I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra- Here's Why & Talk about your excitement level

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by vb22, Jun 8, 2017.

?

What should the new Supra be?

1. A 100k+ GT-R and NSX competitor

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. A $50k-$60k Corvette and Cayman competitor

70 vote(s)
    61.9%
  3. A bit of both. Entry level TT-V6 for C7 & a TT-V6 hybrid model that will go NSX & GT-R hunting!

14 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. I just hope it isn't a 300hp 40k Z competitor

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  1. vb22

vb22 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    SC300
    Liked:
    #1 Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nzq4y7e/

Agree or disagree, what are your thought?

2. SupraGuy19

SupraGuy19 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    CRV Turbo
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    some valid points, I agree and disagree at the same time

3. gymratter

gymratter Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Silver Spur & F-150
    Liked:
    i totally disagree with him when it comes to size. this meme sums it up for me.

MTv8pRK.png

4. pikappa

pikappa New Member

Car(s):
    Toyota MR2 AW11 '88, Toyota MR2 SW20 '95, Subaru Impreza Sti '07, Subaru WRX STI '15, Alfa Romeo 4C '16
    Liked:
    Totally disagree.
    The old Supra was in the same segment of Nissan 300zx or Mitsubishi GTO, not in the segment of NSX.
    And today it's the same...
    I love the new GTR and NSX, but they are too expensive, too heavy, too big and too powerful.
    I'd like to see the new supra fighting against Cayman and TTRS for example and not against R8, NSX, GTR...

5. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    Not sure what he's on about with the size thing. But the rest is pretty spot-on. FT1 was exotic sportscar but all the rumors suggest we're just getting boy racer.

Supra
    is to mean "above" and should be a halo sportscar, not some sporty Z car competitor. At the time, the Supra performed alongside the Porsche 911 and the Ferrari 348 and 355, not to mention the NSX. The FT1 was an exciting, true high-end sportscar concept. All of the interviews talked about "big power" and emulating sportscars like the 911. But all of the rumors coming out over the past couple years suggest that it's going to fall completely short.

If they roll out some 400 horsepower car, really who cares at that point. Like the blogger said, the enthusiasts didn't like the NA Supra. It was a big disappointment. But the car looked cool so it sold well. MkV might be a low-end sportscar but it won't really be a successor to the MKIV Supra that everyone was so excited about after seeing FT1.

vb22 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    vb22

vb22 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    SC300
    Liked:
    Care to elaborate?

It can be larger without being fat and ugly. The concept was a good example of that.

The old Supra may have been a 300ZX competitor, but it was so good it that people compared it to the GT-R.

If its only packing that much it better be >3,000lbs.

7. Supraman

Supraman Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    s2000 / Xterra Pro-4X
    Liked:
    The car will sell by having the 'Supra' badge on it alone. But will the car live to what's expected out of a Supra badged sports car? That is what we're all waiting to see. If it doesn't and/or using a BMW sourced engine, I agree with them badging this something else and letting the MKIV live as the last true Supra! As much as I'd love to see this rock that Supra badge especially if it looks like the FT-1, I just feel like it would be the right thing to do.

It's on Toyota now to show what this car will be: A marketing sporty car with a legendary name or giving enthusiast the true return of the Toyota Supra. Just waiting for that Tokyo Auto Show :popcorn:

8. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    Just 135 more days... I hope!

2JZ-No-Sh*t, gymratter and vb22 like this.
  9. gymratter

gymratter Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Silver Spur & F-150
    Liked:
    #9 Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    base on the rumored production numbers and trim level i think this car won't be exclusive like the MK4. i have a feeling that its going to be a A to Z car. we have a base 4 banger turbo model that will compete with cars like the Cayman. than a 6 cylinder turbo model that will most likely have it sight on the base C7. and lastly the hybrid model could give the NSX a run for its money.

when it comes to the concept the hood is definitely shorter on the prototype. but overall i dont think its that much shorter than the concept. i really think the camo and shorter wheelbase is playing tricks on people's eyes and making people think its tiny like a Z.

10. SupraGuy19

SupraGuy19 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    CRV Turbo
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I feel that if the Supra was to go after the GTR and NSX, the price would go thru the roof. By not targeting those cars, this would make the Supra more affordable for the common man. Nevertheless anything less than 400 HP would be a HUGE disappointment. With economy based sport compacts in the 300 HP range, the Supra should not be in that power bracket. It needs a minimum of 400.

11. 2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    My feet
    Liked:
    The issue with going after the GT-R and NSX is that those two are totally different animals from their 90's counterpart. I also don't think the MK4 was as 'exclusive' as people make them out to be. Yeah we didn't see them left and right like Camrys and Corollas, but with 45,230 units made globally it didn't exactly made them super rare either. Now the new NSX being limited to 800 units worldwide a year is definitely more exclusive.

12. HKz

HKz Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    FRS
    Liked:
    ...but how many were actually TT?

13. redspencer

redspencer Active Member

Car(s):
    Lexus IS350
    Liked:
    Let's not forget the original reason why Akio Toyoda approved having the Toyota FT-1 built as an actual concept (if we're assuming the Toyota Supra should be based on this concept).

It was because the virtual version of the FT-1 lapped a faster time around Fuji speedway than his personal lap time in a Lexus LFA. The original design/intent of the Toyota FT-1 was to go toe-to-toe with supercars.

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-ft-1-gt6-review

vb22 likes this.
  14. 2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    My feet
    Liked:
    Its hard to find the exact number. Some units for the US were somehow unaccounted for. But based on what we do know from the two largest market for the MK4 I would say roughly 50/50. Either way I still count the NAs as Supras. If not, one could say Corvettes aren't really rare because we're only counting ZR1 numbers.

Total
    Japan- 31,575
    USA- 11,446

NA vs TT
    Japan NA- 17,507
    Japan TT- 14,060

(Missing a few, but this is what we do know)
    USA NA- 6,977
    USA TT- 4,262

15. HKz

HKz Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    FRS
    Liked:
    my point was it is very difficult to compare those cars with each other especially since the GT-R was only 1 particular model of the Skyline lineup and Honda never offered the NSX with multiple powertrains

2JZ-No-Sh*t likes this.