Car & Driver Dyno Results: The 2020 Toyota Supra Makes More Power Than Toyota Claims

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
My only worry is that this car doesn’t behave like it makes those numbers. I have seen quite a few videos and it launches very decently. I’d expect a car with those numbers to do be a tire shredding monster.

So either it doesn’t make those numbers or it’s dialed in perfectly
You gotta remember that Supra is not that light 3372lbs ~ 1530Kg
Cayman S 3000lbs ~ 1360Kg
FRS/86/BRZ 2800lbs ~ 1270Kg

I really do wonder where we can shed some weight off the car. I wish A2Mac1 company performed tear down on it...
Sponsored

spamthechan

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Prius V, Porsche Boxster

I really do wonder where we can shed some weight off the car. I wish A2Mac1 company performed tear down on it...
I read somewhere Toyota went too crazy with the weight savings and had to get BMW to shift the engine back to regain 50/50 weight distribution. I wonder if they settled at 3372lbs because whenever they tried to take more out it ended up being front-heavy. Not sure where they can shed weight in the front half.

dgh

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 RX7; 2011 Toyota RAV 4
My only worry is that this car doesn’t behave like it makes those numbers. I have seen quite a few videos and it launches very decently. I’d expect a car with those numbers to do be a tire shredding monster.

So either it doesn’t make those numbers or it’s dialed in perfectly
But it's performance numbers, 0-60, qtr mile, do suggest those numbers. Certainly, 3.8s to 60, and 12.3 s qtr miles is not possible with 335 hp, 365lbft torque in a nearly 3400lb car. The HP/torque numbers C & D found do make sense with these performance figures though.

Car and Driver also did talk about the difficulties of launching the car wothout a lot of wheelspin.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Random thoughts: Having the battery and few other things in the back is perhaps a first for Toyota, this could have balanced out a few things. Also not having a spare tire shaved weight from rear. I guess having such a short wheelbase complicates weight balance. Tiniest thing you put, upsets balance.. Emission wise, I don't recall the exhaust layout now, but gotta assume it's complicated and heavy. Potential titanium weight savings. I don't quite get the rest of the weight. No back seat.. i guess it's all to stiffen up the chassis??

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
[QUOTE="XtremeMaC]
I really do wonder where we can shed some weight off the car. I wish A2Mac1 company performed tear down on it...[/QUOTE]

Could start with the 2 10 inch subs in the hatch for starters. The base car should be a fair bit lighter, would be nice to know how much.

I bet the factory wheels are a little piggy too. These days you have to do a -1 upgrade to improve performance and ride quality.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's

The 718 S is 3169lbs ~ 1438KG. Given that its a "4 cylinder turbo", it kinda compares to the 2.0T A90 (which is 3196lbs/1450kg)

The bonnet is quite large, although it's aluminum IIRC. Wheels could be another place for a bit of weight reduction. one of the reviewers said they where 24.3lbs and 25.4 lbs F/R vs ~19lbs aftermarket ones.

race Seats, lithium battery or subs-delete are like 150lbs at least! but that would hurt the 50/50 weight distribution given their location.

ichitaka05

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
Shaving weight will be tough for this car. Keep in mind, if you want to make This car near 50:50 ratio, you gotta shave off weight from the front more than rear. I requested Tada-san to shave 20kg more. He laugh & said that it’s going to be tough. Maybe tuners can help give him an idea where Supra can shave. I told him, aftermarket will work on lighter parts that easy for owner replace, Toyota can work on lighter parts that hard for owner to replace, like a roof.

Maybe when Supra come out, we can make a list of OEM weight vs aftermarket weight, so it help both other owners & Tada-san shave some weight.

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
the 14-way seats are crazy heavy and you can drop the subs as well; that's easily over 100lbs (out of the Premium)

other than that, it's going to be small weight savings here and there because honestly the car is pretty light in this day and age.

Last edited:

spamthechan

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Prius V, Porsche Boxster
Unfortunately the seats and subs are in the back half of the car which means you will be over 100lbs lighter over the rear axle, messing with the 50/50 ratio. In fact part of me wonders if those large, completely unnecessary subs in the back were put there to help with the weight distribution.

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
You'll lose a lot of weight replacing the huge muffler with an aftermarket unit, they usually weigh a ton on BMW's. Although the one on the Supra doesn't look too huge

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Have any of the reviews even mentioned how the subs sound? lol
They're not great lol. Solid rattle at 70-75% volume with some bassier tracks. Need to spend some more time with EQ settings in one though
Sponsored