Interest level in rain guards (wind deflector) as potential buffeting solution

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)' started by Enwave, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Enwave

Enwave Member

Car(s):
    2017 BMW M240i
    Liked:
    While I’m waiting for my Absolute Zero to show up (vessel date next week!) I’ve been working with a buddy here locally to potentially produce window guards that may help with the buffeting issue. Sometimes these are referred to as rain guards — they are the little visor style wind deflectors that run across the top of door frame above the driver and passenger side windows down to the side mirror area.

Haven’t seen any in the aftermarket yet, and admittedly what would get produced here would just be black ABS plastic until something more formal is produced by someone.

Gauging interest levels — if I put together a little group fab/buy, would anyone here be interested? Maybe wait until I actually run them for a bit to see how they work?

2. Ale81

Ale81 Member

Car(s):
    2016 Lexus RC350 F Sport RWD, 2018Lexus RX350
    Liked:
    I appreciate your effort to countermeasure the problem however there is no top of door frame above the driver or passenger window to attach anything to. The door windows are frame less.

3. OP
    OP
    Enwave

Enwave Member

Car(s):
    2017 BMW M240i
    Liked:
    #3 Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Haha yes, of course you can’t do in-channel or traditional deflectors, but you do have the quick window roll-down on open that often gives enough affordance for an adhered deflector on either the pillar, the roof, or both that will still break air flow in the desired way. You see these on Porsches at the track regularly, usually they stick to a vertical piece near the side mirrors, but I’ve seen quite a few different configs for stuff like this on frameless window vehicles.

Obviously without have the car in hand we don’t have a ton of info yet. Is there something that would prevent an adhered wind deflector that I’m missing?

4. larrymz3

larrymz3 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Any pics \ sketches of what your envisioning?

5. OP
    OP
    Enwave

Enwave Member

Car(s):
    2017 BMW M240i
    Liked:
    So any portion of these places as the adhere location(s). You can think of the shape of the piece as almost like a trunk lid lip spoiler rather than a bubble like a traditional in-channel rain guard.

Ideally the piece could be small enough to be hardly noticeable 0.5-1” rubber near the side mirror mount. But I am thinking we’ll have to go partway up the pillar to really solve it. We are leaning toward rubber instead of ABS if we do the pillar or roof line. But we might still be able to get away with ABS near the side mirror.

Biggest challenge with pillar/roof will be making it look half decent. Not as worried about that on the mirror mount area — that should be easier to design

F372164A-96FA-43A8-83A7-BC35C1B9DBAE.jpeg

6. GirlRepellent

GirlRepellent Active Member

Car(s):
    A90 Supra
    Liked:
    OMG, yes. Please do it. FRS/BRZ was frame less Toyota made really nice clip on rain guards.

Enwave likes this.
  7. forAiur

forAiur New Member

Car(s):
    toyota
    Liked:
    #7 Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    I would be interested in this, as long as it’s subtle :)

Supra Dupra likes this.
  8. Zwagoner

Zwagoner New Member

First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    2013 BRZ, 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Intrested

9. E4EVL

E4EVL Active Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    AMG GTS - sold awaiting a replacement
    Liked:
    That doesn’t necessarily matter... I had them on my S15, pillar-less/frameless doors

Sorry for the lack of decent photos to show as it was in the potato phone camera era...

A810BAA2-741B-4EF5-A722-BC4C5DDBA4B5.jpeg

Supra Dupra likes this.