How will the 86 and Supra MKV affect each other?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by FXuser, Feb 3, 2015.

1. FXuser

FXuser Member

Car(s):
    M3
    Liked:
    What I'm really asking is, will slumping 86 sales or even if Toyota killed off the 86 altogether, hurt or help the Supra?

Help it since there will only be one sports car in the lineup? Hurt it because people will question Toyota's ability to offer a viable sports car that can compete in this market?

Also a flip side question... will the introduction of the MKV hurt or help 86 sales?

On one hand, I think an exciting halo car can only help bring more people into the dealerships and help sales of all their models, especially sports cars. On the other hand, the MKV may rob whatever interest is left for the 86?

2. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    Two different markets. V6 Camry has about as much in common.

86 doesn't even have a Toyota badge in the USA.

As far as the Supra helping out 86, I don't know... did the GT-R help Nissan sell Z's? It would be a similar effect, but to a lesser extent.

3. Supra93

Supra93 Moderator
    Staff Member

Car(s):
    Supra, RX7, and E500
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I don't see why this is such a big deal. Other niche products have declining sales over the years as well. Example below.

Mazda MX-5 Miata
    2006:
    2007: 15,075
    2008: 10,977
    2009: 7,917
    2010: 6,370
    2011: 5,674
    2012: 6,305
    2013: 5,780
    2014: 4,745

Nissan Z
    2006:
    2007: 18,957
    2008: 10,337
    2009: 13,117
    2010: 10,215
    2011: 7,328
    2012: 7,338
    2013: 6,561
    2014: 7,199

Honda CR-Z
    2010:
    2011: 11,330
    2012: 4,192
    2013: 4,550
    2014: 3,562

BMW Z4
    2006:
    2007: 10,097
    2008: 5,879
    2009: 3,523
    2010: 3,804
    2011: 3,479
    2012: 2,751
    2013: 2,480
    2014: 2,151

4. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    Yep!!

All these dumb articles are talking about how 86 sales have "tanked" and how it's on its way out. It's not a Corolla.

vb22, Supra93 and kamran like this.
  5. OP
    FXuser

FXuser Member

Car(s):
    M3
    Liked:
    Declining sales is one thing but the reason I asked is more how Toyota has kind of let the 86 go stale with no indication that they are going to be updating it with new models, new engines, redesign etc. I would hope they don't approach the Supra MKV the same way although I understand they are different segments/class of vehicle. I would just hate to buy a car that gets little support from the mfgr which also tends to mean less aftermarket interest. All of this takes away from owning the car.

6. FRS-Man

FRS-Man Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Hot Lava FR-S
    Liked:
    Toyota seems to be totally confused on what direction they want to take with the Scion brand so maybe their inaction with the FR-S is a result of that. One second they want it to be a youth oriented experimental brand, then there's rumors they want to make it a more into-level premium brand... so who knows...

All I know is that rebadging a Toyota Auris and calling it the "exciting" new Scion iM is accomplishing neither of those goals.

7. AZ Wildcat

AZ Wildcat Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Hoping for new Supra
    Liked:
    I definitely see the 86 as more experimental and in that sense it was a success. It carved out a special niche in a crowded market that hasn't existed for quite some time.

The Supra will be different - it will be positioned in a well established segment filled lots of direct competitors that it will be compared and shopped against. Also giving it the Supra name will mean something. New brands can come and be let go easily but reviving such a legendary badge should mean Toyota has more skin in the game to keep the name alive and successful.

8. Big George

Big George Active Member

Car(s):
    Mazda 3, X5 V8
    Liked:
    Making a popular and successful Supra successor can only help the 86 and the entire Toyota/Scion brand. Too long has Toyota been left off out of the discussion when it comes to the mags performance cars of the year and all kinds of bench racing etc. That stuff might not always matter, but it does get people excited and talking.

9. gymratter

gymratter Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Silver Spur & F-150
    Liked:
    maybe a new Supra will get people into the showrooms, but than leave in a FRS.

on a different note, the R35 and 370z are both hideous cars IMO.

10. __WRC__

__WRC__ Active Member

Car(s):
    325i
    Liked:
    I can't imagine anyone going into a showroom for a Supra and leaving with an FRS except maybe for their wife or grown kids. They are so totally different.

That's like going to Best Buy shopping for a 52" LED and leaving with a 27" projection TV. Who does that?

11. NeroZ

NeroZ Active Member

Car(s):
    FR-S Release Series 1
    Liked:
    That's the theory for these halo cars. They're supposed to get people who can't afford them to think about the brand's other models. Or get them into the showroom to check it out at least and possibly get interested in actually buying another model. And did you just compare my car to a 27" projection TV?! :bat: :D

Supra93, Supraman and gymratter like this.
  12. gymratter

gymratter Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Silver Spur & F-150
    Liked:
    its called marketing. people come in to look at the GT-R, but than leave with a more affordable 370z.

this guy gets it ;)

13. __WRC__

__WRC__ Active Member

Car(s):
    325i
    Liked:
    I guess so, I am just saying there are not many cross shoppers between the cars. Also I wonder how many average buyers are aware that Scion is owned by Toyota. Sure, the dealerships are integrated but in terms of brand awareness not sure it is as strong there.

14. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    Exactly. Nobody does that.

Sure there might be people who go to Nissan to buy a 370Z, and happen to look at the GT-R while that happens to be at the dealer. But they don't go to see the GT-R and suddenly find themselves filling out the paperwork. In my past life as a car salesman there would occasionally be a person who walked on the lot looking to buy "a car" but these people were few and far between. Most buyers show up and know what they want. An enthusiast who knows what a GT-R is knows exactly what he wants. The kind of empty headed buyer who shows up to ogle a GT-R and "discovers" the 370Z or "settles" with a 370Z does not exist.

It's about brand image, buyer perception and awareness. It's conscious and subconscious. When people see a really impressive car on the road with a Toyota badge on it, it elevates the brand in their mind, enhancing their impression and increasing the likelihood that they'll consider the brand when they buy a car in the future. Or the gearhead sees a Supra on the cover of every magazine and featured on Top Gear and generates an enthusiasm for the brand. Or they see that their buddy just spent $65,000 on a new Toyota, and feel like the brand must be worth it. There is a value behind the brand/marque/badge/label and it is formed in the mind of the public who perceives the products. That value does not come out of thin air.

Supraman likes this.
  15. Supraman

Supraman Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    S2000 / Xterra Pro-4X
    Liked:
    ^ well said. It's about planting a seed with a car like this. What ever develops out of the seed depends on the person but that's what Halo cars can do is help expand the brand in many different ways.