Engine Oil Recommendations

fuwoz

First Name
Jerold
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra
For someone doing hard driving with the 2020+ Supra, what engine oil options are recommended?
Sponsored

BigRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5 A90
Why this one?
Toyota recommends ACEA -C5 and API SN (+)

and what do you mean with ā€œhard drivingā€? :p
Like on track or just pedal to the metal?

If itā€™s on stock whp just use the 0w20 C5 SN (+) like Toyota recommends.
You can use a cheap one like Shell Helix mumble mumble C5 SN and change it frequently or go for Ravenol, Castrol or Liqui Moly Longlife which last much longer, like 15-20k miles.
Due to my tuning I have to change oil every 7000-9000 miles depending on how hard I drive so I go for a cheap one the Shell Helix C5 SN. There is a station near my location where I can go whenever I want and they do it for 130 bucks (including the oil and the filter ofc)

For track days go for Motul, Ravenol or Castrol Edge 5W40.

Iā€™m driving a lot on German Autobahn 180mph+ (I have a Stage 1 Custom tune with 435hp with vmax removed) with the 0w20 and 0 problems till now.
more like after changing the oil every 7000-9000 miles the oil looks very good. Like dark brown like it should be.

just donā€™t go crazy after cold start. Wait 15-20 miles at least if you donā€™t have access to oil temperature.

LMNFCTR

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
For the Supra, I'm using Amsoil.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Why this one?
Toyota recommends ACEA -C5 and API SN (+)

and what do you mean with ā€œhard drivingā€? :p
Like on track or just pedal to the metal?

If itā€™s on stock whp just use the 0w20 C5 SN (+) like Toyota recommends.
You can use a cheap one like Shell Helix mumble mumble C5 SN and change it frequently or go for Ravenol, Castrol or Liqui Moly Longlife which last much longer, like 15-20k miles.
Due to my tuning I have to change oil every 7000-9000 miles depending on how hard I drive so I go for a cheap one the Shell Helix C5 SN. There is a station near my location where I can go whenever I want and they do it for 130 bucks (including the oil and the filter ofc)

For track days go for Motul, Ravenol or Castrol Edge 5W40.

Iā€™m driving a lot on German Autobahn 180mph+ (I have a Stage 1 Custom tune with 435hp with vmax removed) with the 0w20 and 0 problems till now.
more like after changing the oil every 7000-9000 miles the oil looks very good. Like dark brown like it should be.

just donā€™t go crazy after cold start. Wait 15-20 miles at least if you donā€™t have access to oil temperature.
Here we go againā€¦that rating and this manufacturer specs. šŸ’€šŸ˜‚

Liqui Moly has a proven track record among the B58xx community. I exclusively run this oil and have the Blackstone reports to show my engineā€™s health is strong.

-RJM

BigRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5 A90
I just wanted to provide a different perspective.
There is a lot of discussion around that I know but the ā€œwhyā€ question doesnā€™t get fully answered at least for me.

the real question is: is the manufacturer recommendation based on fuel consumption and eco friendliness mainly or is it because they did the testing and have the experience?
Or a mix of both.

afaik the a3/b3 is for the B58 without OPF, while the Supra A90 has the B58 TU1 with OPF.
The US and European engines are not exactly the same but Iā€™m not that deep into it.

based on those specs a recommendation would be
Ravenol FES SAE 0W-30.

donā€™t get me wrong I just havenā€™t found an real explanation why itā€™s better to use the A3B3 one.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just ordered this from autozone, canā€™t wait to pour in the hood stuff! What oil change interval do you follow?
Iā€™m going to wait for the damn car to tell me, since we donā€™t have a dipstick šŸ˜­. I swear you used to be able to look at oil and if it was amber, you were good to go. Black and it was time to change. Now Iā€™m wondering if it was all a dreamā€¦.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is the way.

-RJM

62CE4259-B394-43AE-98D7-4E362AED93D8.jpeg
Thanks for all your testing Sir. Thatā€™s what I went with tooā€¦. At least itā€™s sitting in my garage waiting for one of the million sensors to alarm šŸšØ alert ā€¼ on this car and let me know itā€™s not happy.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Iā€™m going to wait for the damn car to tell me, since we donā€™t have a dipstick šŸ˜­. I swear you used to be able to look at oil and if it was amber, you were good to go. Black and it was time to change. Now Iā€™m wondering if it was all a dreamā€¦.
Back in simpler times! I want dipstick too, i wonder if it could be retrofitted. The 10k interval seems too long, Iā€™ve been doing 5k but maybe I can stretch to 7.5k hmmmm

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a million sensors for it. However I just changed my brake pads before that sensor came onā€¦. But I was able to look at the dadgum things. So thereā€™s that šŸ˜œ

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
I just ordered this from autozone, canā€™t wait to pour in the hood stuff! What oil change interval do you follow?
Once every 5k miles if I'm not tracking it. Otherwise, always some fresh oil before the first track day of the season, and then once every 2 track days during the season (just before the next one so the car is on fresh oil -- I also carry some oil with me to the track just in case).
Sponsored