twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
This is an older article, but I believe Toyota has confirmed a US market model.

Hopefully, it's not watered down. If they bring a 250-275 HP, AWD, 6-spd manual, turbo hatch...They may have a winner on their hands. It'll compete with the GTI, WRX and probably pull sales away from the Type-R Civic being AWD.

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/gr-corolla

https://carbuzz.com/news/theres-an-exciting-toyota-gr-corolla-hot-hatch-update
Yes to all. And don't forget the twin front and rear mechanical Torsen LSD package option. It would be extremely annoying to have to source those parts from Japan and pay extra for a driveline shop to install them and risk voiding the warranty in the process just to get the hardware that should come on the car from the factory.

Huddleston

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
See Sig

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
What if itā€™s a Celica?

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
The 90's are back.... :thumbsup:
Enter Chris Harris, quote," is not a Subaru it's a Toyota"
Subaru and Toyota plotting AWD super hatch
February 11, 2021
wrx-sti-2-y7n9.jpg

Japanese car-makers team up to create long-awaited replacement for the WRX
Subaru and Toyota are set to follow-up the BRZ and 86 coupe with a small all-wheel drive turbocharged hatchback that draws inspiration from rally cars in their 1990s heyday.
According to Japanā€™s Best Car magazine, the new hatchback will be Impreza-sized and powered by a Subaru-sourced 2.4-litre turbocharged four-cylinder boxer engine and come with a symmetrical all-wheel drive system.
Itā€™s set to be based on either Toyotaā€™s highly flexible TNGA architecture or the Subaru Global Platform, with a sole purpose to create a high-performance vehicle rather than a run-of-the-mill family hatch.
Expect plenty of exotic weight-saving material to be used to boost stiffness and keep the kerb weight comfortably under 1500kg.
wrx-sti-generations-dish.jpg

Itā€™s thought the RAV4-derived all-wheel drive system used in the latest Toyota GR Yaris was considered but ultimately ruled out because it wouldnā€™t be able to cope with the extra torque a powerful Subaru WRX or WRX STI replacement would require.

It would also need significant re-engineering to be adapted to work with a boxer-style engine configuration.
Thereā€™s no word on power but, since in naturally aspirated form it produces a healthy 170kW and 249Nm of torque under the bonnet of the incoming second-generation BRZ, the turbocharged version is expected to comfortably produce more than 300kW and deliver peak torque of more than 500Nm.
toyota-celica-v-sprb.jpg

Since the Subaru version is almost certain to carry the ā€˜WRXā€™ or ā€˜WRX STIā€™ name, itā€™s feasible Toyota could use it to bring back the Celica it rallied to huge success in the 1990s.
Recently Toyota set enthusiasts into a tailspin after filing a fresh patent application for the famous nameplate, and now some are suggesting that following the success of the GR Yaris, a Toyota GR Celica GT-Four could be in the pipeline.
A timeline for the new models has not been revealed, but itā€™s believed a skunkworks team of Gazoo Racing engineers working in partnership with Subaru could deliver them in less than two years

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Now the big question I have is: are we still getting a 260hp+ 1.6L 3-cylinder AWD 6-speed M/T powered Celica GR hatchback in addition to this Toyota and Subaru collaboration on a new WRX STI and new Celica GT-Four/GR-Four... or is the Celica GR powered by the GR Yaris drivetrain now scrapped in favor of this co-developed model?

I recall reading a rumor about Toyota and Subaru co-developing a future two-door coupe style AWD rally high performance platform a few years ago. This may have been as far back as 2016 or so. The rumor died off as soon as it came about.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Now the big question I have is: are we still getting a 260hp+ 1.6L 3-cylinder AWD 6-speed M/T powered Celica GR hatchback in addition to this Toyota and Subaru collaboration on a new WRX STI and new Celica GT-Four/GR-Four... or is the Celica GR powered by the GR Yaris drivetrain now scrapped in favor of this co-developed model?

I recall reading a rumor about Toyota and Subaru co-developing a future two-door coupe style AWD rally high performance platform a few years ago. This may have been as far back as 2016 or so. The rumor died off as soon as it came about.
I think this is pure conjecture and rumor mongering on the media's part. Such a vehicle would step on the toes of the GR corolla and on the impreza.... no logical sense at all.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think this is pure conjecture and rumor mongering on the media's part. Such a vehicle would step on the toes of the GR corolla and on the impreza.... no logical sense at all.
It may have been conjecture of course. I am not getting my hopes up for a development like that but Iā€™d be delighted if there were any truth to it.

Then again over the last five years or so Subaru has said that it might split the regular Impreza and WRX/STI into separate platforms in the future. And that I can see making sense for them.

If Toyota were to be involved to share the costs of a standalone WRX/STI + Toyota variant then it might make sense given that it would be expensive for Subaru to go it alone giving the WRX/STI its own platform and design while they have to take the regular Impreza (and Legacy, Forester, etc.) in a different direction.

Again, Iā€™m not expecting anything like this but Iā€™ll be pleasantly surprised at whatever their announcement involves.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
That'll be cool, the 2019 Corolla HB XSE was the vehicle I traded in to get my Supra. That thing was surprisingly fun to drive and planted for an economy car. I was hoping they would make an AWD turbo version.