If not the New Supra, then what?

What other car are you looking forward to?

• Mazda R7/8 successor

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • Nissan Z successor

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Honda S2000 successor

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • R36 GT-R

Votes: 25 24.0%

• Total voters

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
Well, I just purchased a BMW M2. Best car out there right now for $50k in my opinion. Dealers are starting to make deals on the 2018s before they switch to the S55 M2 Competitions for 2019. There are some used ones going for low 40s now too.

6mt of course.

I will still be on the lookout for the new Supra and might still buy one if some of the rumored specs are true!

699A8A4F-11CA-43F1-BC4D-B3E67F986D2D.jpeg
^ FYI... and for Toyota in case they are reading this, the main reason I'm not holding out for the Supra even though I've owned mostly Toyota/Lexus cars is the lack of a manual and the lack of a back seat. I'd be happy with a back seat the size of the 86/FRS/BRZ, but having a young child I need some sort of back seat. The M2 is the best car for the money that comes with both a back seat and a manual transmission. If Toyota/Lexus made a similar car, I would have purchased the Toyota.

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris
The new GT-R will probably be stunning but I have my reservations about it. The current one is good too. It's iconic and has a legendary heritage but I just don't like the way Nissan handles it. Bad service, short maintenance intervals, extremely pricey OEM parts/fluids, constant price hikes, looking for any reason to void your warranty even with the help of a blackbox that records everything the car is doing and so on and on and on.

For the money that a GT-R costs nowadays you can also get a Lexus LC500. Sure it doesn't have the same kind of performance but the sound and looks are phenomenal and the build quality is so high that you can be sure that you will never even need a warranty in the first place and can drive it for years with zero problems.

You can say and think about Toyota what you want but they know how to build cars. They didn't become the richest and one of the biggest car companies in the world for nothing.

That's why I personally look forward the new Supra and do like what I have seen so far.

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
So, interestingly enough, the R35 GTR has one of thr highest turn over rates of any car produced.

In Japan, within 1-2 years a majority of them were on their 2nd and sometimes even third owner.

I personally had three friends that owned then no longer than 2 years each. It was generally maintenance costs and not enjoying the disconnected driving experience.

Amazing car and I like them, but I probably wouldn't ever own one for the same reasons above.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
So, interestingly enough, the R35 GTR has one of thr highest turn over rates of any car produced.

In Japan, within 1-2 years a majority of them were on their 2nd and sometimes even third owner.

I personally had three friends that owned then no longer than 2 years each. It was generally maintenance costs and not enjoying the disconnected driving experience.

Amazing car and I like them, but I probably wouldn't ever own one for the same reasons above.
Every one of my friends that owned one sold them within a year or two.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, now that you guys mention it, every single person I personally know that owned one sold it in a year or two as well. Wow, I never put two and two together. I guess people really don't do their research on maintenance before buying a car.

One of those same friends just bought a first gen R8. How many oil changes do you guys think it'll last before it's sold? I'm guessing it'll be soon after oil change 1...

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Damn, now that you guys mention it, every single person I personally know that owned one sold it in a year or two as well. Wow, I never put two and two together. I guess people really don't do their research on maintenance before buying a car.

One of those same friends just bought a first gen R8. How many oil changes do you guys think it'll last before it's sold? I'm guessing it'll be soon after oil change 1...
2 and then when he sees that oil light notification
:bs:

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase

Given the new Supra is auto only.. not sure if it’ll suffer the same fate as the GTR

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete

It's a great question lol, but I think it's a few factors that make the R35 the one people sell...

It's still a Nissan (matters to many despite not to me), very expensive to maintain, feels fairly slow in stock form, and lastly doesn't really feel exciting or exemplary when driving.

One guy bought an 86 and GT350 to replace his, another bought an R8 (lol), and the other one bought another mkiv and a RCF as a daily.

My friends wife just bought a used/certified Spec V though, so it should be interesting to see what she does..

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Given the new Supra is auto only.. not sure if it’ll suffer the same fate as the GTR
Torque Converter auto vs DCT though, so unless something breaks I don't think we'll be touching it. Although this now raises the question, does this car have a trans cooler stock? I'm not sure if ZF specs one in performance applications...

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Isn't Vipra here with us? :p

We've got an R35 as a work car, but it hardly gets driven, and will have the transmission replaced soon anyway. Interesting bit of kit to pull apart and play with.

I've got a W204 C63 too, and maintenance is meant to be expensive - but I just download all the manuals and do it myself. Thankfully, have only been servicing it thus far. Worked fairly heavily on a friend's E65 745i - the engine needs to come out to do anything.

Thankfully, the whole front end unbolts in about 2 hours and the engine slides forward. Quick release fuel lines, heaps of other awesome design ideas. It's actually a joy to work on.

I hope the A90 is as straightforward (not necessarily fast) to work on....

Galerion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Yaris

Honestly I can understand it a bit. Nobody needs a car like a GT-R. Cars like that are simply dream cars that you want to have. Heck I would have one too if I would be made out of money but Im not. A GT-R is a bargain in the sense that it provides a performance that you can get from cars that are double or triple the price. Objectively it isn't cheap though. 100K new or 60-70K for good used ones certainly isn't cheap unless you have unlimited money and most people don't have that. So you need to sell your old car(s), spent your savings or need to take a credit or all of these things together just to get it. And with a dream car its like with a new love. You are just happy and everything is fine and perfect but as time goes on that feeling goes away and you are back in the realm of reality with a bunch of bills on your table and you have no idea how the pay them since you already spent all your money. The logical and often only solution? The break up.

It's like you said. People don't do their research often enough and I think that topic is not talked about in general often enough. People always focus on the buying price of a car itself when the costs that come after buying a car are the ones that truly make or break a car. It's why I personally only buy Japanese cars. Granted Im a fan of Japan in general but it's true that they generally build the most reliable cars. But as we all know even between them there can be quite big differences. I mean if a Mazda Wankel engine rips a big hole in your wallet you have only yourself and your lack of research to blame.
Sponsored