Hitting Rev Limiter WOT Shifting

Iconic_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
So long story short I'm hoping for some help with my issues at the drag strip. I have an OTS 93/91 Octane Ecutek tune from a reputable vendor and a catless down pipe. Parts have been installed for around 3000 miles and I have 7500 miles on my 2020.

The issue is while shifting (in automatic mode) near 100 mph at wide open throttle I sometimes hit a rev limiter and it kills my speed. The last time this happened it caused check engine lights and limp mode. I didn't think to try to read any codes at that point. I believe this has only happened while using 93 octane. The last time I used the 93 from Casey's it did not have ethanol content % listed.

My only guess is an issue with fuel type or an issue with the OTS tune itself. If anyone has any answers I would greatly appreciate it.

Similar to issues @NitroYellowMKV @Sereph102889 are having in the thread below:
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/anyone-mess-around-with-60-130-times.10799/page-2#post-156886

EDIT: SOLUTION HAS BEEN FOUND. I ACCIDENTLY FILLED UP WITH E30 93 OCTANE ON MY PUMP GAS OTS TUNE AND THAT HAS BEEN CAUSING THESE ISSUES
Sponsored

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
So long story short I'm hoping for some help with my issues at the drag strip. I have an OTS 93/91 Octane Ecutek tune from a reputable vendor and a catless down pipe. Parts have been installed for around 3000 miles and I have 7500 miles on my 2020.

The issue is while shifting (in automatic mode) near 100 mph at wide open throttle I sometimes hit a rev limiter and it kills my speed. The last time this happened it caused check engine lights and limp mode. I didn't think to try to read any codes at that point. I believe this has only happened while using 93 octane. The last time I used the 93 from Casey's it did not have ethanol content % listed.

My only guess is an issue with fuel type or an issue with the OTS tune itself. If anyone has any answers I would greatly appreciate it.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/anyone-mess-around-with-60-130-times.10799/page-2#post-156886
Don't race in automatic mode?

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor

Sounds like throttle closure. Are you doing your pulls with VSC/Trac off?

Have you data logged the issue? Have you pulled the codes from Ecutek to see any are present?

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
The car will absolutely slow if you hit the limiter hard. I get close to it and im usually fine

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I think its the tune
I think so three. In AT mode it should not hit the rev limiter at all and just shift up.

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP

Iconic_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
Sounds like throttle closure. Are you doing your pulls with VSC/Trac off?

Have you data logged the issue? Have you pulled the codes from Ecutek to see any are present?
Yes all traction control off. I have not data logged and didn't think to check codes the first time it happened.

I might try to replicate it tomorrow but it has not happened often.

I think its the tune
I initially thought so as well, but the company is adamant about their OTS tune being totally safe and proven in hundreds of cars but if I give them more $ they will review my datalogs or upgrade me to a custom tune if I want. I'm too cheap to do any of that so I'm left to figuring it out on my own with you're guy's help. Or swap to a new tune once mine gets erased someday by Toyota for the recall and hope its fixed.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Sounds scammy..

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Yes all traction control off. I have not data logged and didn't think to check codes the first time it happened.

I might try to replicate it tomorrow but it has not happened often.

I initially thought so as well, but the company is adamant about their OTS tune being totally safe and proven in hundreds of cars but if I give them more $ they will review my datalogs or upgrade me to a custom tune if I want. I'm too cheap to do any of that so I'm left to figuring it out on my own with you're guy's help. Or swap to a new tune once mine gets erased someday by Toyota for the recall and hope its fixed.
well if you do the recall, keep in mind you will need to bench unlock the ECU afterwards. Even if its an OTS map I would datalog it and see what's happening. I have a custom e50 tune and after logging we could see that the fueling was dropping out in my 4-5 shift. 93 octane is a little different and the OTS maps are less aggressive to work on wider range of cars. I would not think ethanol content makes a difference on 93 since the probably account for 10% in pump gas.

I would log it anyways and email it to the tuner just to see if they can review it. If you want a revision at that point you can pay for it.

OP
OP

Iconic_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
well if you do the recall, keep in mind you will need to bench unlock the ECU afterwards. Even if its an OTS map I would datalog it and see what's happening. I have a custom e50 tune and after logging we could see that the fueling was dropping out in my 4-5 shift. 93 octane is a little different and the OTS maps are less aggressive to work on wider range of cars. I would not think ethanol content makes a difference on 93 since the probably account for 10% in pump gas.

I would log it anyways and email it to the tuner just to see if they can review it. If you want a revision at that point you can pay for it.
I'm wondering if this 93 octane I'm using has 30% ethanol. Kansas pumps by law don't have to tell you ethanol percentage but I know some pumps around here have as much as E30 in their 93. I just don't know how that jives with the tune but I know its was recommended to stay away from more than 10% E.

I'm not sure these two statements jive very well.
They are a very well known vendor and I kinda don't blame them since its a conservative tune that is in hundreds of cars but I would think it would behoov them to help figure out the issue, I don't think it takes long to look at a datalog and find an issue but I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at since car tuning is not really my thing.

Reactions: zrk

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
Post the logs here. Someone just may review them for free since this is a good group of people.

OP
OP

Iconic_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
Post the logs here. Someone just may review them for free since this is a good group of people.
I'll do some pulls today and try to get something. I don't understand the tuning in regards to fuel type.

If someone can answer why running 30% ethanol is not good on my tune but why running 10% is acceptable. The fuel pump can mechanically handle the extra flow because people are pushing E50. So my question is what is the difference it tunes between an E tune and 93 octane tune?

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
I'll do some pulls today and try to get something. I don't understand the tuning in regards to fuel type.

If someone can answer why running 30% ethanol is not good on my tune but why running 10% is acceptable. The fuel pump can mechanically handle the extra flow because people are pushing E50. So my question is what is the difference it tunes between an E tune and 93 octane tune?
An Ethanol mix tune, be it E30, 40, or E50, will obviously have more ethanol mixed into the fuel which will allow for more knock resistance, which means the Tuner can add more timing and more boost. In your case it sounds similar to the experience I was having, however I only ever saw this issue with the limp mode while using an E-blend tune, the issue never once occurred on any of my 93 octane maps through MHD.

I ended up testing this thoroughly by swapping the car into manual mode and shifting around 5800-6200 rpms and never letting it get into the stage 1 red line, (the yellowish orange section of the tack), and never had the issue again. Also, when I have traction control 1 click off, even in automatic mode, ive now only saw the issue two times and it was during a WOT pull, once again when the car touched right at limiter before shifting, but this is on my E40 custom tune.

Out of the, probably 60 WOT pulls I've done for my tuner for his datalogs, ive always been instructed to keep the car in manual mode and keep traction control 1 click off, and while following these rules ive never seen this issue occur. Now, on my E40 custom tune, I can beat on the car all day long and I don't see the limp mode issue anymore, even in automatic mode, but I do keep traction control set to 1 click off any time I intend to do anything "spirited".

This issue you're experiencing is certainly tune related and if you're working with a reputable tuner, I figure they should certainly be willing to help??
Sponsored