How are people adding BOVs?

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
How are people adding BOVs to their supras? total custom jobs or were they able to get their hands on the HKS charge pipes when they were in stock?
Sponsored

Amfchang

First Name
AMF
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
How are people adding BOVs to their supras? total custom jobs or were they able to get their hands on the HKS charge pipes when they were in stock?
Hks charge pipes were in stock at one point? I thought they still were in the pre-release stage

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
It is not practical to add a BOV, since the B58 engine does not have an inbuilt bypass/diverter/recirculating/blowoff valve, it just uses the electronically controlled wastegate on the turbo, I assume it is more advanced than traditional wastegate valves.

Unless you change the turbos, I don't think you should not be using a BOV. If you do (presumably on charge pipe), it may have unintended consequences with the programmed wastegate function. Could work well though since now boost is now controlled on intake and exhaust side for higher boost applications. Need someone to experiment I guess...

Would be interesting if a shop develops a BOV and wastegate that replaces the stock wastegate, but seems like a lot of work for little/no gain...

Last edited:

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
The wastegate has nothing to do with the B58 pressure bypass system. The wastegate is just that the wastegate and controls boost pressure, not boost pressure bypass.

B58 sequentially shuts off cylinders to release pressure through the exhaust.

B58 does not even have vacuum in the manifold to run a traditional BOV properly. There are more steps needed to put a BOV/BPV on the B58

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
It is not practical to add a BOV, since the B58 engine does not have an inbuilt bypass/diverter/recirculating/blowoff valve, it just uses the electronically controlled wastegate on the turbo, I assume it is more advanced than traditional wastegate valves.

Unless you change the turbos, I don't think you should not be using a BOV. If you do (presumably on charge pipe), it may have unintended consequences with the programmed wastegate function. Could work well though since now boost is now controlled on intake and exhaust side for higher boost applications. Need someone to experiment I guess...

Would be interesting if a shop develops a BOV and wastegate that replaces the stock wastegate, but seems like a lot of work for little/no gain...
your statements are confusing as hell and doesn’t make any sense. What the heck are you even talking about? Lol

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
The wastegate has nothing to do with the B58 pressure bypass system. The wastegate is just that the wastegate and controls boost pressure, not boost pressure bypass.

B58 does not even have vacuum in the manifold to run a traditional BOV properly. There are more steps needed to put a BOV/BPV on the B58
I was trying to figure out wtf a wastegate has anything to do the the BOV after reading that.

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
Apologies for the confusion. I remember reading some time ago that the B58 charging air pressure was controlled by the electronic wastegate (as well as exhaust pressure) and I might have misinterpreted this. I assumed that meant the wastegate did not fully release exhaust pressure but would control the amount of exhaust pressure, to slow the turbo and subsequently reduce charging pressure... (too hopeful I guess)

I think this is the bit that might have confused me...

charging.PNG

kmai0605

First Name
Vu-Khoa
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TL (my two leggs boo hoo hoo)

so its pointless to have a bov? man, I just love the sound.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Get a $1,000 civic and add an ebay turbo kit with a bov. You will get that ricer pshhhhhhh bov noise!!

BlackSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
I have an intake system on the car. Honestly, when I let off the gas, it kind of sounds like a BOV. It's a pretty loud whoosh.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
im probably going to regret wading into this, but.....

The wastegate plays a key role in the boost bypass logic of the b58. If the tuner doesnt get the wg open and the valvetronic load delay protocol correct as they increase wg duty, they can easily pressure spike the turbo on downshift. This is why the N55 motor went to a electronically controlled wg in the first place, and factory information manuals from BMW and Bosch tell tuners to do exactly this and for this reason.

it is more important without a bov to make sure the wg gets opened to get the energy off of the turbine and stop applying force to the compressor.

There is a thread currently going on about this exact issue. Cylinder deactivation does part of it, but stupid burble tunes can make that problematic, and you still have to pull the tq off the turbine wheel And overlap the cams and give load delay to the throttle plate. By sequentially deactivating cyl’s, yes -that can cut gasses to the turbo, but the motor still has to do something with the pressure in system on throttle lift, and in this case digesting it through valve overlap is another key part of the strategy.

Jmho, but given that tuners who have no experience tuning valvetronic have piled onto the supra like a gang bang in a Brazzer’s video, people need to pick their tuner carefully and probably just add an electric solenoid valve to prevent more blown turbos.

something like this works well, but there are others.

https://bigboostturbo.com/products/n55-s55-b58-blow-off-valve-kit

Last edited:

turbopk

First Name
Pk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 ford edge(DD)
I have heard a few MKV's blow off loud enough to hear. I assume its from an upgraded charge pipe, full air intake from air box/filter to turbo.
Now it wasn't LOUD like an Neon SRT4 lol but loud enough to hear and appease me lol
Sponsored