Harry’s Lap Timer

TimM.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra premium
Does anyone use or have feedback on Harry’s Lap Timer?
66CEB670-BD0D-4087-B616-F600551D346A.png
Sponsored

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Yesterday. Red is from a large puddle that was across track. Lol.

Need a second suction cup and I am going to start using their video with embedded data tomo I hope.

Attachments

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
HLT has not been a set it and forget it experience for me. I've found I need to be very patient and perform all the steps correctly if I want to ensure data and video is captured and be able to export video with data/telemetry overlay afterwards (without jumping through hoops to re-sync video & data).

So overall I do not find it super user friendly but does it do what most people would want it to do - including connecting to external OBDii readers, high refresh rate GPS units, GoPros, etc.

Because I am stubborn and am all-in on this app, I haven't explored other options that my friends claim to be easier to use like TrackAddict / RaceChrono/Hotlap etc.

OP
OP
TimM.

TimM.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra premium
Ok, I purchased the petrol head version. Are you guys using an external gps? Or is your phone gps accurate enough? I’m using an iPhone 11 Pro Max with a RAM windshield mount.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Ok, I purchased the petrol head version. Are you guys using an external gps? Or is your phone gps accurate enough? I’m using an iPhone 11 Pro Max with a RAM windshield mount.
I use the compatible external GPS unit as I find it to be much more accurate especially for turns. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E65TNYE/
That said, it's not necessary as long as you're not hoping to have super accurate lap-times as well as more specific speed/location overlay data.

It's all a compromise, really. If you get an external unit make sure you buy one that samples 10x per second, not just 1x - which is what our phones do already. If you watch enough videos online, sometimes you see overlaid speedometers jump or lag - those are usually the result of using the phone's GPS only.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
The video and data overlay worked great at track today

What and how do you secure?
Video was too shaky. I have a suction iPhone holder on windshield
On some recent models of iPhone, the stabilization shake was improved via updated iOS versions, however, you're always going to be better off using an actual action camera such as a GoPro. HLT works with a connected gopro to start/stop recording as well as sync the metadata for you to later render the video with data overlay.

You can also still use your phone for an additional video stream of a different angle, for instance.
Sponsored