Extended warranty

dhcooper

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra premium 3.0
I purchased my 2021 3.0 Premium last month and added the extended warranty to 75k for $3500 through Toyota. I am sure this may have been asked before but have people had issues past the manufacturer’s 36k warranty? I have a few more days before I can cancel the extended warranty and get my money back. I am trying to decide it it is worth the money. $3500 seems like a lot for around another 40k miles. Also, I am wondering if people have had issues with getting things covered under the warranty. Thanks
Sponsored

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
I’ve read many articles over the years, and most of them say not to purchase them. It is pure profit for the dealer.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Extended warranty benefits are subjective. I had it on a Land Rover and it paid itself off. I managed to get it for free on an Audi TT, and I never used it. The Supra, being a BMW, might need it. I could’ve gotten a five-year warranty, with zero deductible, for $1500 from my credit union, but I decided to wait till near the end of Toyota’s warranty. The extended warranty starts from date of purchase so the overlap-time with Toyota’s is wasted.

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
OP, as @MyCorolla said. Being that it's a BMW it might need it. That was my reasoning at the time of purchase and got the extended warranty.

I guess it depends on you. Are you keeping it stock? My intention at purchase was to keep it stock. Now, I have so many bolt on's and just waiting for an unlock to tune. I knew that making any changes could void my warranty and I'm okay with that.

So.... in my opinion; skip the extended warranty if you're going to mod. Why pay extra for a potential warranty denial?

OP
OP
dhcooper

dhcooper

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra premium 3.0
Managed to find some of the older threads and I tend to agree with what people have said about not getting the extended warranty, at least until near the end of the manufacturer one ends. I went from a BMW 535 and had to use the factory warranty at 50k due to the AC going out. It would have cost me over 5k if I had to pay out of pocket. This basically being a BMW, I was concerned but I can always reassess when at 30k. In addition, I think I overpaid for the warranty any way. Thanks for the input.

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
In the older threads it has a contact for Jennifer who works at a Toyota. You can get a much cheaper deal from her. I got Toyota plantinum 8yr 75k for $1075.
Refund yours and go that route if you want the warranty. I figured it’s a bmw, if I use it once it’ll pay for itself.
Or just wait until the factory is about to run out and buy then. Probably what I should have done.

OP
OP
dhcooper

dhcooper

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra premium 3.0
In the older threads it has a contact for Jennifer who works at a Toyota. You can get a much cheaper deal from her. I got Toyota plantinum 8yr 75k for $1075.
Refund yours and go that route if you want the warranty. I figured it’s a bmw, if I use it once it’ll pay for itself.
Or just wait until the factory is about to run out and buy then. Probably what I should have done.
Oh wow! I would def want to go that route. If you know what thread that is, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Oh wow! I would def want to go that route. If you know what thread that is, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Do you one better, here’s her email.
[email protected]
Jennifer taylor.

Shoot her an email saying you saw on the forums she was the one to reach out to for warranty. That’s what I did and she sent me back a chart of yrs/mileage/cost. Super simple.
Hopefully she still works there, that’s kinda why I jumped on it vs waiting to be out of warranty.

Traxion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I bought my 10yr/125k warranty from her the other week. She's still there. You will need to cancel the service agreement with the original dealer first. Go ahead and message her though, she will be able to look and see with the VIN if it's already registered in the Toyota system. If it is, you'll need to wait until it's cancelled there before you buy from her because if you buy the service plan from her and then the original dealer submits the cancellation, it might accidentally cancel your new plan.

If are you within 30 days of purchase it should be easy to cancel. Might be a few extra hurdles to jump through after 30 days but it should still be possible.

Edit: Old thread for reference. Prices are still accurate. https://www.supramkv.com/threads/extended-warranty-did-you-get-one.2027/page-10

Last edited:
OP
OP
dhcooper

dhcooper

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra premium 3.0
I bought my 10yr/125k warranty from her the other week. She's still there. You will need to cancel the service agreement with the original dealer first. Go ahead and message her though, she will be able to look and see with the VIN if it's already registered in the Toyota system. If it is, you'll need to wait until it's cancelled there before you buy from her because if you buy the service plan from her and then the original dealer submits the cancellation, it might accidentally cancel your new plan.

If are you within 30 days of purchase it should be easy to cancel. Might be a few extra hurdles to jump through after 30 days but it should still be possible.

Edit: Old thread for reference. Prices are still accurate. https://www.supramkv.com/threads/extended-warranty-did-you-get-one.2027/page-10
Very cool. Thanks for the info.

PhantomCypher

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra A91-CF Edition
Prepaid maintenance toyotacare to add to the compendium. My originating dealer wanted $2,480 for the 5 year/70k.
image.png

OP
OP
dhcooper

dhcooper

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra premium 3.0
Prepaid maintenance toyotacare to add to the compendium. My originating dealer wanted $2,480 for the 5 year/70k.
image.png
Anyone done the math on service plans? Based on suggested maintenance, I wonder what it would actually cost.
Sponsored