First HPDE with the Supra

ApexMissingApe

Reaction score
Car(s)
G8 GXP
I had my first track weekend with the Supra and I’m really impress with how it did. For various reasons, I wasn’t able to do any track prep on the car before the event. I went in with stock brake fluid and haven’t even had a chance to get the car aligned after I installed the Z4 Eibach springs. Aside from the springs, the only other mods were 18mm spacers out back/15mm front and an MST intake.

The car has great damping and let me run over the curbing without upsetting the chassis, has good initial turn in and I never felt any significant brake fade, which surprised the hell out of me.

This was also my first time driving an automatic at the track and holy hell - it’s so much more calm. I haven’t decided if that’s good or bad yet. I will say that the auto performed nearly flawlessly. There were only a few occasions that I felt I should’ve been in a different gear when I left it in auto.

I ended up getting a best lap of 1:41. It’s only about 1 second slower than my previous car, a Camaro SS 1LE. I expected it to be at least 3 seconds slower around that track so I’m really happy with that 1:41.

I do have a few complaints, though. I’m not comfortable with how much body roll it has and I wish it had more grip in the high-G corners. Stickier tires would give me more body roll so I’m guessing I need to get some adjustable sway bars to pair with track tires. It’s also too damn quiet, so I see and catted DP and Awe exhaust in my future.

TLDR - Car better than expected. Happy.
4AEB93E8-8727-4624-B2E0-2FC9658BB83D.jpeg
Advertisement

TYRFRYR

Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Check the audio on my Autocross Videos. Active Autowerke DP and a AWE Resonated Touring.

Rear camera is suction cup mounted right next to the license plate.

OP
OP

ApexMissingApe

Reaction score
Car(s)
G8 GXP
Check the audio on my Autocross Videos. Active Autowerke DP and a AWE Resonated Touring.

Rear camera is suction cup mounted right next to the license plate.
That sounds perfect. Would a catted DP combined with my MST intake be safe to run without a tune? I know I won’t see significant power gains without a tune, but I just want to be sure it’s okay to hammer it on the track and have the factory tune keep everything from going pop.

TYRFRYR

Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
That sounds perfect. Would a catted DP combined with my MST intake be safe to run without a tune? I know I won’t see significant power gains without a tune, but I just want to be sure it’s okay to hammer it on the track and have the factory tune keep everything from going pop.
I can't speak to anything other than the Active Autowerke DP, but I have zero issues without it being tuned.

As long as the MST doesn't require any tuning, you should be fine.

romanLegion9574

Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
I'm running both without a tune. You should be good to go. As you said, not too much of a gain without one.

RedMK5

Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Red Supra
I had my first track weekend with the Supra and I’m really impress with how it did. For various reasons, I wasn’t able to do any track prep on the car before the event. I went in with stock brake fluid and haven’t even had a chance to get the car aligned after I installed the Z4 Eibach springs. Aside from the springs, the only other mods were 18mm spacers out back/15mm front and an MST intake.

The car has great damping and let me run over the curbing without upsetting the chassis, has good initial turn in and I never felt any significant brake fade, which surprised the hell out of me.

This was also my first time driving an automatic at the track and holy hell - it’s so much more calm. I haven’t decided if that’s good or bad yet. I will say that the auto performed nearly flawlessly. There were only a few occasions that I felt I should’ve been in a different gear when I left it in auto.

I ended up getting a best lap of 1:41. It’s only about 1 second slower than my previous car, a Camaro SS 1LE. I expected it to be at least 3 seconds slower around that track so I’m really happy with that 1:41.

I do have a few complaints, though. I’m not comfortable with how much body roll it has and I wish it had more grip in the high-G corners. Stickier tires would give me more body roll so I’m guessing I need to get some adjustable sway bars to pair with track tires. It’s also too damn quiet, so I see and catted DP and Awe exhaust in my future.

TLDR - Car better than expected. Happy.
4AEB93E8-8727-4624-B2E0-2FC9658BB83D.jpeg
How do you sign up for the nasa membership thing? I bought my car in September and still haven’t heard anything from Toyota.

OP
OP

ApexMissingApe

Reaction score
Car(s)
G8 GXP
How do you sign up for the nasa membership thing? I bought my car in September and still haven’t heard anything from Toyota.
Not sure. I usually track with Porsche Club America, BMW Club, or Just Track It. I actually forgot about the NASA membership. I need to look into that.

Since all the cool kids are running DPs and intake without a problem then I will too. Just in time for Black Friday deals.

Kiske

Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
They do it at the dealer and will mail you a folder with your card, sticker and info on the events. Mine came about a month after the sale.

Advertisement

Advertisement