First time at the track

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
So over the weekend I went to the drag strip for the first time. All I have done is an AA catted downpipe and titan protune. The track is 1/8 mile and the crew I run with has a rule of street tires. So my very go was 8.0 second 8.1 third, 8.7 and that was because it had started raining prior to that and I slid all over and just kind of let up. Didn't want to chance anything. What times should I be realistically looking at getting with this set up? Again 1/8 mile track. What else can I do? Any tips??? I have an AA exhaust coming this week, which I know isn't much, but should help a tiny bit.
Sponsored

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
So over the weekend I went to the drag strip for the first time. All I have done is an AA catted downpipe and titan protune. The track is 1/8 mile and the crew I run with has a rule of street tires. So my very go was 8.0 second 8.1 third, 8.7 and that was because it had started raining prior to that and I slid all over and just kind of let up. Didn't want to chance anything. What times should I be realistically looking at getting with this set up? Again 1/8 mile track. What else can I do? Any tips??? I have an AA exhaust coming this week, which I know isn't much, but should help a tiny bit.
Post up your slips, what was your 60?

Just an estimate but I think a 8.0 in the 1/8 would be about a 12.2 quarter mile time.
For reference, I hear the best stock time is somewhere around 11.7? My first outing stock I was at 7.846 at 91.96 in the 1/8 for a 12.105 in the quarter. I just added dp and tune, I'll be back to the track on the 12 to see how much it was good for. It certainly feels a whole lot faster on the street now.

Are you using traction control, or are you just launching manually and at what rpm? I hear some people get pretty good times launching in 2nd since it'll build a bit more boost.

OP
OP
Jackyl tm

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'll get slip posted, at work now. I was using traction control and running it in auto. My 60 was 1.7 I believe if I remember correctly. Feel like I should be in the 7s. Need more practice I think. With a downpipe and protune I should be running better than your stock times. Maybe around 7.6 or so?

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
I'll get slip posted, at work now. I was using traction control and running it in auto. My 60 was 1.7 I believe if I remember correctly. Feel like I should be in the 7s. Need more practice I think. With a downpipe and protune I should be running better than your stock times. Maybe around 7.6 or so?
Just went back to the track with DP, OTS Tune, and ~E30, couldn't get a decent 60. With a 1.9 I was down to 7.6's in the 1/8 at 92. I tried launching in 2nd, it was just spin city on boost for me on street tires.

OP
OP
Jackyl tm

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nice. Yeah the group I run with we run street tires. And I can't run E30 with a titan pro tune, wouldn't do anything. Gonna go to track again soon. Hopefully get into the 7s. I mainly want to beat my buddies car. Cts v sedan with ported blower, tune, pulley and full exhaust. He runs around a 7.6
Sponsored