Chief Engineer Says Supra's Blocked-Off Air Vents Can Be Made Functional / Functional vents possible?

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
Yeah, his videos make me feel uneasy they’re so frenetic. Anyone know how he has so many expensive toys? Good for him, just wondering how a guy like that makes his living.
He's got 2 million subs on Youtube. Probably sells his own merch and gets that sweet AD Revenue from his videos.
Sponsored

Oxytal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MR2 SW20
They've tested it with the vents open and the engineer said it didn't really provide much benefit so they kept them closed. Some people have spotted that there's a duct on the passenger side that could be opened up but the road cars house a radar there.

They're pretty much just a design thing at this point. At least they're not overtly fake a la Civic Type R.

JackieD86

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jd86racing.com
Car(s)
Supra A90, AE86, S2K AP2
Hi All! Glad you guys enjoyed the video ha. I was just a little too fed up with clueless people bombarding me with the fake vents comments that I just had to put it to rest. Like I said in that video, instead of making fake vents real, we are gonna focus on simply creating real vents and placing them at proper areas around the car, mostly on the front clamshell. Super excited to finally join the forum and be able to discuss with you all, and you can follow along with our journey here on my TA90 build post!

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
Hi All! Glad you guys enjoyed the video ha. I was just a little too fed up with clueless people bombarding me with the fake vents comments that I just had to put it to rest. Like I said in that video, instead of making fake vents real, we are gonna focus on simply creating real vents and placing them at proper areas around the car, mostly on the front clamshell. Super excited to finally join the forum and be able to discuss with you all, and you can follow along with our journey here on my TA90 build post!
Welcome to the forum and I never heard of you until I got a supra and started watching your feed. Great job and keep up the good work!

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
Thanks for the video Jackie, and good to have you on board. I remember when I saw some of the early review videos and looked under the hood, it was obvious those vents weren't going to be remotely useful, plus you'd have to hack up the hood panel bracing to even get through the other side. Same with pretty much every other vent. I am OK with them as cosmetic accents and it's too bad there has been a misconception that they were real or tuner-ready.

trakday

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
1969 Camaro Z/28 Trans Am race car, 2011 E92 M3 GTS, 1997 E36 M3 race car, 2020 GR SUPRA, 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 Trail Boss
well executed video!
From a tracking perpective….I would be curious if you can fit 295 square tires on that baby, obviously major camber will be taken into account. but this car would stick!!!!!!

JackieD86

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jd86racing.com
Car(s)
Supra A90, AE86, S2K AP2
well executed video!
From a tracking perpective….I would be curious if you can fit 295 square tires on that baby, obviously major camber will be taken into account. but this car would stick!!!!!!
From what I've heard, the N24 Supra had 18x11 wheels front and rear with 305 slicks squared set up, so 295 should be doable. That said, front tire clearance with the stock dampers is marginal (spring seat and springs are big), so upgrading to coilovers should help a ton. We are limited in Gridlife to 285 max size, and 295 in GTA, so might try the 295 idea out soon.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Nice video Jackie. Even watching the launch video and teaser pics, I could not envision any functionality with all of the "fake vents"; even after Tada mentioned they can be made functional.

Are you planning to hack up the OEM hood or go with an aftermarket/lighter hood to experiment with?

WrinkledApple

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
Jackie Ding, who has been tracking his Supra, goes onto a rant on why it's pointless to try to make the fake vents functional.

Webweasel

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GT4 ST205, A90 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
This has already been posted. Mods should merge or delete the thread.