Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
$47 K more ain't almost double...plus, when you're in that tax bracket where you're picking up brand new 6 figure cars, I doubt if getting a "bargain" would cross your mind.
Yeah its listed at $156k on the website, but most of the ones sitting on dealer lots are loaded with options and are being listed for $180k-$200k. No doubt the 1% doesn't give a crap, but I'm speaking for the average Joe's point of view.

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Yeah its listed at $156k on the website, but most of the ones sitting on dealer lots are loaded with options and are being listed for $180k-$200k. No doubt the 1% doesn't give a crap, but I'm speaking for the average Joe's point of view.
average joe gets a corvette

OP
OP
vb22

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Is The 2018 Toyota Supra Worth All The Hype?

The 2018 Toyota Supra has been spotted several times, until recently when it lost a significant amount of cover. Unfortunately, it still doesn't reveal much of its whole character as Toyota still manages to hide its juicy bits.

The eagle-eyed spies, however, never miss out a beat in seeing what could be a groundbreaking information about the 2018 Toyota Supra. The new spied shots actually reveal massive air intakes in the front bumper and provide important details about its taillights detail.

As per the most recent spotting, some extra body panels from the prototype have been removed, which somehow provide the outline of the sports coupe. It does show an aggressive looking coupe, which may well be ready to take on any of its competitions.

Its sharp lines and smaller windows from either side give it a tough looking demeanor that may make industry experts rave about the upcoming coupe. Its interior may also provide that scintillating flavor as the infotainment system with accompanying rotary dial controller is found on the central tunnel. It looks very similar to that of BMW's.

However, as all other cars, this may not be everyone's cup of tea. Some are not hyped up with the upcoming Supra. For one, the previous four-seater Toyota coupe is capable of accelerating from zero to 60 mph in just 4.6-seconds with a top speed of 177 mph. This plays a serious threat to the likes of Porsches and Ferraris.

The 2018 Toyota Supra seems to be down in performance. Its main rivals, the Honda NSX and Nissan GT-R are capable of accelerating at insane speeds with 500nbhp to boot. According to the reports, the 2018 Supra suggest having a six-cylinder turbocharged engine capable of 400-horsepower. Now, this is where the issue starts.

With two of its toughest competitors packed with much power, it is a little disappointing and baffling to know that the 2018 Toyota Supra may only come with less power. It makes it look like its aggressive exterior may not match its underwhelming power altogether. Look, it is powerful, but not enough to compete with other prime coupes. Stay tuned for latest reports on the 2018 Toyota Supra for confirmation.
http://www.autoworldnews.com/articles/39010/20170627/2018-toyota-supra-worth-hype.htm

OP
OP
vb22

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Poll is interesting.

Should be a $50k-$60k Corvette or 911 competitor, like the FT1 concept was supposed to be. For $50-$60k, I'd rather just buy the Cayman than a Toyota Cayman competitor.

Maybe a $60-70k, old-as-the-hills Nissan GTR competitor. Not something that beats the GTR but competes with it, which should be easy to do given GTR is going on a decade old.

Nobody should be competing with the NSX... NSX isn't exactly selling well.
I only used the Cayman in the poll because of this interview from EVO.

http://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/1...otas-three-strong-sports-car-lineup-is-coming

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
you would think but the vette still sells the best despite being twice as expensive...86 sales in the US have been pretty sad compared to the other coupes but in all other markets seems like the twins are faring much better.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What the author of that article from Auto world news fails to note is that the GTR and NSX weigh 3800+ lbs. If they can get the Supra/FT-1 to weigh under 3300 lbs with 400+ HP, that 0-60 time may be closer. HP# wise may not be huge but the final power to weight ratio will determine what this car CAN compete with.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
What the author of that article from Auto world news fails to note is that the GTR and NSX weigh 3800+ lbs. If they can get the Supra/FT-1 to weigh under 3300 lbs with 400+ HP, that 0-60 time may be closer. HP# wise may not be huge but the final power to weight ratio will determine what this car CAN compete with.
0-60 times are more reliant on torque/weight ratio..but the comparison is silly anyways considering the Supra will most likely will be RWD not to mention the totally different price range.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
you would think but the vette still sells the best despite being twice as expensive...86 sales in the US have been pretty sad compared to the other coupes but in all other markets seems like the twins are faring much better.
I thought the US was one of the places with better sales. I recall European sales were pretty bad. Does anyone have links/sources that break sales down globally since it was launched?

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I thought the US was one of the places with better sales. I recall European sales were pretty bad. Does anyone have links/sources that break sales down globally since it was launched?
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/scion/scion-fr-s/
http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/toyota/toyota-gt86/
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/subaru/subaru-brz/
http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/subaru/subaru-brz/

Europe has always been bad partially because of the lack of Subaru dealer networks & not to mention the price of the 86 & BRZ vary widely around Europe...there is no cheap way to ship a niche automobile from Japan to Europe without it hiking the end price.

combined US sales have been better than what some articles have claimed but unfortunately I can't find reliable sources with 86 sales in Oceania & Asia which has some successful markets for the twins.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/scion/scion-fr-s/
http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/toyota/toyota-gt86/
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/subaru/subaru-brz/
http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/subaru/subaru-brz/

Europe has always been bad partially because of the lack of Subaru dealer networks & not to mention the price of the 86 & BRZ vary widely around Europe...there is no cheap way to ship a niche automobile from Japan to Europe without it hiking the end price.

combined US sales have been better than what some articles have claimed but unfortunately I can't find reliable sources with 86 sales in Oceania & Asia which has some successful markets for the twins.
Thanks for the links. Wow I didn't expect European sales to be that low.

While on the topic here is the break down for the MK4.

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

Japan: 31,575
USA: 11,446
Canada: 227
Europe: 1,671
Europe General: 27
Gulf Corp Council: 120
Pre-Production: 62
Unknown: 102

Total: 45,230

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
It is indeed worth the 6 figure price tag...the concerns aren't the fact that the new NSX isn't worth the 6 figures, the complaints are merely folks reminiscing of the 90s...they want high performance vehicles more accessible to the general consumer but people forget that the V6 in the original NSX, while very adequate, was certainly the weakest aspect of the car which allowed Honda to make it more affordable..and the long anticipation probably didn't help either. The interior looks good enough, subjective either way. And sure the chassis is on the heavier end, but it certainly isn't heavier than the R35. Plus, there is no shame in losing to or barely beating an R35. Sure you can complain about how old it is but who cares, what "new" technology would Nissan really want? It was ahead of its time with AWD, TT V6 & a DCT...since its introduction the only big advancement has really been electric/hybrid power.

$47 K more ain't almost double...plus, when you're in that tax bracket where you're picking up brand new 6 figure cars, I doubt if getting a "bargain" would cross your mind.
NSX may be worth six figures, but not its given pricetag, which is evident given how poorly it's been selling, and from the start. As said above, this thing starts at $157,800 but goes all the way over $200,000 with options. For that money you can get a real exotic like McLaren, Porsche Turbo, GT3, even R8. Personally I think the interior of the NSX looks good, but again for the money you can get a much nicer car that doesn't share its interior with a $40k SUV.

And again as said above $157,800 is really a lie since you can't find one on a showroom, and they weren't even orderable at $157,800 until recently. Real price is more like $170,000++. New GTR price, regardless of MSRP, is in the $90s, so yeah the new NSX is essentially double the cost. And you're fooling yourself if you don't think big ticket buyers shop on price or haggle over a few grand.

As far as the GTR, tech wise, yeah the power is good, 4wd is good, it needs a new transmission quite badly and also of course the crash diet people have been begging for since it first arrived. But what it really needs is a big refresh in general, some sort of new look that goes beyond headlights and wheels.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure why people are so hell-bent on the Supra competing with the NSX and GTR. Yes, there was a time when those were the iconic JDM cars of the 90s, but they were all so vastly different in their driving characteristics that they could hardly be compared. The GTR was the technological masterclass, with Atessa providing traction in the most unnatural-yet-satisfying way possible. The NSX was the lightweight, kinfe-edge exotic, with a serious approach to racing that was completely new to Japanese sports cars. And the Supra was the well-balanced brute, with a chassis that was lovely to drive, albeit underdamped and a bit loose, and a motor that had deliciously violent torque even from the factory.

Now though, the NSX is some strange hybrid supercar that seems to appeal to very few people; with very little in the way of Honda's original ethos (designed by Honda USA not Honda JP, so no surprise there). As it seems, nobody has fallen in love with it. They just praise its generally competent performance, look at the 160k pricetag, and then move on. The current GTR is somewhat of an anomaly, having initially been a bargain supercar, but now a slightly more expensive, slightly improved version of the original. It still punches above its weight class (figuratively lol), but it has been losing favor as Nissan continues to stick with the same old car. I still enjoy the GTR, as it does still provide that same unnatural performance of the original R32, but I don't think it is in a good place in the market at 110k.

That leaves the Supra. And to be honest, I'm happy things have shaped up as they have for the NSX and GTR. The Supra is set up perfectly to slot in anywhere from 60-80k and provide it's own flavor of JDM performance, at a price point far more reasonable than a GTR or NSX. It doesn't have to be faster than either car, as that is, to be frank, completely pointless. It just has to do what the GTR did back in 2009 and provide a unique driving experience that sells. Whether it will do that or not, I have no idea, but what I do know is that nobody is going to be cross shopping the Supra and an NSX, and we're all better off for it.

As for the size thing, dumbest thing I've read in a while. Sports cars shouldn't be big, no matter what Mizuno-San says. Simplify and add lightness.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I'm not sure why people are so hell-bent on the Supra competing with the NSX and GTR. Yes, there was a time when those were the iconic JDM cars of the 90s, but they were all so vastly different in their driving characteristics that they could hardly be compared. The GTR was the technological masterclass, with Atessa providing traction in the most unnatural-yet-satisfying way possible. The NSX was the lightweight, kinfe-edge exotic, with a serious approach to racing that was completely new to Japanese sports cars. And the Supra was the well-balanced brute, with a chassis that was lovely to drive, albeit underdamped and a bit loose, and a motor that had deliciously violent torque even from the factory.

Now though, the NSX is some strange hybrid supercar that seems to appeal to very few people; with very little in the way of Honda's original ethos (designed by Honda USA not Honda JP, so no surprise there). As it seems, nobody has fallen in love with it. They just praise its generally competent performance, look at the 160k pricetag, and then move on. The current GTR is somewhat of an anomaly, having initially been a bargain supercar, but now a slightly more expensive, slightly improved version of the original. It still punches above its weight class (figuratively lol), but it has been losing favor as Nissan continues to stick with the same old car. I still enjoy the GTR, as it does still provide that same unnatural performance of the original R32, but I don't think it is in a good place in the market at 110k.

That leaves the Supra. And to be honest, I'm happy things have shaped up as they have for the NSX and GTR. The Supra is set up perfectly to slot in anywhere from 60-80k and provide it's own flavor of JDM performance, at a price point far more reasonable than a GTR or NSX. It doesn't have to be faster than either car, as that is, to be frank, completely pointless. It just has to do what the GTR did back in 2009 and provide a unique driving experience that sells. Whether it will do that or not, I have no idea, but what I do know is that nobody is going to be cross shopping the Supra and an NSX, and we're all better off for it.

As for the size thing, dumbest thing I've read in a while. Sports cars shouldn't be big, no matter what Mizuno-San says. Simplify and add lightness.
All of this. :thumbsup:
Sponsored