GR Supra resale values: Is the Supra gonna depreciate like the germans? / Expected Depreciation

Z4UPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a 2022 Supra 3.0 Premium as my daily driver, but the thing that is holding me back is the depreciation. I normally like to buy cars that don't depreciate much, so the total cost of ownership is low. Right now it looks like the Supras are selling at or above MSRP which is crazy.

However, for those that are going to hold onto their Supras for the next few years, what do you think a Supra 3.0 Premium with 36k miles and 3 years old will be worth? Depreciation of $5-10k is something I could stomach, but not more. I'd normally buy a limited edition version, but the A91-CF version isn't worth it (also I hate the two tone interior).

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jimmy
You can use the link below as a base.
https://caredge.com/toyota/supra#depreciation

There are so many factors that may not hold true for the results. There are not that many Supras out there and if the demand continues, the price will break rules. Supra also has this "X" factor that gravitates people toward it.
Sponsored

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
Have you looked at the Salvage Registry? That alone will keep the MK5 from steep depreciation. They’re dropping like flies.

If you put 15K miles per year on a Supra I will be impressed. It will take me 7 years to hit 36K miles.

-RJM
I agree, 15k a year is more than double what I'm putting down now. I've had the car for exactly a year now and I'm at 6k. I also drive the car as much as I can too.

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a 2022 Supra 3.0 Premium as my daily driver, but the thing that is holding me back is the depreciation. I normally like to buy cars that don't depreciate much, so the total cost of ownership is low. Right now it looks like the Supras are selling at or above MSRP which is crazy.

However, for those that are going to hold onto their Supras for the next few years, what do you think a Supra 3.0 Premium with 36k miles and 3 years old will be worth? Depreciation of $5-10k is something I could stomach, but not more. I'd normally buy a limited edition version, but the A91-CF version isn't worth it (also I hate the two tone interior).

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jimmy

Personally, I purchased this vehicle with the intention of enjoying the car. I did not care about warranty, depreciation and reliability. Granted, I know a lot of people are interested on retaining the warranty by keeping the car stock.

I guess what I'm trying to say is; I purchased the vehicle because I have/had no intention of ever selling or trading it in. I purchased the vehicle because of the name, Supra and because I wanted to spend days/nights swearing because I am having a hard installing mods.

Side note: Idk about anyone else but this car can get a bit expensive. That might be something you want to factor in when deciding to purchase. You can buy a lot reasonably priced aftermarket parts but there are also some really expensive ones out there.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Mine is going to appreciate because ECU is tunable.. yes it is. :hmm:

Sports cars aren't suppose to be economical.. it might be best to stick with a GTI with stock intake.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is going to appreciate because ECU is tunable.. yes it is. :hmm:

Sports cars aren't suppose to be economical.. it might be best to stick with a GTI with stock intake.
Is your Supra a MY20 or MY21? Cause if it's a 2021, take it in for that recall and that'll change lol

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I dunno, if OP is going into the purchase wondering what the car will be worth in 2024, it may make more sense not to buy it, put the money into real estate, and get an old Prius or something when used car prices moderate. Cars, especially new cars, especially new sports cars, are not an investment. I definitely would not buy over MSRP, but if you find an MSRP deal, better to buy the car and enjoy it or bow out than go in with the mindset of worrying about depreciation.

But yeah, like others said, lease residual is probably the best bet and even then it is tough to predict. With the chip shortage projected to drag on for a few years combined with leaner inventories, it's difficult to say what 2024 looks like. I think, on balance, modeling $5-10K depreciation over 3 years on a $50-55K car is a bit optimistic.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m not an expert in any of this but my anecdotal opinion is that it will hold value more than other cars because of the introduction of EVs, the current market, and the very unique appearance in addition to the low volume. I plan on holding on to it though just like SD_MK

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
So what would happen if the 2021's become tunable? It's only a matter of time :thumbsup:

I still haven't gotten around to double checking if mine is tunable yet.. hmm..

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Welp, the car is done in 2025 so I guess we will find out in a couple of years.

As many have said - buy it for you and dont worry about the depreciation loss. If it does bother you that much, in a year or so pick up a used 2020 - or just lease it.

Many cars that nobody wanted and were "firesaled" have been going up in price even before the Pandemic: Good condition 04-06 Pontiac GTO; Pontiac G8 GXP, Chevy SS's, Lexus IS-Fs, late 90s/early 2000 Hondas, late 90s/early 2000 Acuras, Mitsubishi Evo 8's...im sure many other folks have other good examples too.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0L Premium, buncha Miatas, others....
I think what will be a short production run will help keep resale high.
As of now I could sell mine for more than I paid for it, which is pretty nuts.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Is your Supra a MY20 or MY21? Cause if it's a 2021, take it in for that recall and that'll change lol
Just above your wake no wakaran avatar, my car list shows a 2020 Supra. So I'm safe! :headbang:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Have you looked at the Salvage Registry? That alone will keep the MK5 from steep depreciation. They’re dropping like flies.

If you put 15K miles per year on a Supra I will be impressed. It will take me 7 years to hit 36K miles.

-RJM
I put 8k miles on mine since end of June. At this rate I’ll be over 20k+ miles a year so yeah, I don’t care much about depreciation lol.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase