Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
At the end of the "S" Spirit video they show the MK4's Supra logo, I wonder if they will reuse it for the new car as well.
Sponsored

adprokid

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
I can't see BMW allowing the Supra to beat their M cars, expect some power but nothing special, the ones on the payroll will talk to you into the driving dynamics and feel and they will duck and dodge the power lacking aspect... Toyota has all the resources in the world to build a 500+ hp Supra on their own but once again the retarded little punk boy ran to BMW to build the Supra for him, like when he did with 86 he went to Subaru, be prepared for a letdown after all this wait, it will be a handcuffed Supra, but hey its affordable right, thats something, and never forget driving dynamics and feel.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I can't see BMW allowing the Supra to beat their M cars, expect some power but nothing special, the ones on the payroll will talk to you into the driving dynamics and feel and they will duck and dodge the power lacking aspect... Toyota has all the resources in the world to build a 500+ hp Supra on their own but once again the retarded little punk boy ran to BMW to build the Supra for him, like when he did with 86 he went to Subaru, be prepared for a letdown after all this wait, it will be a handcuffed Supra, but hey its affordable right, thats something, and never forget driving dynamics and feel.
lmfao

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I didn't see David's video posted on this thread earlier. So many threads are going on with a lot of the same topics. I deleted my previous post on another thread from earlier today saying I agree with just about everything David has to say and believe a majority of enthusiast that were/are looking to buying this car have felt as of late with a lot of the rumors floating around. Toyota you obviously still have time to make it right and you set the bar high with the 2JZ even if that wasn't your intent. You chose to give this new car the Supra name which the last version ended up being a legend. Lets make sure this new one follows through. B58 block with Toyota internals and a Toyota/Yamaha head sounds capable if you want to go this route....just saying.

gte

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTR, GS350, 98 Quick Silver TT
I'd love to get this into Akio Toyoda's inbox.

I can't imagine anyone that has actually owned a Supra (especially a mk4) that would have reason to be excited for a BMW drivetrain.

2019 Toyota Gazoo Racing Supra - The fail of the century

It's been 20 years since Toyota had a real sports car for sale in the United States and for almost 20 years Toyota enthusiasts have been calling for a 5th generation Supra. Contrary to popular belief, the Supra was popular with enthusiasts before the first Fast and Furious movie because it was a GT class sports car with sexy curves, an in your face rear spoiler and an overbuilt drivetrain that took well to modifications. It was no slouch stock either, as it was as fast or faster than most sports cars of its time, including the Camaro, Mustang and Corvette. Although most versions were sold with a manual trans, it could be optioned as an automatic as well. All of this packaged inside of a timeless design made for one hell of a car.

Fast forward 20 years from the last time a Toyota Supra was sold in the US and Toyota has done what no one thought possible, created a bigger failure than the 3rd generation Ford Focus RS. We'll start off with the first failure example. The new Supra isn't even powered by a Toyota drivetrain, but instead by a drivetrian from one of the most unreliable manufacturers (outside of England) out there, BMW. Apparently Toyota did not learn with the GT86 how much enthusiasts do not like underpowered Toyota vehicles that do not use a reliable Toyota overbuilt engine. The GT86 is the most engine swapped Toyota vehicle ever created, from being able to put a 2j into it, to a K20 to even an LS1, no one wants a GT86 with a worthless Subaru engine in it. The new Supra is destined to follow the same fate, making this even more abhorrent is the fact that Toyota just released a 3.5L v6 twin turbo engine in the Lexus LS that it could have used in the new Supra.

The second facet to this colossal failure is the lack of a manual transmission. If there is anything Toyota should have learned from the GT86, it is that buyers want a manual transmission option as demonstrated by GT86 sales. Toyota failed to acknowledge this by only offering the 5th generation Supra with an automatic transmission. To add insult to injury, Toyota recently patented a manual matic transmission that is an automatic transmission that has a manual mode which can use a clutch and shifter that has manual transmission-esqe feedback for the driver. The new Supra would have been a perfect opportunity to showcase this new technology and Toyota failed.

Finally let's discuss the failure trifecta, the 3rd facet of this hat trick of failures is the horsepower offered in the new Supra. 335hp from a twin turbo 3L inline 6. Not one current or former mk4 Supra owner would choose a BMW engine just for the sake of heritage to get a inline 6 motor. Toyota is said to have wanted to pay homage to the previous generation Supras by using an inline 6 motor, but instead has disappointed and insulted mk4 lovers across the globe. No current or former mk4 owner would choose the underpowered and unreliable BMW i6 over the Toyota 3.5L v6 (engine code v35a-fts) just for the sake of having an inline 6. That's like Apple choosing a smaller screen for its next generation phone to pay homage to the first generation Iphone. This vehicle actually will technically come with less hp than the mk4 Supra, which even though it was advertised at 320hp, would dyno between 300whp and 320whp (my 98 Quicksilver dynoed at 321whp) which would put the flywheel hp at least 350hp. The factory mph in 1/4 mile testing backs this up as well.

Toyota is abusing the Supra name plate to sell an embarrassment of a Supra, to draw in buyers who wanted to own a mk4 Supra when they were younger but were not able to for whatever reason. They'll be duped into thinking they can finally get a Supra when in reality they're being offered something that isn't even worthy of the Celica name plate and is a frankenstein abomination of a vehicle at best, let alone the Supra name plate.

I can't believe Toyota made us wait 20 years for this turd sandwich, which is destined to be the most engine swapped Toyota ever. I guarantee at least a dozen 2j swaps by the time the car is 1 year old. Toyota should be ashamed of itself for bringing this car to market. I'll leave you with a few disappointments about the new Supra as well as a list of current cars that have about the same or more horsepower than the mk5 Toyota Supra.

-An extremely disappointed current mk4 Supra owner

15 more hp than 26 years ago (technically 15 to 20hp less than 26 years ago)
30 more hp than a Toyota Camry
Lack of a manual transmission
Not powered by Toyota
Follows the same failed path as the Subaru GT86

A list of cars with about the same or more power:

Nissan 370z (no forced induction)
Ford Fusion
Focus RS
Chevy SS
Lincoln Mkz
Kia Stinger
Hyundai Genesis
Every single v8 American car or v8 truck
Audi Rs3
Cadillac ATS
Jaguar XE
Infiniti Q60
School buses
There will probably be motorcycles with more hp than the mk5 Toyota Supra

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
My solution to this problem that I posted in the other thread.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/more-supra-specs-and-benchmark-details.789/

Maybe the "Post New Thread" red button should be disable for new members and people with less then 20-50 post. Other forums do this as well. The reasoning behind this is too make people read and post on the existing threads instead of making repost and or retarded new threads.

But why does it matter? Shouldn't people able to post whatever they want? Yes and no, when we have more of these types of threads it pushes the good stuff down. And as the forum grows this will become even more common. Anyways, just my 2 cents.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Please post links to substantiate the following claims:

No manual
335hp

Yes we have all seen the rumours, but it is all conjecture

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota doing something right if we getting new members pissed off. Must be taking Ttump's example
Sponsored