Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Hey guys,

I was detailing my interior today and as I was wiping down the driver side door panel with griot's interior detailer, I noticed there was a white peeling effect happening as I was wiping down. It looks like some coating on the door material has failed. It left shiny spots that are somewhat sticky. The passenger side is fine. I will attach photos below.

Background: bought the car in August 2019, 35% tints all around, 50% windshield tint. I've always used a windshield cover when parked outside at work. The car is not garage kept so it is exposed to the sun nearly everyday here in south Florida.

I will be taking it to the dealer for a warranty claim. I will have them wipe it for themselves and see the peeling. It ruins the matte premium look the car has when new (in the interior). Shiny spots here and there makes it look cheap. Have any of you experienced this on your Supras?
PXL_20210711_221652975.jpg
PXL_20210711_220723363.jpg
PXL_20210711_225655391.jpg
PXL_20210711_220723363.jpg
PXL_20210711_221724979.jpg
Sponsored

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
I have not and do not have any experience with the issue you are having...sorry..
Just wanted to say Toyota might have an issue with chemicals being used on the interior trim...
I personally wouldn't tell them that you used a detailer....

Best of luck getting the issue resolved...

Btw..mild soap n water works great to clean the interior...

Steve

NeedCoffee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I have the same issue. Happened last night when I was wiping down the driver side door. I was like wtf is goin on? it kept flaking off like dandruff.

s1nrgy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 3.0 Supra Premium
Have not seen this on a Supra but I have seen it on other vehicles where the tint people got all the lubricant they use all over the door panels and didn't clean it up properly which left residue just sitting on affected areas. just my 2 cents.

NeedCoffee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Have not seen this on a Supra but I have seen it on other vehicles where the tint people got all the lubricant they use all over the door panels and didn't clean it up properly which left residue just sitting on affected areas. just my 2 cents.
Yes but itā€™s only on driverā€™s side door panel. Just like what OPā€˜s issue. I donā€™t think thatā€™s a coincidence. Clearly this has something to do with quality or lack of it. My car was tinted 6 months ago and Iā€™ve clean the interior many times after that. So I highly doubt itā€™s the residue from tinting.
871D2B71-A6A4-437B-B3F0-BA514C9ADBDE.jpeg

Last edited:

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
I had something similar happen but nothing peeled off, instead the rain made what looked like stains and drip marks.

Could be some kind of glaze put on, either by the dealer or from factory, to make it look clean and shiny but it isn't supposed to be durable or permenant solution.

I believe dealers usually detail the car before delivery and apply all sorts of waxes and glazes inside and out.

s1nrgy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes but itā€™s only on driverā€™s side door panel. Just like what OPā€˜s issue. I donā€™t think thatā€™s a coincidence. Clearly this has something to do with quality or lack of it. My car was tinted 6 months ago and Iā€™ve clean the interior many times after that. So I highly doubt itā€™s the residue from tinting.
They might be able to warranty it as a factory defect if your vehicle is still within 3/36...then you'd have to have the dealer take apart that door panel to replace it. Up to you if its worth that or not.

NeedCoffee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Car has 6k miles, garage kept since last October. Did not have this problem until last night wiping the interior doors. Sucks to have to take it to the dealership. They might cause more rattles lol

s1nrgy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Car has 6k miles, garage kept since last October. Did not have this problem until last night wiping the interior doors. Sucks to have to take it to the dealership. They might cause more rattles lol
I agree. The only benefit of working at the dealership when I had my FK8 was I could pick my tech to do warranty work lol. Cant do the same now :(

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Iā€™d suggest trying to clean it with 409 on a clean microfiber towel.

NeedCoffee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Iā€™d suggest trying to clean it with 409 on a clean microfiber towel.
I tried everything. I have many interior cleaning products. Iā€˜m not a pro detailer just a weekend warrior type. The white residue just keeps coming off no matter what I used. I had to stop b/c it was 90 degrees and 100% humidity. The more I wipe, the panel becomes less matte and gives it the shiny look. I donā€™t use any products that makes the int shine.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I tried everything. I have many interior cleaning products. Iā€˜m not a pro detailer just a weekend warrior type. The white residue just keeps coming off no matter what I used. I had to stop b/c it was 90 degrees and 100% humidity. The more I wipe, the panel becomes less matte and gives it the shiny look. I donā€™t use any products that makes the int shine.
~ ultimately it sounds like it may be an defective panel.

OP
OP
Kaizen

Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Thanks for the replies guys,

I will be talking to Larry from Ammo NYC tomorrow on the issue. He has not seen something like this in his detailing experience. Upon further research these past few days, I came across an old forum for C6 Corvettes that had a similar issue. Someone pointed out that it could be residue left from the vinyl gassing off. This could very well be the issue. I have tried rubbing the passenger door with a wet microfiber somewhat aggressively and it also started peeling.

I will keep you guys posted on what it turns out to be. My dealership is aware and have seen it, but I want to see if it is just the vinyl de-gassing leaving the matte finish.

On another note, do any of you guys have the "ashy" center console side plastic and/or glove box? That's another anomaly I just ignored. Although I clean it, it would still dry and look ashy.

Reactions: zrk

jmpickrell

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nitro Yellow Supra
New to this forum and just happened across this thread so I thought I'd share my past experience.

I've had the exact same thing happen in each of my last several vehicles (Ford, Chevy, Mazda, Infiniti/Nissan, Mercedes, Lexus) after having the windows tinted. It appeared to be from the tint installers not being careful when they install the tint. I know they say they only use soap and water but I have no idea what soap it actually is they use (if this is the case). I've seen this so many times that I make sure to bring towels to the installer and stress they use the towels to line beneath the windows to prevent this type of stuff. Unfortunately most of them don't care when doing these jobs.

(I've also seen similar with rain but assumed it was from the product I was using for detailing my car at the time many many years ago. This is another reason I always have spare napkins or a microfiber towel in the door pockets so I can immediately wipe off the panels during rain.)

Hopefully Toyota will replace it for you but I'd caution everyone and anyone who is going to have windows tinted to talk to the installer directly and let them know you'll hold them liable if the car has that kind of stuff when you get it back.

Z4UPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I had blotches with mine. I used "soap and water" to wipe it. After that, wiped it down again with just a microfiber towel damp with clean water. You could use distilled water if you're super OCD like me. :)
Sponsored