Does my ecu need to be unlocked

Zack

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Absolute Zero White 2020 Toyota Supra
Hello, I have a 2020 Supra that was purchased in early 2019. I have kept it bone stock and about 1 month ago I had a very weird issue where the car went into a limp/overheat mode and would only allow for low boost/acceleration and on the performance meter it would max at 200hp/tq so I brought it into my dealership. They said they weren't sure what the issue was and that they thought it would need a ecu update (Very strange, I tried to inquire more but they said they didn't know the real reason for it) so I paid for my ecu to be flashed/updated and then it was fixed. I also have never heard of that issue happening, and looked over multiple forums and didn't find anybody else with that issue.

Now I am looking into finally getting a downpipe and tune, but I am not sure if they have locked my ECU with that flash/update and wouldn't want to purchase a JB4/BM3 and have it not work/brick my ecu. So how would I figure out if my ECU is locked, and who are the best people to send or bring my ECU to in order for it to get unlocked. I live in the Los Angeles area and am willing to drive out in order for it to get unlocked.

Thanks for the read and help!
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
All Supras can safely JB4, it doesn't 'touch' the ECU in that way. At all. JB4 is a piggy back.

But your 2020 is unlockable, might need a bench unlock though.

If you haven't seen or heard of an A90 going into limp mode you didn't search hard enough. I'd have a reputable shop give the car a once over.

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I own a 2020 as well and I am in the process of getting it tuned with ecutek.
When I used the phone dongle, Visconti tuning told me that I'm locked. He told me that
if I got the safety recall, that will lock the ecu as well.

Good luck

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I paid for my ecu to be flashed/updated
:eek::hmm:
Why???? It's warranty item. There's a recall for ecu update. How much did you pay? Get it back.

HoosierRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
They said they weren't sure what the issue was and that they thought it would need a ecu update (Very strange, I tried to inquire more but they said they didn't know the real reason for it) so I paid for my ecu to be flashed/updated and then it was fixed.
You paid for an ECU update on a car with a warranty? What??

OP
OP

Zack

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
All Supras can safely JB4, it doesn't 'touch' the ECU in that way. At all. JB4 is a piggy back.

But your 2020 is unlockable, might need a bench unlock though.

If you haven't seen or heard of an A90 going into limp mode you didn't search hard enough. I'd have a reputable shop give the car a once over.
thank you for the response and clearing up my confusion. And it wasn't that I haven't seen A90's going into limp mode, its that it wasn't fully a limp mode as I could drive over 30mph and at any rpm, it was in an overheat mode.

:eek::hmm:
Why???? It's warranty item. There's a recall for ecu update. How much did you pay? Get it back.
You paid for an ECU update on a car with a warranty? What??

Ill send screenshots below, I questioned it as I have a 5 year extended warranty that covers literally everything but their service manager said this in text messages:

The ECU Update ended up being ~$400 and I even tried arguing about it in person but they pretty much told me to screw off and finessed me, it left me pretty pissed off for a bit but all I really cared about is that my car was back and driveable with no drivetrain issues, definitely not going back to that dealer though (Thousand Oaks Toyota).

Attachments

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
thank you for the response and clearing up my confusion. And it wasn't that I haven't seen A90's going into limp mode, its that it wasn't fully a limp mode as I could drive over 30mph and at any rpm, it was in an overheat mode.

Ill send screenshots below, I questioned it as I have a 5 year extended warranty that covers literally everything but their service manager said this in text messages:

The ECU Update ended up being ~$400 and I even tried arguing about it in person but they pretty much told me to screw off and finessed me, it left me pretty pissed off for a bit but all I really cared about is that my car was back and driveable with no drivetrain issues, definitely not going back to that dealer though (Thousand Oaks Toyota).
The recall update absolutely should be covered if that's what you're referring to.

Also, good on you for spelling your name correctly.

<3 always,
Zack.

OP
OP

Zack

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The recall update absolutely should be covered if that's what you're referring to.

Also, good on you for spelling your name correctly.

<3 always,
Zack.
So before this incident, I had previously been in for the recall update, so this was a second update for some reason unless they lied and didn't update it the first time and then came up with that bs excuse.

Goon on you as well, glad there are some of us zacks left in the world ;)

Reactions: zrk

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Something seems odd with the dealer. If your car is not modified performance wise and you are under 3 years 36k miles everything should be covered other than wear items.

HoosierRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
You should call toyota and complain. That issue absolutely should not have been out of pocket, he's full of shit.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Yea something doesn't seem right here. I would get in touch with Toyota corporate and send them that paperwork stating the dealer strong armed you into paying for service on a car with a warranty.