Front spacers recommendation for track work

Lordhowe

First Name
HG
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Yaris
I'm running a set of 18x10 APEX ET30 squared wrapped in 275/40-18 Eagle F1 Supercar 3's + Camber plates to get about -2.3 of camber up front. Since the Goodyear runs a bit wider than similar-sized tires, I've noticed a slight rubbing between the spring perch and the tire.

After reading APEX tech article, I'm thinking about just running a 5mm spacer. The best option that I found so far is the Future Classic spacer kit.
I've never run spacers on the track before and while it's only 5mm, I wanted to get some input from folks that track their cars. I mostly care about safety and will be leaving the spacer there when I swap back to the factory wheel/tire setup.

Thanks for the input
Sponsored

OP
OP

Lordhowe

First Name
HG
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Yaris
That was my stance, but after reading a few other fellow track rats' posts, it seems like a 5mm spacer is pretty common on the track.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
5mm is nothing, just make sure they are hub and wheel centric (which those look like they are) and you run the proper length lugs.

I ran 10mm on my track evo for years with zero issues. Much heavier car.

People that say that spacers on track is a no-no, don't really understand how it works or used crap-tastic non hub/wheel centric spacers in the past.

Tribeq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2015 A3
That was my stance, but after reading a few other fellow track rats' posts, it seems like a 5mm spacer is pretty common on the track.
I believe Jackie Ding used to run 15mm all around before switching to coilovers and he pushes his car harder than most ever will. Future Classics spacers look incredible. Iā€™m waiting on some 12ā€™s and 15ā€™s from them myself.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah what? Iā€™m confused. Everyone and their mom has spacers on their Supra. And people donā€™t run them on track?

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Spacers basically change your offset of the wheel and will move the center of the wheel away from the hub which will increase wear on wheel bearings and increases your scrub radius.

Scrub radius, if I remember correctly impacts your Toe when accelerating/braking, which can ruin your front end feeling.

This also happens with aftermarket wheels that have different offsets that push the center of the wheel further out.

Spacers on cars that use wheel studs usually need longer studs pressed in, or will be bolted to the OEM studs and then new wheel studs will be attached to the spacer and then the wheel will be attached to the spacer - in our OEM configuration we just put a disc between the wheel and hub and use longer bolts, which in my opinion is safer than using the aforementioned wheel studs.

More info:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/what-is-scrub-radius-and-why-is-it-important/

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-...l-spacers-on-front-geometry-and-handling.html

With all of that being said - you should be fine on the street; and most of us are on lowering springs that make the car look great but who knows if it impacts mechanical grip. It's one of the reason I went with Swift springs as they are supposed to be tested with using the OEM shock travel and bump stops.

Callabrator

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Refraction Blue A91 Edition Supra
I have Future Classic 12mm and 15mm spacers on mine. I've driven it hard on the track 4 times now with no issue.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I run 5mm spacers on all 4 corners. although it is not needed on rear, it will increase wheel base just about as same as front so added it. it does look better than just having it front which i used when i was doing alignment. - I only had 1 pair available at them time. I also checked /w my tech who is also a track instructor, he concurred that 5mm is not enough to upset the alignment.

so to clear your tires, slap in those 5 mm spacers on all 4 corners and check alignments.. as for bolts, 5 mm is just enough for stock bolts but on the edge. to be comfortable, you should get long enough bolts but better yet, get APEX stud kit. ask tom for proper size. stud kit will make it a lot easier.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Just ran an all day session at Auto Club Speedway this weekend. And pushed the car VERY hard. Ran sub 2min and hit 150-160mph every lap.

I worked with Jackie Ding, PhD Racing, on my setup:

18in square setup
Eibach springs
18x10.7 Titan 7 TS5
Motorsports Hardware:
-Studs 14Ɨ1.25-14Ɨ1.5* 78mm
-Spacers 15mm front, 12mm rear
275/35/18 Falken RT615K+

This is for maximum tire width and performance without rubbing (on springs)

Hope this helps. Only time I rubbed all day was when I hit the fuuuuccckkk out of a curb one lap and bottomed out my front left lol. Hit is an understatement, I launched the left side of my car. Lmao

All in all, incredible setup for what's available without coilovers

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
I would never run spacers on the track. IMO. But thatā€™s just me being over cautiousā€¦..
I'm in the same boat as you. A buddy of mine got spacers (not in a Supra, but still worth the quick write up), and had to get rid of them because of thermal expansion during spirited driving. The spacers started pushing the lugs out (you could rotate them by hand).

Extreme case that occurred, but track driving is much more intense than spirited driving, and there's a lot of factors, like amount of expansion, the offset you've got on your wheels, material quality, etc. etc.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
i have run 20+ track days with spacers and studs. If you install properly, you will not have any issues

If bearings go prematurely- meh- throw it in the consumables column.
What pieces and parts do you have?
Sponsored