GR Supra 3.0 vs S650 Dark Horse Mustang

spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981 Boxster GTS, LX570
Here's what we know so far about the DHM. Think S550 Mach 1 (inluding a Tremec six-speed, not the craptacular MT-82), but with 500 hp from a gen 4 Coyote with twin intakes (all Coyote-powered S650s will get this set up, but with less hp), GT500 forged connecting rods, GT350 brakes and "inspired" suspension. The 10-speed auto will also be optional, as will carbon fiber wheels if you also pony (heh) up for the handling package.

Let the games begin :)
Sponsored

DDantas

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 bmw 328d
I'm really happy Ford is committed to continuing putting V8s with manual transmissions at an affordable price, keeps the ICE sport car competition alive and well.

Will probably beat Supra in sheer numbers as well, but I like the Supra for the design, luxury materials, and that sweet inline 6. But hey, competition is always good :).

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'm really happy Ford is committed to continuing putting V8s with manual transmissions at an affordable price, keeps the ICE sport car competition alive and well.

Will probably beat Supra in sheer numbers as well, but I like the Supra for the design, luxury materials, and that sweet inline 6. But hey, competition is always good :).
Right? I applaud Ford for keeping the V8 alive in their sports cars. If I ever make a jump into the RWD V8 American scene (which is likely as my next fun car), it will most certainly be into one of these. Also, they were the only American car company not to take the government bailout money during the recession in 2008, so I have some respect for how they weathered the storm without using taxpayer dollars. Anywho, yeah, I feel a lot like you - would most certainly beat the Supra in a straight line. More importantly (to me), will be interested to see how it does around a road course!

supralewigi

First Name
lewigi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X1 and M2 Competition
Here's what we know so far about the DHM. Think S550 Mach 1 (inluding a Tremec six-speed, not the craptacular MT-82), but with 500 hp from a gen 4 Coyote with twin intakes (all Coyote-powered S650s will get this set up, but with less hp), GT500 forged connecting rods, GT350 brakes and "inspired" suspension. The 10-speed auto will also be optional, as will carbon fiber wheels if you also pony (heh) up for the handling package.

Let the games begin :)
Not a fan of mustangs but the s650 mustang, especially the dark horse, will likely blow the doors off a stock Supra in almost every performance metric (on paper). But I'm a sucker for the Supra so would still take the Supra haha

Prowl647

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 4Runner, gt350 (sold)
I think at this point the S650 will be released before we will be able to get our hands on a m/t supra

That said I have owned two Mustangs, one of which being the gt350. I have tested several supras. Both cars offer different experiences and I would say they are at the same fun factor. I can say the recaros in the mustangs I've owned are fucking terrible and caused me great sciatic nerve pain where as the supra seats felt amazing. The body positive leather seats in the mustangs, however, are very nice, and by the looks of it are going to be an option in the s650s along with the old torture recaros in the s550s

OP
OP
spectre

spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981 Boxster GTS, LX570
Troll responses aside, I'm surprised people think the DHM will walk all over the Supra 3.0. Does the Toyota not hang with, or beat the current Mach 1 around a circuit or in straight line? The DHM only has 20 more hp vs the M1, but apples to apples it will probably amount to 450-460 at the wheels, and less wheel torque than the Supra as well. Not to mention all things (transmission options) being equal, the Mustang is also carrying around an extra 4-500 lbs.

Supra Cat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0, 4Runner, Mustang GT/CS, NA Miata
Troll responses aside, I'm surprised people think the DHM will walk all over the Supra 3.0. Does the Toyota not hang with, or beat the current Mach 1 around a circuit or in straight line? The DHM only has 20 more hp vs the M1, but apples to apples it will probably amount to 450-460 at the wheels, and less wheel torque than the Supra as well. Not to mention all things (transmission options) being equal, the Mustang is also carrying around an extra 4-500 lbs.
This leaderboard pic from Throttle House is a bit out of date, but it shows two iterations of the Mustang clearly competitive with the Supra. There haven't been any power improvements to the GR since '21. Meanwhile Ford has been upping the ante.
Screenshot 2022-09-16 135639.jpg

Last edited:

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor
In a straight line, Supra has the advantage on the 6MT on the current gen mustang in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile ET. S650s will need to bring their ET down a half a second (on 6MT) models to match a stock ZF8 Supra.

Current 10R80 mustangā€™s run 10s 60-130 which beat stock Supras. I believe the 10R80 mustangs also beat stock times in the 1/4 mile.

I fully expect stock for stock, the 10r80 S650s will walk stock supras in all straight line metrics.

Canā€™t wait for new stock S650 owners to run into modded Supras. I donā€™t see a lot of stock supras entertaining races, but thereā€™s no shortage of stock mustang drivers trying to get a run in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spectre

spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981 Boxster GTS, LX570
This leaderboard pic from Throttle House is a bit out of date, but it clearly shows a couple iterations of the Mustang clearly competitive with the Supra. There haven't been any power improvements to the GR since '21. Meanwhile Ford has been upping the ante.
Screenshot 2022-09-16 135639.jpg
I stand corrected, I guess. I just checked Car and Driver's Lightning Lap times as well...

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

Still, I want both. Don't think I'll get approval from the bank of wifey, however :)

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner