How do I get 2021 Supra out of park?

Wackit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Just bought a 2021 Premium and where I park it in the garage I need to get behind it a handful of times during the week. My other cars I would just put it in Neutral and push it about a foot, no problem to get behind the car. (It’s a weekend car so only drive once a week) The purpose of this is not to have condensation build up 3 times a week without driving and burning it off.
No matter what I try the car will not go into neutral unless I start it. It seems like a waste when usually I can just push it a foot and do what I have to do.
Any ideas how to get in Neutral without starting the engine?
Sponsored

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Just bought a 2021 Premium and where I park it in the garage I need to get behind it a handful of times during the week. My other cars I would just put it in Neutral and push it about a foot, no problem to get behind the car. (It’s a weekend car so only drive once a week) The purpose of this is not to have condensation build up 3 times a week without driving and burning it off.
No matter what I try the car will not go into neutral unless I start it. It seems like a waste when usually I can just push it a foot and do what I have to do.
Any ideas how to get in Neutral without starting the engine?
Here you go, good luck getting to the bolt.

-RJM

Where is the ZF 8-Speed Neutral Safety Switch Bypass Located?
The ZF 8HP neutral safety switch bypass can be found on the bottom of the transmission; there's a bolt positioned below a small foot that comes out of the transmission. That little foot is the manual neutral safety switch bypass. Depending on your vehicle, the location of this bolt could be obscured by various belly pans/plastic panels. You will need to remove these to gain access.
As you rotate the bolt to the right, the foot will move upward. As you push the foot up, the transmission will click into neutral, allowing the car to roll freely.

Tools Needed to Put The ZF 8-Speed Transmission in Neutral:

How to Put The ZF 8-Speed in Neutral:

First start by safely lifting the car in the air. We always advise using a quality floor jack and jack stands to support the vehicle. Once it is in the air, you need to gain access to the transmission. Depending on the car in question, this could be behind belly pans or covers.
Once you've gained access to the transmission, locate the hex-head bolt. Use a 5mm hex bit socket on a ratchet to rotate the bolt to the right. Listen for a click as you move the foot up. The click indicates that the transmission is no longer in park, and the car will roll freely.
0&name=01-TechTip-ZF-8HP-Manual_Neutral_Engagement.jpg

0&name=02-TechTip-ZF-8HP-Manual_Neutral_Engagement.jpg

After the transmission clicks into neutral, loosen the bolt until there is a gap between the bolt and foot. The transmission will stay in neutral and will be able to be shifted into park with a charged battery. Leaving the bolt tightened will prevent the car from being shifted into park once it is charged.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is what it looks like on the GR Supra. I’m surprised BMW or Toyota didn’t put an access hole in the belly pan. I will probably drill a hole there and add a grommet for future emergency access.

-RJM

8E49F88A-3B11-4CA9-B6BB-C84820FD6FB4.jpeg

860_ZUPR4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1383, 2015 WRX, 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2018 Civic Type R
time to fab up a little cable actuated plunger to rig in the cabin to easily pop into neutral. wonder if the car will allow you to put it in park on accessory power?

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
time to fab up a little cable actuated plunger to rig in the cabin to easily pop into neutral. wonder if the car will allow you to put it in park on accessory power?
I like your thinking. ?

-RJM

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Time for GoJacks. I have them in my 900+ sq ft garage where I push my cars around when needed.

OP
OP
Wackit

Wackit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0

-RJM

The ZF 8HP neutral safety switch bypass can be found on the bottom of the transmission; there's a bolt positioned below a small foot that comes out of the transmission. That little foot is the manual neutral safety switch bypass. Depending on your vehicle, the location of this bolt could be obscured by various belly pans/plastic panels. You will need to remove these to gain access.
As you rotate the bolt to the right, the foot will move upward. As you push the foot up, the transmission will click into neutral, allowing the car to roll freely.

First start by safely lifting the car in the air. We always advise using a quality floor jack and jack stands to support the vehicle. Once it is in the air, you need to gain access to the transmission. Depending on the car in question, this could be behind belly pans or covers.
Once you've gained access to the transmission, locate the hex-head bolt. Use a 5mm hex bit socket on a ratchet to rotate the bolt to the right. Listen for a click as you move the foot up. The click indicates that the transmission is no longer in park, and the car will roll freely.

After the transmission clicks into neutral, loosen the bolt until there is a gap between the bolt and foot. The transmission will stay in neutral and will be able to be shifted into park with a charged battery. Leaving the bolt tightened will prevent the car from being shifted into park once it is charged.

JOutterbridge

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Genesis Coupe, 94 and 97 Toyota Supra
Odd question but what happens if you're on the side of the road and need a tow and the car won't start. Is this the only option? Seems like it could be dangerous in inclement weather or on tight mountain roads :/

860_ZUPR4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1383, 2015 WRX, 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2018 Civic Type R
Odd question but what happens if you're on the side of the road and need a tow and the car won't start. Is this the only option? Seems like it could be dangerous in inclement weather or on tight mountain roads :/
IIRC the manual said it will allow it to go into neutral in the event of a long cranking-no start conditioon.

Rocket Rabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Supra premium

-RJM

So safe to assume this applies to manual trans too...?

Rocket Rabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Supra premium
Wait what? If you can't put a manual trans in neutral you got way bigger issues going on.
I meant after putting it in neutral. My previous cars all had manual e brakes. So I'm trying to figure out how one can disengage the electronic e brake without turning on the car. I guess what I meant to ask is, how can you push and roll your car if you can't start the car to disengage the electronic e brake 😅
Sponsored