First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
:thumbsup:

Adding foam between rear panel and metal enclosure, lining enclosure walls with wadding, applying RTV between sub grill assembly, and adding exhaust ports to the rear panel will get you 95% there....The rest of the improvements I outline are about reducing road noise and some minor vibrations...

If I were to simplify this further, the primary root cause of the subwoofer bass vibration and distortion issues simply comes down to having a rear panel placed directly in front of the 3 elongated subwoofer enclosure exhaust ports...I'm kinda surprised Toyota didn't correct this in the 2021 Supra given all the complaints regarding the Subs....

Ale81

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350
I completed Tom's (tadda) recommendations to my sound system. What a good improvement to the sound. Thanks Tom for doing all the legwork and engineering to develop this countermeasure. Like others, I was initially disappointed in the sound quality and volume. I came from a factory Mark Levinson, 17 speaker, 800+ watt sound system in my RC350 which sounded great.
With the improvements outlined by tadda, the Supra, though not quite the same as the ML system it is much, much improved. With the extra bass provided by the subwoofer modification the sound is much "fuller" than before. I tweaked the eq settings to my own ears.
I may replace some speakers in the future but for now the system is so much better than it was. For those hesitant to cut a couple of holes in their plastic cover, it's a very easy modification. The foam goes in easily also.
Thanks again Tadda!

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
I completed Tom's (tadda) recommendations to my sound system. What a good improvement to the sound. Thanks Tom for doing all the legwork and engineering to develop this countermeasure. Like others, I was initially disappointed in the sound quality and volume. I came from a factory Mark Levinson, 17 speaker, 800+ watt sound system in my RC350 which sounded great.
With the improvements outlined by tadda, the Supra, though not quite the same as the ML system it is much, much improved. With the extra bass provided by the subwoofer modification the sound is much "fuller" than before. I tweaked the eq settings to my own ears.
I may replace some speakers in the future but for now the system is so much better than it was. For those hesitant to cut a couple of holes in their plastic cover, it's a very easy modification. The foam goes in easily also.
Thanks again Tadda!
Do you mind sharing your Sound settings?

paikman

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
R33 GTR
A member in our Supra Facebook Group just posted this video below outlining the steps done in this thread...

***Edit: Applying RTV to the sub grill cover in this video was done incorrectly...RTV should be applied between the 12 spoke cover and flat grill plate....Read my original post to read how this is done correctly***

After watching the video, and reading your first post - I see clearly when the foam, the speaker grilles, and the exhaust ports are used. Im confused as to how the wadding is installed ? Your first picture after "Enclosure Lining / Wadding Template:" in OP looks the same as in the video during the foam section. Sorry if its clearer in person, just trying to understand before ordering and the car comes in. Thanks for all the info!

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After watching the video, and reading your first post - I see clearly when the foam, the speaker grilles, and the exhaust ports are used. Im confused as to how the wadding is installed ? Your first picture after "Enclosure Lining / Wadding Template:" in OP looks the same as in the video during the foam section. Sorry if its clearer in person, just trying to understand before ordering and the car comes in. Thanks for all the info!
Once you get your Supra and remove rear narrow panel it will become clearer to you...

Here is how I explained it in my first post...

"Enclosure Lining / Wadding Template: I was actually able to roll up the speaker batting (wadding) cut from a template (shown below) and slip it through one of the elongated exhaust ports and then use a long screw driver to manipulate the cut batting to line the walls of the metal enclosure shown below:"

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
I had a tough time getting the rolled up wadding to fully open to sit up against all the walls. With the limited access I had I did the best I could. It seems that the wadding somewhat bunched together in the ends of the chambers, I couldn't get it to fully open back up from the roll I made and line the walls. The entry exhaust and exit exhaust are not blocked though and I may hear/feel a good response to the wadding.

@tadda do you feel I may be causing some negative effects with this?

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a tough time getting the rolled up wadding to fully open to sit up against all the walls. With the limited access I had I did the best I could. It seems that the wadding somewhat bunched together in the ends of the chambers, I couldn't get it to fully open back up from the roll I made and line the walls. The entry exhaust and exit exhaust are not blocked though and I may hear/feel a good response to the wadding.

@tadda do you feel I may be causing some negative effects with this?
As long as the exhaust ports are clear and not obstructed I think your good here...

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
Just taking that lower back panel off I couldn't believe the difference this morning. I played some old deadmau5 and Nero with heavy kicks and bass and there was no distortion or rattling and the bass was liek 2x louder. Time to make ports for that panel!

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just taking that lower back panel off I couldn't believe the difference this morning. I played some old deadmau5 and Nero with heavy kicks and bass and there was no distortion or rattling and the bass was liek 2x louder. Time to make ports for that panel!
This is what I enjoy listening to (great highway cruising music) which really gives the audio system quite a workout...Prior to this upgrade I couldn't even listen to this type of music past 1/4 volume without vibrations and distortions...Now I can listen to these tracks while turned up 2/3 volume and the bass response is awesome with nearly no distortional vibrations...Best to download the mp3 version though for better quality listening...

Ethereal Techno 007

Meanie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Just did this mod and can't thank Tadda enough. Base is tighter and can actually crank up the volume now. Even my wife was able to tell the difference right away.

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Camaro - 427ci LSX turbo'd, 2016 RAM 2500, 2021 GR Supra 3.0 Prem
Also just bitching to myself about the subs this weekend - that's possibly one of the best write-ups of how to correct a problem. NOW - getting my wife to understand what I'm about to do to her brand new car, that's the other problem. :dunno:

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
@tadda. I trying to remove all the trunk pieces to do the dynamite. I am currently stuck on the top side panels that normally hold the cover.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@tadda. I trying to remove all the trunk pieces to do the dynamite. I am currently stuck on the top side panels that normally hold the cover.
I'm not sure what pieces your trying to remove to apply Dynamat...I only did the rear floor under the cargo cover which only required removing the floor cover....

Cargo area dynamat.jpg
Sponsored