Advertisement

Functional vents possible?

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by KillxPoint, Jun 25, 2020.

1. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    To develop the A90 in-house the first time would have meant a longer development time, meaning the car would have been released in a different emissions (both external and internal to Toyota) requirements time, meaning the car would have been vastly different and most likely not a turbo 6. It would also have been crazy expensive. Remember the R35 and NSX that mouthbreathers often claim "they did it in-house, why not Toyota" were pre-GFC cars and are still running on that old architecture.

The C8 is good value and in-house, but, it was designed with a more-limited market (can you even sell it in Eu?) and Chev doesn't have the holistic goals as a company that toyota do regarding emissions and EVs. So yeah, good luck Toyota getting one car to break the company rules.

The A90 and BMW partnership was really the best way to get a car that drives so similarly to the old Supras (I'd know, I have 4 of them) in this generation. The next thing will be vastly, vastly different

/end rant

Bryster and F1 Silver Arrows like this.
  2. HabibiPerformance

First Name:
    Nope
    Car(s):
    Supra MKIV
    Liked:
    At this point in time, anything anybody says about why Toyota did what they did with BMW is a THEORY, not a fact and also also, excuses. With all due respect.

I Mean, everyone says the same damn thing... And obviously it boils down to Toyota did not want to spend the mullah to develop a "NEW" supra because of costs associated with it. They went with the easier option and cheaper option which it is to farm out the tech, and badge engineer the rest. (not the best, and definitely not "Toyota" standard, I'm sure you can agree with me on that,) condensation issues, boost issues, and what not ..does not equate to a Toyota product as all of us have come to enjoy, boring or not boring...

You know that any Toyota motherfucker will run without oil, if you had to. But on the other hand, if you know BMWs, Mercedes, and other euro brands, hell to the no. You are fucked with your balls in your hand when One of these mofos fuk up... Know what I mean?

I mean, sure there are already so many threads in circulation about that experience, it might not be the norm, but still an unnecessary fucking problem nonetheless.

U can't deny that in house built Toyotas are just the standard, bar none. Have you seen an engine sing? Try the LFA, try the LS, sheet, even the IS still holds it's own today... Yeah, it may be too much for the layman, but okay... .Toyota wanted to build the supra so it could be more affordable, blah blah blah, that's why they have the 86, I mean c'mon...., They could have priced in house above the 86 and below a GTR...and that would make a halo car for Toyota, not this piece of sh#t... And also, if you have driven 4 supra mkiv's, I would EXPECT you to know the damn difference. I owned a bunch LHD and Currently own a RHD....., man...., If you lot can only actually drive a properly done up MKIV, I guarantee you that you will just say fuxk this shit, I'm getting a mkiv turbo tomorrow.

I mean no disrespect as this is the *New* shots forum, but man---- 5x120s is definitely ain't a fucking Nippon product.

Cheers.

DesmoSD, Villa Jonny and splv like this.
  3. splv

splv Active Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Car(s):
    2006 IS350
    Liked:
    lol your post was funny to read, g. I do agree with you on this point though. Regardless of the excuses, Toyota whored out the Supra nameplate to save some money. Don’t get me wrong, I like the car and plan to buy it but the BMW should have been called something else.

4. Villa Jonny

Villa Jonny Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
    Liked:
    Tech
    Garage Profiles:
    I hear ya, dawg. I was about to buy one but they were having issues turning on the instrument cluster. I told him that I will rather wait a bit more. Might check the 2021 ones out instead.

IMG_20200703_200249_489.jpg

Captain_Kirk and Bryster like this.
  5. peppersam740

peppersam740 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    Jag F-type,, 2020 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    retired
    Where did the vent thread go ?

6. Ultimateone

Ultimateone Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    AW A90
    Liked:
    lmao

Captain_Kirk, MA617M and peppersam740 like this.
  7. splv

splv Active Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Car(s):
    2006 IS350
    Liked:
    MKV Supra vents were DOA just like this thread. Tada is a quack selling a stupid idea of having the aftermarket make the fake vents functional. Might as well not have any fake vents to start with.

justbake, Villa Jonny and DesmoSD like this.
  8. Bryster

Bryster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Car(s):
    Nothing,considering a Civic DX
    Liked:
    Hate to burst your bubble, but every car you listed is a dinosaur

F1 Silver Arrows likes this.
  9. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    #39 Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    I have a properly done up A80 turbo, A60 turbo and an A70 turbo, as well as an A90.

I've owned them all from stock, and modified them all with new parts, not second hand pleb bin specials.

and, I've tracked them all (not A90 yet, and not stupid drag strip - actual circuit work). The A90 feels like a Supra.

10. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Car(s):
    5G 4Runner, MK7 Golf, AZW LE Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    This argument is so incongruent. You’re literally comparing it to 1. A car that is well known for being completely and utterly a Subaru with an IS300 diff, and 2. A car that was an complete failure in the market, so much so you can still buy a brand new one a decade on.

Also, that’s nice you think the MKIV is great today. Sure it’s nice for a 30 year old design, but there is no way that a car that old will be anything like a modern recreation. Just imagine the difference between a 993 Carrera and a 992 Carrera, one of them literally doesn’t even have a radiator! All cars today are more isolated and comfortable, that’s just how things are and will continue to be.

11. DesmoSD

DesmoSD Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
    Liked:
    +1 Toyota has been playing with your emotions. Not only Toyota but modern cars. None of the vents are functional, esp the door. Maybe you can put some LED's in there. :rofl:

Toyota-Camry-2018-1280-5e.jpg
    [​IMG]

Jabba and justbake like this.
  12. Dannyvandelft

Dannyvandelft Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Danny
    Car(s):
    Ordered A91 edition Supra
    Liked:
    Don't know why they didn't just name it 2000GT since that's what it's modeled after :dunno:

Toyota-Supra-A90-2000GT-silhouette.jpg.237f8220c369000c943757a9ffbf75a6.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Captain_Kirk likes this.
  13. justbake

justbake Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    F10 535i
    Liked:
    I understand that he has to misdirect a little bit in his interviews but that him using the aftermarket as a reason/excuse is still the dumbest thing he has said. This is one of the worst cars to mod aesthetically. I would love to see an aftermarket front bumper, but the sensors make that difficult and even Toyota couldn’t modify the car to put the front bumper sensors in a good spot. The worst part is that there will never be a good solution for the door vent that cleans up the side profile. And the black plastic front lip, rear lip, and side splitters can’t even be removed to clean up the exterior

splv and DesmoSD like this.
  14. F1 Silver Arrows

F1 Silver Arrows Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
    Liked:
    Because the Supra name is cool. I personally wanted to see the legendary nameplate make a return.

15. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked: