Driver's side window switch, side mirrors, and blind spot monitoring lights on mirrors stopped working

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 MR2 Turbo, 2018 Honda Civic Sport, 2020 Supra
I noticed this morning that the folding side mirrors aren't folding in and that the controls in the car won't operate them to angle the mirrors or fold them in either. I washed the car yesterday, but can't see why this would have any impact on this. They were working prior to the wash though. Is there a fuse that could have failed and caused this? I'm not near the car now, but just trying to figure out what to check tonight when I am before resorting to taking it in to a dealer.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
lol this happened to me too after a good wash! it took a few days, but everything returned back to normal eventually. i dont think the waterproofing is great around the mirrors

OP
OP
zamiel

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lol this happened to me too after a good wash! it took a few days, but everything returned back to normal eventually. i dont think the waterproofing is great around the mirrors
Thanks. Hopefully that's all it is.

OP
OP
zamiel

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So it looks like nothing on the driver's side door switch is working. I can't put either window up or down from that switch, adjust the mirrors, or fold them in. I checked fuses F20 and F21 for the windows and both were fine. I'm not sure what to check next.

TheDude22386

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
If nothing's working at all, best guess would be the door wire harness connection. Could just be not plugged in. Wiggle itself loose if it wasn't locked.

OP
OP
zamiel

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Everything started working again the other day. At first intermittently, but now everything seems to be functioning consistently. I think it's what Supra CRNA said and that the waterproofing around the mirrors is lacking. I think water got into something in the driver's side mirror and caused problems until it finally dried out.

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Were the Mirrors folded in prior to wash?
I have hand washed and machine washed but keep the Mirrrors open and have had no issues

OP
OP
zamiel

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The mirrors were open when I washed it and closed afterwards. I'll try to be more careful about hitting the mirrors with too much water next time I wash the car.

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
Happened to me, months ago. I tried everything including disconnecting the battery.

Woke up the in the morning few days later and everything worked. Its been months and never happened ever again.

I thought it was a sequence I tried the remote holding the open door button down which seemed to work at the time even though the window switch and mirror button didnt. The mirrors folded as well when holding down the remote button. So i knew it wasnt a fuse.

I thought I was the only one with this issue. It only happened once in my ownership.

OP
OP
zamiel

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
After confirming that the fuses were fine, I found that my windows would still go down if I held the unlock button on the remote, but the mirrors wouldn't fold at all. The buttons on the driver's door switch also wouldn't light up. It kills me that you have to remove the entire door panel to remove the triangles by the side mirrors on the inside. I was going to try unplugging the connection to the driver's side mirror to see if that was somehow shorting things out to the door switch. But then it just started working again on its own. Hopefully this doesn't happen again, but if it does, hopefully it will be while the car is still under warranty.

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's won't help disconnecting and and reconnecting I tried it it didn't work for me.

Rather Lock your car with remote and leave it overnight open it with the remote

aangelisc

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Toyota Supra Pro (Inozetek Metallic Midnight Purple), MKVII Toyota Celica VVT-i (Spectra Blue Mica), Volkswagen e-Golf (Deep Black Pearl)
This happened to me (I made a thread about it elsewhere). The mirrors aren't sealed properly against water. I had to take mine to a dealership and have the whole mirror unit replaced.

OP
OP
zamiel

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks! Do you know if they improved the design to prevent this from happening again with your replacement mirror?

aangelisc

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Toyota Supra Pro (Inozetek Metallic Midnight Purple), MKVII Toyota Celica VVT-i (Spectra Blue Mica), Volkswagen e-Golf (Deep Black Pearl)
So far I haven't had the issue resurface again (although it took a few months to show up in the first place). They didn't mention that the design has changed in any way but I'm hoping so.

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
two days ago washed my car with a high pressure washer. And my left side mirror decided to stop folding and I could not adjust the left mirror either. It took two days to dry out and everything now works again.
Sponsored