Follow-up post for my grad school project

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
This is a follow-up to my other thread on steering wheel feedback.

I'd appreciate some evaluation on my prototype based on the feedback from my survey in that thread, as well as several opinions.

Link to the evaluation survey (again, I'm not recording any information here, and I'm not affiliated with Toyota or BMW in any way; this is just for my grad school final project). Thanks in advance!

Prototype of the new steering wheel for reference, and the link is also in the survey as well:
Steering-Wheel-redesign.png

Edit -- Stock button layout for reference:
mk5-supra-stock-steering-wheel-buttons.jpeg

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an artist, and the diagram tool I used was for software architecture, so the shapes aren't perfect. I'm looking for feedback on the functionality of the wheel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
if it helps, I'm really happy with the below steering wheel (minus the M buttons, as I cheaped out)
You can easily skip/ next/prev.
Left side is pretty much reserved for cruise control.
Mode: Can change the cruise control mode (just hold speed, dynamic, full auto below 40mph & in traffic)
scroll adjusts speed up/down. no click
distance buttons work as buttons.

On the right are audio/phone/nav/etc.
Right/left arrows are actual buttons
scroll is clickable
mid button brings source menu.

heated str whl button.

-x5_m-sportsactivityvehicle-11085-21240459-18-1024.jpg

source: https://www.penskeluxury.com/detail..._activity_vehicle-used-5ymju0c06n9j78770.html

comparison.png

comparison - Copy.png

OP
OP
romanLegion9574

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bumping this back up so I can get some more evaluation feedback. TIA!

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
I always found volume on the right side to be odd. Prefer it on the left. Also, I like a one-click mute option.

I donā€™t know why OEMs like the volume on the right. If I was going to use my right hand, I could just get to the volume knob.

Having cruise on the left seems wasteful as Iā€™m typically not fiddling with cruise that often once itā€™s set, especially with adaptive cruise control.

Just my $.02.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Having cruise on the left seems wasteful as Iā€™m typically not fiddling with cruise that often once itā€™s set, especially with adaptive cruise control.
Where else? it's either left, right or it's separate arm, which is added complexity and cost.. :)

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
Actually, I thought about it, and for RHD cars, the volume on the right makes more sense to me. I imagine they just donā€™t want to build a different wheel for LHD.

OP
OP
romanLegion9574

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honestly, I expected less people to actually use the cruise control given this is more an enthusiast's car than a commuter. When I was figuring out what people and didn't before making a prototype, I wanted to see if the assumption was true.

Wj100

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium, 22 BMW X3 M40i, 02 Miata SE
I personally miss the days when cruise control was a stalk mounted on the steering wheel column. Much more intuitive to push to cancel and pull to resume rather than looking down at steering wheel buttons IMO.

SmartSelect_20220421-141255_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
romanLegion9574

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I personally miss the days when cruise control was a stalk mounted on the steering wheel column. Much more intuitive to push to cancel and pull to resume rather than looking down at steering wheel buttons IMO.

SmartSelect_20220421-141255_Chrome.jpg
If I had more time, I'd think about a design that would maybe use the stalk for adaptive CC.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If I had more time, I'd think about a design that would maybe use the stalk for adaptive CC.
I think that'd prove to be difficult. Possible for basic cruise control but not for adaptive/dynamic cc. Too many things to control. That'd be a large or 2 stalks...

Powaup

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
I fall into the opposite camp and love that the adaptive CC controls are on the wheel, an ideal wheel would have all the functions available and no need for stalks ala-Ferrari. McLaren Artura has also a crazy steering wheel/dash design that worth checking out

Kmj442

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 RDX, '12 Cooper S
I just want a skip song button on the wheel. I wear polarized sunglasses when its nice out and when I do I can't see the HUD so the scroll wheel option is harder and the skip/replay buttons are all the way on the right of the presets.

Mild annoyance but thats really my biggest complaint with the button layout.
Sponsored