How many miles before your first modification?

HATED1

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
86, 370z, 350z, 240sx
Just curious how long (mileage wise) did you wait before your first modification?

For the sake of clarity, let's define modification as an adjustment to a vehicle that would "technically" void your warranty.

Example given: Coilovers, etc.
Sponsored

J_Orr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra Mk5, Nissan S14, Fiesta ST150, Peugeot 205 STDT
Vehicle Showcase
Tbh, Don't think I'm going to do anything that can't be reversed for a warranty claim... Until after the 5 years at least.

Downpipe, map and filter after 1200 miles for me. All can be reversed.

Webweasel

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GT4 ST205, A90 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Tbh, Don't think I'm going to do anything that can't be reversed for a warranty claim... Until after the 5 years at least.

Downpipe, map and filter after 1200 miles for me. All can be reversed.
Yeah, same here. If I were a rich guy, ofc I'd be customising the crap out of it. But this is a one off purchase for me. I might never mod it, we shall see where I am in life in 5 years time.

J_Orr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra Mk5, Nissan S14, Fiesta ST150, Peugeot 205 STDT
Vehicle Showcase
I'll happily wait until people find the limits of the standard engine :D

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 4Runner / 99ā€™ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
At 3k miles now, just want to find a quality downpipe that wonā€™t cause a cel error. (Seems there has been mixed reviews with the ones that are out now, regarding throwing lights).

Once I get the exhaust the JB4 will be next.

Trojan1992

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS3, GT3, TRD Pro 4Runner and 2020 V60 Polestar T8
My experience with Porsche and Audi on ECU tunes could not be more different and this has lead me to believe Toyota will probably flag any ECU modified car.

The RS3 is so similar to the GR Supra, under reported power and insane ability to develop crazy HP. As many of you know there is already a 8 second RS3 and 9 second cars are very, very common. Just off the shelf APR tunes fetch low 10's. The problem is Audi developed a server that dealers are required to connect to which detects tunes even if removed before service. I think BMW has been doing this as well for years. Once flagged ( TD1) your car is basically on its own for engine related issues. The GR like my RS3 is fast enough for my needs. Interestingly my GT3 was modified for track use and Porsche gave me grief on a lower arm issue I had at Willow Springs and they actually cited track use....

I exploded, are you kidding? Porsche markets this car as a race car, its front eh Motorsport Division and you don't stand behind this with a track discovered issue? They eventually yielded but it made me very wary of all of them.

OP
OP
HATED1

HATED1

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
86, 370z, 350z, 240sx
@anajri DANG. Nice!! I thought I was ballsy at less than 500 miles for HKS Adj. Springs.

larrymz3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Right off the delivery truck straight to get windows tinted. Literally 3 miles on the clock.

At 25 miles I installed a Sprintbooster.

Currently have 50 miles, and have an appointment this week to get my JB4 and downpipe installed.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
Well if I end up getting the Supra this coming spring (pointless now for a Canadian winter) I will be ordering a downpipe and booking a tune around the same day/week as I get the car. I plan to also wrap it and buy some wheels.

Eventually Iā€™ll wait for a bigger turbo or whatever works well with pump 91/94 octane gas.

There is already some offers to rebuild our stock turbos, but I feel $2k USD to fit a bigger impeller into the stock turbo is on the high side?

Thankfully I live right near an excellent licensed tuner that has some pretty big accomplishments under the belt.

When some decent coil overs come out, Iā€™ll get those as well.

Other than that, Iā€™ll probably be happy.

I had budgeted for a higher priced car that didnā€™t work out for me, so thankfully I was saving my pennies.

Real talk:
$400 for a downpipe and another $500-800 for a tune for an easy 100 whp is a steal. Canā€™t say Iā€™ve owned a car where such little money gets such large gains.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
We tuned ours day one with 20 miles on it. turbo upgrade under 1k on it.

I'll happily wait until people find the limits of the standard engine :D
in regards to this. We already know the limits of the engine. I keep forgetting this is new stuff for many of the current vendors/owners. But we've been dealing with the B58 since the BMW debut a while ago. stock engine internals should be left around 600-650tq max. Beyond that rod and pistons should be upgraded. With a smart tune the engine will last for a while at that level.

Dunc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsches, Mercedes, toyotas
Vehicle Showcase
In the UK I've done nearly 2000 miles and I'm still waiting for someone to actually sell something! I'd like a downpipe and a remap for a start.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
In the UK I've done nearly 2000 miles and I'm still waiting for someone to actually sell something! I'd like a downpipe and a remap for a start.
Once we release our downpipe, i was actually talking to someone about doing a bulk buy for the UK people since you guys get raped with duties and ship a bunch at once. I can tune you on MHD right now. Let me know.
Sponsored