How much grip does width alone buy

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Having passed my break-in mileage I’m able to mash the skinny pedal more and have become aware of the propensity of our cars to spin the tires.

My question is, holding all else equal (e.g. tire make and model) how much extra grip would going to 305s make? And would it make much of a difference in quarter mile times (I ask as a metric of performance only). What about 305 rear/265 up front: much difference in the lateral g (metric)?

Apologies for the neophyte question, I’ve never gone with a non-spec tire apart from trucks and jeeps.

your expertise and experience is much appreciated.
Sponsored

Katniss2020

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR, 1961 C10 Apache, 1972 Chrysler New Yorker Wagon
I get this question all the time as a person in the tire industry. Tire width really only helps with lateral grip.. tire height is where better forward traction comes into play. Think dragster tires...tall tires grip and the taller sidewall flex helps it grip..with lower pressure. Your typical drag radial is taller and wider. Going to a 305 or 315 or 325 tire is mainly visual aesthetics and creates clearance issues. Overall traction difference is barely noticeable; especially for the exorbitant cost (new tires and wheels). If you want it to corner, go wide. If you want traction, go tall. Unfortunately you get one or the other, not both.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I get this question all the time as a person in the tire industry. Tire width really only helps with lateral grip.. tire height is where better forward traction comes into play. Think dragster tires...tall tires grip and the taller sidewall flex helps it grip..with lower pressure. Your typical drag radial is taller and wider. Going to a 305 or 315 or 325 tire is mainly visual aesthetics and creates clearance issues. Overall traction difference is barely noticeable; especially for the exorbitant cost (new tires and wheels). If you want it to corner, go wide. If you want traction, go tall. Unfortunately you get one or the other, not both.
Helpful. Many thanks.

jdg54

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
So would it be your feeling that a 275/40/18 on a nice 200TW would hook better than a 295/35 on a 300TW? Generally speaking.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So would it be your feeling that a 275/40/18 on a nice 200TW would hook better than a 295/35 on a 300TW? Generally speaking.
Im wondering what a 285/40/19 would do. Would that fit, make much of a difference, and have any undesirable consequences (too much flex in the sidewall)?

nse

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 Supra, LS2 FD RX7
IMO a better tyre compound would make much more of a difference than 10% more width. I'd take 275 semi slicks over 295 or 305 road tyres every day.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IMO a better tyre compound would make much more of a difference than 10% more width. I'd take 275 semi slicks over 295 or 305 road tyres every day.
Right, but I’m also interested in the contribution of width and height. Keeping a car a daily driver makes slicks and even many street legal tires not an option.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Hmmmm...and I was considering getting new wheels for the purpose of running 305's in the back because even at stock power levels Supra slides around. Maybe I rethink my strategy. I would keep the 35 profile no matter what and not go skinny like 30's, but 40's may look strange

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmmmm...and I was considering getting new wheels for the purpose of running 305's in the back because even at stock power levels Supra slides around. Maybe I rethink my strategy. I would keep the 35 profile no matter what and not go skinny like 30's, but 40's may look strange
It could look odd, but maybe good odd. I just don’t know.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
It could look odd, but maybe good odd. I just don’t know.
I have a 295/35 and the tire looks way to bubbly(for my taste)...
I should have went with a 30 series tire...
I think a 40 series would make the tire look like a drag radial...

With the 295 rear it car still spins but not as bad as the factory 275...
At stock power on a 21...

Steve