Insurance for Modified Supra

Socomplicated

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I recently read an article about a man denied insurance claim for having a modified exhaust.
The main point of purchasing my supra was to modify it, not extensively but stage 2 and a wing. Did you guys let your insurance know these mods were being done and pray you don't get into an accident? Did you claim it and your premium went up? I was shopping around and denied insurance from belairdirect if I were to have a downpipe, charge pipe, turbo intake and wing. GTA area

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/ontario-man-denied-insurance-claim-after-modifying-his-sports-car
Sponsored

Okvilln

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Toyota Supra | 20' Audi S5 SB | 11' R8
When I purchased insurance for the Supra, I was asked by the insurance rep if the vehicle had any modifications. I replied not yet but it will have suspension and aftermarket wheels. It would appear to me that Insurance companies are cracking down on mods. YMMV.

OP
OP
Socomplicated

Socomplicated

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Oh I don’t mind paying, I just want it insured. Never been denied for wanting to pay premium for a modified car, at least that goes for Belairdirect and Desjardin.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I got progressive and nobody asked. I did everything online too so I didn’t have to talk with anyone.

Okvilln

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Oh I don’t mind paying, I just want it insured. Never been denied for wanting to pay premium for a modified car, at least that goes for Belairdirect and Desjardin.
Give TD insurance a call. They don't seem to care about mods. Report back and let us know your experience.

OP
OP
Socomplicated

Socomplicated

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Gave them a call earlier today, quoted me $329/month. Cosmetic modifications under $5000 allowed. Engine modification under 50hp allowed. Told them I wanted to get a charge pipe, turbo intake pipe and cold air intake which would increase the quote to $457/month. I was confused as I don't think it would go over 50hp for the modifications. I figured that the turbo intake pipe might have confused the sales rep, so I explained that the car already had a factory turbo. Further down the road I want to see if I can keep the plan but with adding a downpipe. Extremely happy so I will be switching with TD next month.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
that is so ridiculous, really shouldn't matter at all, unless you want the mods covered in case of a total loss or theft, who cares if you an exhaust or something or a lip, wheels, springs etc. Insurance companies suck..., and yes I know, when you need them you won't be saying that but I have never had a good experience with insurance, thankfully (knock on wood) never had to claim my own (pure) but when I had people run into me and stuff, companies like progressive and allstate are the literal worst.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Is there any reason why you wouldn't want your mods and the labor covered by insurance? I make sure to inform the insurance company for all mods in case of a total loss or theft. When you've got nearly 10 grand into a car, in addition to the 50 some thousand in cash you dropped, don't you want that back if something happens?

I'm not exactly sure what the premium is for just the Supra, but for all of the non-health insurance combined, I'm pretty sure it's less than like 10k a year. Seems like a pretty reasonable piece of mind.

Okvilln

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gave them a call earlier today, quoted me $329/month. Cosmetic modifications under $5000 allowed. Engine modification under 50hp allowed. Told them I wanted to get a charge pipe, turbo intake pipe and cold air intake which would increase the quote to $457/month. I was confused as I don't think it would go over 50hp for the modifications. I figured that the turbo intake pipe might have confused the sales rep, so I explained that the car already had a factory turbo. Further down the road I want to see if I can keep the plan but with adding a downpipe. Extremely happy so I will be switching with TD next month.
Charge pipe and intake will def keep hp increase under 50hp. Happy to hear you got insured ??

SavageGTR34

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Im running with Progressive an they give you the option of covering aftermarket parts of up to 5,000 and you can call an add additional if you want. Since im also using that snap shot plug in they have im also getting a better deal. Now for those who say they wouldn't want the insurance company tracking everything...im doing this for a cheaper rate for 1 and 2 as a truck driver im out on the road for 5 months an then home for about 7-10 days then out for another 5 so more then likely my supra won't even see 1000 miles this year an purchased it in march

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
Keep in mind the that OP is from Canada and the topic is about Canadian insurance.

AmeliakRyanare

First Name
Ameliak
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ford
I had same story in the past with my Toyota BRZ GT 2013 , I've had hard times finding a good insurance company but most of them rejected as I was about 18/19 at that time but luckily I came up across joywallet.com , they offer great costumer support and insure the car fully no matter what changes has been made to.

Last edited:
Reactions: zrk

Jaxness

First Name
Jax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxness.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra LE #1292, 2012 Yamaha R6
I always provide my insurance company with a list of aftermarket parts to make sure they're covered in the event of a total loss.

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
I don't even know if ICBC does this (in BC)?
I LOL'd when I got my insurance. I thought she punched the wrong car in. It's the cheapest car to insure that I own.
Sponsored