Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

EDub

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Mark II
How great would it feel taking out your A90 and be just like any other BMW out there with that exact or very similar engine? Why is no one getting this? Taking out the A80 for a spin was and still is special every single time. I am just not getting the same vibe from the A90. It looks great, I am sure it will handle great but a grandpa in his 5 series parked next to me will remind me every single time it’s just a tuned bmw with a Toyota badge.

Whatever I can do to the A90 that grandpa can do to his 5 series. Yay, i’ll have the edge on him in the handling department. It’s just sad. Maybe if I was younger I could fool myself to believe I am driving something special. It’s like fake tits, they are nice to look at and play with when you are young and stupid but there is no substitution to the real thing. (That last part was just a joke, please let’s not get into real tits vs fake tits unless you provide pics to make your points)
A) if you like the car, who cares what others think.

B) I feel like people look back on the mk4 like it wasnt shared components with other cars. Some 100yr old Lexus guy could roll up to you "nice peasant/common folk version sc300" "oh cool car I thought that was a Toyota sedan engine" you know the truth of the matter but there's always going to be annoying people out there. As long as the car is special to you thats what counts.
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
True, but as far as the previous supras are concerned the driveline is pretty meh other then the Mk4.

Even though the mkv will be sharing parts with a Z4, I look at it more like, what BMW are both of those cars getting their parts from. Chances are they're more likely going to be M variants or high end models with the power the Mkv is supposed to be putting down. That excites me more then it worries me.
I'm making 650whp stock driveline JZA70, aside from motor mods like cams, fuel, turbo, etc.

The stoutness of the jza80 is really the transmission, with the bump in displacement making more power under the curve, but that's about it.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
The JZA80 was a bunch of reused components from the Toyota/Lexus parts bin thrown together with a new body, brakes and interior. (Oh and a nice 6-speed transmission from the Germans).

It wasn't even the first car to use the 2JZ-GTE.

Jeff

Last edited:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
The JZA80 was a bunch of reused components from the Toyota/Lexus parts bin thrown together with a new body, brakes and interior. (Oh and a nice 6-speed transmission from the Germans).

Jeff
Legendary Aristo V is true king of the 2JZ. :yes::yes::yes:

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase

Jeff
However.. 2JZ was made great by the A80. I rather Toyota/Lexus parts bin stuff than BMW on my Supra though

rileyapon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a70
the moment when2j was made great

if the mkv doesnt live up to hype, we can overnight parts from japan if we have to

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I would put it more as the Supra was made great by the 2JZGTE.
This. Hence why the second most popular engine swap in any car next to an LS is a 2JZ. Everything is better with a 2JZ!

EDub

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Mark II
I'm making 650whp stock driveline JZA70, aside from motor mods like cams, fuel, turbo, etc.

The stoutness of the jza80 is really the transmission, with the bump in displacement making more power under the curve, but that's about it.
For sure, I'm sure you know what I was getting at. It's not like we got the jza70 in the USA. Though a TTR is one of my favorite Supra's.

I actually recently got rid of my Tom's Aristo to go back to a Mark II because I prefer the 1JZ. That and a Mark II benefits from being 4-500lbs lighter.

EDub

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Mark II
I've had plenty of both, but agreed on the 1JZ being the favorite.

There's just something there that draws me to it.
Stock for stock the 1jz is more exciting imo. It revs quick and screams like a banshee, my 2j aristo reved slow and has a deeper tone which doesn't sound as a aggressive. I've had several 1J cars and I keep coming back as well.

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
This is pure speculation, but I think it'll be at a fairly noticeable angle, likely to lower the CoG. I highly doubt it's Dry-Sump out anything like that as that really lends itself to higher costs and potential reliability issues.

Hey guff, I was wondering, would that angle + a dry sump system lower this engine pretty low? This would lower the CoG greatly right? I do agree that the costs and reliability would be greater, but maybe this is one of those costs that they agreed to take on? I'm just REALLY curious how an inline 6 can have a lower CoG than a flat 4......:popcorn: The engineer in me can't wait to see these nerdy details hahaha
Sponsored