ECU Bricked during Recall Update…

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
I sent in my 2021 Supra to the dealership yesterday for the recall. They spent an entire day on it and told me today that, after a long call with Japan and Toyota engineers remotely taking over, they couldn’t do it and basically my ECU won’t “take” anything now. So basically it’s brick. The car is dead, can’t move, can’t do nothing, until they get a new ECU. And of course, the ECU is on national (or global?) back order, so I’ll have to wait who knows how long.

The dealership was pretty good regarding other things that they did on my Supra so I trusted them. (See my other post about the jammed hatch). They said they did the recall on other Supra(s) before but don’t know how things got wrong this time.

I was lured by the supposedly full screen carplay. Stupid me. Now my plans for the last couple trackdays in the season are all ruined. Just put new RT660s on and got new pads ready to be installed. :(

The only plus is dealer offered free loaner and I picked a 4runner. From the small sports car to that big ass truck!

Anyone experienced similar issue during the recall?

C08CEA86-045A-4A4B-9CFF-BCAE0CA929A8.jpeg
Sponsored

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I sent in my 2021 Supra to the dealership yesterday for the recall. They spent an entire day on it and told me today that, after a long call with Japan and Toyota engineers remotely taking over, they couldn’t do it and basically my ECU won’t “take” anything now. So basically it’s brick. The car is dead, can’t move, can’t do nothing, until they get a new ECU. And of course, the ECU is on national (or global?) back order, so I’ll have to wait who knows how long.

The dealership was pretty good regarding other things that they did on my Supra so I trusted them. (See my other post about the jammed hatch). They said they did the recall on other Supra(s) before but don’t know how things got wrong this time.

I was lured by the supposedly full screen carplay. Stupid me. Now my plans for the last couple trackdays in the season are all ruined. Just put new RT660s on and got new pads ready to be installed. :(

The only plus is dealer offered free loaner and I picked a 4runner. From the small sports car to that big ass truck!

Anyone experienced similar issue during the recall?

C08CEA86-045A-4A4B-9CFF-BCAE0CA929A8.jpeg
There is another thread on this - ECU bricked

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/dealer-bricked-my-ecu.10790/

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Man, this sucks. I feel HORRIBLE for you, and truly appreciate that you're being reasonable with the dealer about it, because I'm sure they're internally irate this happened, and in crisis mode with Toyota.

Keep us posted on how this goes.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
If your dealership begins attempting this update without the car being on a battery tender, stop them.
Only a Master Technician with Supra Certification can perform the recall, so they of all people will know about the battery charger/tender requirements. I don't see how that mistake could be made.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Only a Master Technician with Supra Certification can perform the recall, so they of all people will know about the battery charger/tender requirements. I don't see how that mistake could be made.
I'd bet a beer that's what's causing these.

BuyHighSellLow

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Premium, MK6 Jetta
Sorry dude! I got super concerned about mine cause it took them ALL day, then they said they had issues and needed to keep it over night. Luckily they got it done and I was all set the 2nd day, but I was super worried.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
This is why I’m waiting until after the last autocross and just before I put it away for winter. So around December if I don’t decide to skip it entirely.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
This is why I’m waiting until after the last autocross and just before I put it away for winter. So around December if I don’t decide to skip it entirely.
Are they going to allow you on a track without the recall being done? NASA sent me an email a few weeks ago saying I would need to awknowledge that the recall will or has already been performed prior to my track day.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Are they going to allow you on a track without the recall being done? NASA sent me an email a few weeks ago saying I would need to awknowledge that the recall will or has already been performed prior to my track day.
I do autocross only now. We aren’t that concerned.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I heard a few dealerships were turning off the scan tool to reset them during the updates and messed up everything.
It’s like when your smart tv is updating and there is a warning sign saying not to unplug…
Sponsored