GR Supra Oil on National Backorder

DennieC

First Name
Dennie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
Took my car in for its 10K service and Service Advisor calls stating the GR Supra oil is on national backorder. They would be unable to do the oil change. After further discussion with their District Service Manager, they ended up getting oil from the local BMW dealership for my car. Is anyone else getting similar responses from their dealers? I find it hard to believe Toyota cannot supply such a common item needed for basic maintenance.
Sponsored

626A90

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Yeah, same here in SoCal. Took my car for an oil change and last minute, got a call that they didnā€™t have enough oil and they werenā€™t sure when they were getting more. All of a sudden they had enough oil which confused me. But they did use the correct oil.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W30 ("QSFS") is dirt cheap and just about the best wear resistance you can buy at the moment. 540Rat and BITOG are going bananas over it. Hard to believe a 5Q jug is only like $23.

High Performance Lubricants Heavy Duty Engine Oil ("HPL HDEO") is top of class for 30 weight but is a bit obscure relative to strolling into your local wally world for 7Q of QSFS for $40.

This car also has no issue with 40 weight. BMW happily recommends 0W40 and 5W40 oils via their LL01 spec for every B58 engine car and market except the US. There's nothing special about the US B58 in the Supra.... Except we have laws called CAFE that hold companies to corporate average fuel economy (Cafe), and the bare minimum OEM 0W20 improves gas mileage.

So when you see that xW20, just know it's not being recommended for bearing clearances. Or wear protection. Or durability. Or anything mechanical. It's being recommended because it helps Toyota drag up the average MPG of its lineup, while providing lubrication that just squeaks by the mechanical minimum specs for street use of the Supra.

The factory Toyota 0W20 oil is one big homage to the US CAFE gas mileage laws and is not the best option. Upgrade to something heavier and don't look back. Your engine will be more reliable and it won't go on national back order!

Last edited:
OP
OP

DennieC

First Name
Dennie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
Thanks for the update and feedback. Part of me wonders if the Toyota oil is on National Backorder because they are looking at changing the oil spec due to the oil usage issues. I did ask about supplying my own oil since they were out but my dealership said no. I then stated I would just change it myself and the Service Advisor tried to tell me I couldn't because it takes specialty equipment and a computer. Time to find a different dealership or just stick to doing it myself. I just find it rediculous that a company as large as Toyota would not have alternatives or advise other options with something as important and common for a vehicle's maintenance.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I understand that people are putting in 5W-30 for valid reasons but what really is the harm in using 0W-20 for street and daily driving? Has anyone run into warranty issues or hassle because you used an unrecommended oil type?

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I have an oil change scheduled for this coming Friday and just called Parts Dept. to make sure they have enough GR Supra oil in stock...they do...

I also have no issue with excessive oil consumption so I'm going to stick with what is recommended...I'm currently at 9800 miles and still shows oil as full!

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
They are doing you a favor, I run Rowe 5w-40, it is much needed in these cars especially if you are modified, stage 2 91/93 you can get away with 5w-30 but on E30+ 40 weight is my personal recommendation, also the 10k intervals are a joke, every 4-5k files.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Yes, it's true. The 1L and 5L bottles are on backorder.

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I understand that people are putting in 5W-30 for valid reasons but what really is the harm in using 0W-20 for street and daily driving? Has anyone run into warranty issues or hassle because you used an unrecommended oil type?
I'ma run stock Oil for the basic driving I do.

I ride a GSXR and people always used to tell me to avoid stock oil for bikes as well, however, I just go to and from work with stock setups.

My 2021 Supra hasn't been chewing through oil so if it isn't broke don't fix it right? :p

I can understand though if people live in certain climates or ditching stock specs.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'ma run stock Oil for the basic driving I do.

I ride a GSXR and people always used to tell me to avoid stock oil for bikes as well, however, I just go to and from work with stock setups.

My 2021 Supra hasn't been chewing through oil so if it isn't broke don't fix it right? :p

I can understand though if people live in certain climates or ditching stock specs.
Iā€™m staying stock performance wise and being in the mid-atlantic it gets fairly cold and hot as well, so I feel like I should just stick with the original. I have a 22 and havenā€™t noticed oil issues at 1200 so unless there are any I feel I should just follow the cookie cutter route

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Iā€™m staying stock performance wise and being in the mid-atlantic it gets fairly cold and hot as well, so I feel like I should just stick with the original. I have a 22 and havenā€™t noticed oil issues at 1200 so unless there are any I feel I should just follow the cookie cutter route
Just run it normal then! I feel like if you're doing maint regularly or when needed then it should be fine.

If it starts eating through that oil you can always just switch it out. Not like you're putting sugar in the engine, right? :p

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
what really is the harm in using 0W-20 for street and daily driving?
Nothing. The oil is synthetic and 0w-20 has been in use for years. You wont be able to tell the difference between and 20 or 30 in normal use at all. I read a post here where an owner had gone a reasonable amount of miles on Ow-20 switched, then was using more on the 30.

Normal use street/daily the oil is fine and protects the engine. The entire oil issue is overblown and over analyzed. Drive, enjoy and change per the schedule unless your use is extreme in some fashion. 95% is not, and does not meet extreme.

I use the oil the makers recommend in all my cars. Zero issues. In Germany my 12 GTi had the number 4 cyl ignition failure and damaged the spark-plug. Parts of it damaged that cylinder badly. When assessing the engine they tested my oil. I was 6 months from the end of the warranty. Had the oil not met spec I would have absorbed the entire cost of the new engine. 9000+ Euro's.

So follow the manual for spec if you change the oil and at least meet that if you go to a 30w etc.

Last edited: