How wide of tires can I run?

JR Supra

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 toyota GR supra 3.0 premium
Stock suspension, 15mm Spacer in the rear, I have on 285/35/19. I want more width. how wide can I comfortably go without rubbing?
Sponsored

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
You can run a 305 on the stock wheel. Tiny bit of sidewall roll but totally doable. Here is mine with 305’s on the back and 275’s on the front with 19x8.5 front and 19x10 rear ADV1 5.0 wheels 25 off set rear should be about the same as stockers with 15mm spacer In the rear. Pics for reference…

811A5330-1EC3-4545-A186-25F65DE979D5.jpeg

58CE8473-93DC-4F35-A154-BEEACE3F92EB.jpeg

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Real question here, I'm not being facetious. Other than wanting to spend more money on tires, why would you want to go so wide?

Supra_Cop

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
The wider the tire means the more contact the tire makes with the road surface. More contact with the road surface means better traction results. Wider tire = better traction.

There’s a lot more to gaining better traction than just throwing on a wider tire to get better traction, but essentially you should see an improvement with a wider tire.

OP
OP
JR Supra

JR Supra

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 toyota GR supra 3.0 premium
Real question here, I'm not being facetious. Other than wanting to spend more money on tires, why would you want to go so wide?
I launch in second gear and spin until third gear, when I put 285 tires on it felt way better and a lot faster, so I want to see what the widest I can go is.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
I launch in second gear and spin until third gear, when I put 285 tires on it felt way better and a lot faster, so I want to see what the widest I can go is.
Honestly the compound of the tire is more import than an extra 10-20MM of contact patch. A tire like a Nitto NT555Rii or a Mickey Thompson E/T street in the back will hook a lot better than say a Michelin PS4 or conti extreme contact. There’s pros and cons to each specific tire tho

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
It's because the sidewall doesn't flex, not because of the width. Do yourself some learning about contact patches. Wider tires will wear slightly less, but require the same amount of force to spin.

You need more sidewall, not more width, and a better compound.

MT E Street R/SS, or NT555Riis. Nothing else matters.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Do the OEM rear wheels fit on the front without spacers?

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Most tire vendors will have a recommended wheel width. Some vendors for 305’s recommend 10” to 12” wide wheel, others might say 10.5“ to 12” wheel. That little .5” isn’t much a 10” wheel is a 10” wheel and 305’s fit just fine with no issues. Lays down a nice flat print. I’ve been doing this on cars for over 25 years. We used to have to fit 305’s on 9” rims way back in the day because 10” wide wheels back in the 90’s and early oughts was hard to come by. I ran 305 nittos on my 04 Cobra’s 9” stock rims, Now that I would probably say don’t do LOL But it held up to 2 years and 40,000 miles of street racing and track work with no issues. 10” min wide rim on a 305 is good.

As for sidewall height. That you also have to be careful with the taller the sidewall means a taller tire and that changes your effective final gear ratio.

for example the Supra tires are 26.5” tall at 275/35. Let’s Say you go to a 305/35 that is about 27.5” tall So you now Have Gone from a final drive of 3.15 (Supra stock) to 3.03 potentially slowing the car down, if you went with a 28.5” tall tire would be taking it down to a 2.92 final drive. Great for top speed, sux in a sprint.

now lets say you went with a 1” shorter tire at 25.5”, less sidewall flex sure, but you also just went from a final drive of 3.15 to 3.27 which is a better sprint off the line and quicker run up (which is good for turbo’s) vs a lower final drive of maybe 2.96 which Will make the car feel a little more sluggish and probably slow the 0-60 sprint down.

the best way to keep the final drive around stock or a bit better is to try to stick around a 26”-26.5” tall tire. Which means as you go up in diameter rim you have to go lower in sidewall, as you go down (maybe 18’s) you have to go up in sidewall to maintain the near same tire diameter.

Http://www.1010tires.com has some awesome calculators for tire sizes with comparisons and good offset calcs too. Great site.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Most tire vendors will have a recommended wheel width. Some vendors for 305’s recommend 10” to 12” wide wheel, others might say 10.5“ to 12” wheel. That little .5” isn’t much a 10” wheel is a 10” wheel and 305’s fit just fine with no issues. Lays down a nice flat print. I’ve been doing this on cars for over 25 years. We used to have to fit 305’s on 9” rims way back in the day because 10” wide wheels back in the 90’s and early oughts was hard to come by. I ran 305 nittos on my 04 Cobra’s 9” stock rims, Now that I would probably say don’t do LOL But it held up to 2 years and 40,000 miles of street racing and track work with no issues. 10” min wide rim on a 305 is good.

As for sidewall height. That you also have to be careful with the taller the sidewall means a taller tire and that changes your effective final gear ratio.

for example the Supra tires are 26.5” tall at 275/35. Let’s Say you go to a 305/35 that is about 27.5” tall So you now Have Gone from a final drive of 3.15 (Supra stock) to 3.03 potentially slowing the car down, if you went with a 28.5” tall tire would be taking it down to a 2.92 final drive. Great for top speed, sux in a sprint.

now lets say you went with a 1” shorter tire at 25.5”, less sidewall flex sure, but you also just went from a final drive of 3.15 to 3.27 which is a better sprint off the line and quicker run up (which is good for turbo’s) vs a lower final drive of maybe 2.96 which Will make the car feel a little more sluggish and probably slow the 0-60 sprint down.

the best way to keep the final drive around stock or a bit better is to try to stick around a 26”-26.5” tall tire. Which means as you go up in diameter rim you have to go lower in sidewall, as you go down (maybe 18’s) you have to go up in sidewall to maintain the near same tire diameter.

Http://www.1010tires.com has some awesome calculators for tire sizes with comparisons and good offset calcs too. Great site.
yes

Sabres315

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra, 2021 STI
Maybe A stupid question. But is there any benefits beside weight reduction, to going to a small wheel then the stocked 19s it run on these cars?

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Usually If your just out for drag racing it does allow you to run a taller sidewall tire and keep the same or near stock tire diameter and that tire would ideally have a softer sidewall so the tire will compress a little more and hopefully dig in for more traction.

As for weight savings, maybe a little bit, chances are you’re putting a fat heavy meaty tire on so any weight savings, just a bit of a guess would probably be negligible.

If you’re autocross’ing or tracking some might try to put a bit lighter wheel on for better performance. Size smaller is easy way to remove some rotational mass. I’m very impressed by the stock weight on the stock wheel. usually stock wheels are stupid heavy but at 24/25lbs respectively that is pretty good for 19’S in this size. My Miata wheels in 17x9 where 16lbs each but that is for a much lighter car but you get the idea. So 9lbs for a much much larger wheel is really good.

I’m a stickler for not adding additional weight if I can help it. Made that mistake on my slingshot putting a monster set of Avanti 22’s on it. My god did that hose performance, stopping, handling ugh It was bad. Never again.

My ADV1’s are pretty close to stock just a tick heavier but they are really good wheels.
Sponsored