Im getting the Armytrix Catless Downpipe will I get CEL?

JR Supra

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 toyota GR supra 3.0 premium
I have a 2021 supra-locked ECU. I want some more bang pops, but I don't want CEL. I know @Mimosa Used this one and didn't get a CEl. Do you guys have any experience with this Down Pipe?
Sponsored

JSmoothBui

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I switched to armytrix catless that has the o2 simulator, no CEL for me

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
the downpipe will throw a check engine light, if you are using an O2 simulator it might trick the ECU. It's more about the simulator than it is about the downpipe brand as you can do the same with any brand.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
the downpipe will throw a check engine light, if you are using an O2 simulator it might trick the ECU. It's more about the simulator than it is about the downpipe brand as you can do the same with any brand.
I have the aa catted downpipe now, if I went catless would it add any noticeable hp?

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I have the aa catted downpipe now, if I went catless would it add any noticeable hp?
No. You will actually have power loss without any sort of tune.

I have the Armytrix DP w/ Sim. No CEL after 2700+ miles. It hasn't failed me yet. But the powerband on the car is a little funny now since there is no back pressure.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
No power difference between a high flow catted downpipes and catless under these conditions
1- the cats are high quality and not restrictive
2- stock turbo

If you upgrade the turbo, the catless will make 20-30 more whp

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
No. You will actually have power loss without any sort of tune.

I have the Armytrix DP w/ Sim. No CEL after 2700+ miles. It hasn't failed me yet. But the powerband on the car is a little funny now since there is no back pressure.
Never heard anyone state before there would be a loss of power. Any data to support this?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Never heard anyone state before there would be a loss of power. Any data to support this?
In theory, the loss of backpressure from a free-flowing cat could result in a loss of power on some cars, though I'm not exactly sure that's been proven on the B58. I'd expect the ECU to compensate the electronic WG to maintain targets.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
In theory, the loss of backpressure from a free-flowing cat could result in a loss of power on some cars, though I'm not exactly sure that's been proven on the B58. I'd expect the ECU to compensate the electronic WG to maintain targets.
Yeah, basically what I was thinking. Like adding a higher-flowing exhaust on a NA car and losing bottom end power due to a loss of backpressure (i.e., increasing max power and shifting the power curve up in the rev range). Would be interesting to see a before/after dyno, which I know is unlikely we'll ever have for this specific type of setup.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I just know what's happening with my car. I'll try to have it dynoed before I slap on the new turbo and get it tuned. The powerband feels like its wavy. Maybe not a loss in power, but something is definitely going on. I don't know how to explain it properly because I'm not a car guy.

Last edited:

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I just know what's happening with my car. I'll try to have it dynoed before I slap on the new turbo and get it tuned. The powerband feels like its wavy. Maybe not a loss in power, but something is definitely going on. I don't know how to explain it because I'm not a car guy.
This is good to know and I'm interested in what you find out!

SupraTimo

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR
Hi all, sorry to revive this thread.
So Iā€™m about to buy a armytrix catless DP.
My question is, thereā€™s two options,
One that says opf model and one that doesnā€™t, do anyone have an idea whatā€™s the difference?
Iā€™m looking but canā€™t find a straight answer!
Best regards

suprawr

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Type R

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Yeah, basically what I was thinking. Like adding a higher-flowing exhaust on a NA car and losing bottom end power due to a loss of backpressure (i.e., increasing max power and shifting the power curve up in the rev range). Would be interesting to see a before/after dyno, which I know is unlikely we'll ever have for this specific type of setup.
It's not "backpressure" that costs an N/A car performance. Backpressure isn't a real phenomenon. What happens is that the exhaust diameter becomes too wide and the exhaust velocity is no longer sufficient to scavenge pulses from the headers, which means the overall exhaust velocity decreases and the VE of the engine goes down. Power is lost. Exhaust scavenging is what must be monitored on an NA car.

This doesn't happen in turbo cars, because the VE >1.0.
Sponsored