FT-1 MKV Supra Benchmarks?

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
What cars do you think the Ft1/future supra will be benchmarked against?

Off the top of my head, the C7 seems like a good choice. Camaro Z28?
Sponsored

FT1freddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S

It'll now also have to be benchmarked against the GT350 Mustang which should be about $50-60k and pack 500+hp. Tough order.

Nadeshot!

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My trusty Jeep
And don't forget the M4 coupe, C63 AMG coupe, and yea C7 definitely.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast

Camaro Z/28 is like a stripped down car totally geared for the track though. Don't know if it's fair to compare a car like that without AC and radio to a car like the Supra which can be daily driven.

PanMD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camaro Z/28 is like a stripped down car totally geared for the track though. Don't know if it's fair to compare a car like that without AC and radio to a car like the Supra which can be daily driven.
It doesn't have to be fair. We're talking about what cars the Toyota engineer should benchmark the FT1 Supra against and absolutely Z28 should be one of them. It's gotten a ton of great reviews in the press and evluations. If the MKV supra can put up Z28 #'s we're all in for a treat!

NeroZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S Release Series 1
I'd like to see it benchmark against the GT-R even if it doesn't end up with its performance specs. But would be nice if it got close... Toyota should have their own Godzilla.
Just look at how much press Nissan has gotten because of the GT-R. So if Toyota is lookin to inject some sport image to the brand thats what they should do.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
I'd like to see it benchmark against the GT-R even if it doesn't end up with its performance specs. But would be nice if it got close... Toyota should have their own Godzilla.
Just look at how much press Nissan has gotten because of the GT-R. So if Toyota is lookin to inject some sport image to the brand thats what they should do.
I have no probs if Toyota wants to give us a GT-R level type of car for un-GT-R pricing :D

NeroZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S Release Series 1
Here another. How about try company's own upcoming LF LC coupe. Just got approved so and if it's the Lexus halo sports car it should have the performance to back up the looks.

OP
OP
FRS-Man

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
Here another. How about try company's own upcoming LF LC coupe. Just got approved so and if it's the Lexus halo sports car it should have the performance to back up the looks.
Except it might be an LF-A level type of car so totally different league?

PanMD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The benchmarks are going to be what the GT350 Mustang benchmarked - 911, Corvette Stingray, Z/28, M4, and the GT350 also. These are the cars getting all the praise these days so you can sure as hell bet Toyota is going to measure development against them.

PanMD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Except it might be an LF-A level type of car so totally different league?
The bmw/toyota joint development is supposed to be for a mid sized sports coupe so i think this bit if news is talking about an entirely diff thing.
The Supra doesn't stand a chance against the LF LC if it's an LF-A successor.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Based on the interviews of the designers and the quotes from Akio Toyoda, the MkV Supra will be a premium flagship sportscar to Toyota just as the GT-R is to Nissan. However, given the different design ethos and FR layout of the car, it's going to focus less on the electronic wizardry and more on the traditional sportscar feel, so it might fall a few seconds short on nurburgring time and not offer 2.8 second 0-60 times.

I don't think they've per-se benchmarked any specific car (like many do the 911 Turbo or Ferrari's V8 sportscars), but instead have sought out to simply deliver us an amazing car. However, when the designers talk about the car it seems like the 911 gets mentioned quite a lot.

Given the design and suspected price point of the car, and given that Toyota is not a luxury brand, the logical nearest competitors will likely be Corvette and GT-R, and perhaps the top-end Mustang offering and sub-100k luxury alternatives.

Keeping in mind that the original GT-R pricetag started in the $60s (which subsequent price increases were largely due to increase in the price of the yen (which has since dropped off considerably)), and given that the FT1 should be slightly simpler design with no complex 4WD layout, it seems reasonable to expect a MkV Supra that competes with GT-R for a pricetag under $70k.

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
Rumors are the GT350 will start at ~$53k. Base C7 Corvette MSRP is $54k. If the FT1 is priced at $60k then the base C7 won't be a good enough target. Toyota would need to offer Z06 level performance for Stingray prices if they want to be successful. That's how Nissan started with the GTR and then subsequently increased prices every year.

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
Agree that the base C7 is not good enough of an aspirational benchmark. Consider that the GT350 Mustang is said to have been benchmarked against the 911, Ferrari California, Z28. I'd expect right around this range... and in 2 years there will be a few newer and better cars to be benchmarked against.

daboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
various
Based on the interviews of the designers and the quotes from Akio Toyoda, the MkV Supra will be a premium flagship sportscar to Toyota just as the GT-R is to Nissan. However, given the different design ethos and FR layout of the car, it's going to focus less on the electronic wizardry and more on the traditional sportscar feel, so it might fall a few seconds short on nurburgring time and not offer 2.8 second 0-60 times.
Internet benchracers will troll hard if it doesn't match or beat x, y, or z (insert competitor) nurburgring times. I want to puke everytime I start reading ring time arguments online. But I like those words spoken by Toyoda and Tada about the Supra and what they're shooting for. How ultimately it's about how the car drives. :bow:

Keeping in mind that the original GT-R pricetag started in the $60s (which subsequent price increases were largely due to increase in the price of the yen (which has since dropped off considerably)), and given that the FT1 should be slightly simpler design with no complex 4WD layout, it seems reasonable to expect a MkV Supra that competes with GT-R for a pricetag under $70k.
That's exactly what I wanna see. A Godzilla fighter from Toyota! The great magazine review titles that we'll get to enjoy.

Godzilla vs King Kong (Supra)!

Sponsored