Interior Mirror-Electrical Connector(s) Pinout?

akasonny

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium (Downshift Blue)
BlendMount manufactures a pretty nice bracket for installing a radar detector beneath the interior mirror. I picked one up for my Belltronics unit and made the better part of a day working with it.

First the BlendMount is a quality item...flat-black, all metal and very sturdy (unlike the cheapy plastic brackets--and no, I'm neither an employee nor am I getting anything free here. It tends to be a little on the pricey side especially when you add in the taps for the electrical hookup.

In case you've been contemplating this, be prepared for considerably more time than you'd anticipate. Here are the surprises:

* The plastic housing against the windshield, surrounding the mirror base, is TWO pieces. It doesn't separate easily as there are three clips in the center (inside) holding the two halves together. Just knowing it parts in the middle would have saved me 1/2 hour;

* Once the plastic is removed, the mirror slides downwards and off. Not knowing this was a spooky experience as it actually fell in my lap. Eeeek!

* With the mirror removed you'll see TWO connectors, not the expected ONE. With no schematic found, it became an exercise in trial & error. That was a dilemma. Which connector shall I use? The larger connector was fairly easy to remove....but the other, smaller clip was impossible for me to get out of there. I finally gave up and decided to use the larger connector;

* I was able to find ground (multimeter test)...it is black/brown and the red wire is hot on opposite ends of the connector. Not surprising but read on...

* These wires don't turn off with the ignition! I triple-checked all the wires in the connector. I finally decided to manually turn on/off the radar detector and use the hot wire.

* Tightened the bolts on the mount and hooked-up...all works fine.

Some here may have either inside knowledge on Toyota's wiring and/or experience with these mirrors which would make this all much easier. Until then, maybe this will help.
Sponsored

Ale81

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350
BlendMount manufactures a pretty nice bracket for installing a radar detector beneath the interior mirror. I picked one up for my Belltronics unit and made the better part of a day working with it.

First the BlendMount is a quality item...flat-black, all metal and very sturdy (unlike the cheapy plastic brackets--and no, I'm neither an employee nor am I getting anything free here. It tends to be a little on the pricey side especially when you add in the taps for the electrical hookup.

In case you've been contemplating this, be prepared for considerably more time than you'd anticipate. Here are the surprises:

* The plastic housing against the windshield, surrounding the mirror base, is TWO pieces. It doesn't separate easily as there are three clips in the center (inside) holding the two halves together. Just knowing it parts in the middle would have saved me 1/2 hour;

* Once the plastic is removed, the mirror slides downwards and off. Not knowing this was a spooky experience as it actually fell in my lap. Eeeek!

* With the mirror removed you'll see TWO connectors, not the expected ONE. With no schematic found, it became an exercise in trial & error. That was a dilemma. Which connector shall I use? The larger connector was fairly easy to remove....but the other, smaller clip was impossible for me to get out of there. I finally gave up and decided to use the larger connector;

* I was able to find ground (multimeter test)...it is black/brown and the red wire is hot on opposite ends of the connector. Not surprising but read on...

* These wires don't turn off with the ignition! I triple-checked all the wires in the connector. I finally decided to manually turn on/off the radar detector and use the hot wire.

* Tightened the bolts on the mount and hooked-up...all works fine.

Some here may have either inside knowledge on Toyota's wiring and/or experience with these mirrors which would make this all much easier. Until then, maybe this will help.
Lots of good info. There is a thread called "Laser Jammer / Radar Detector Installation that also contains info how to hardwire a detectors.

OP
OP
akasonny

akasonny

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium (Downshift Blue)
Lots of good info. There is a thread called "Laser Jammer / Radar Detector Installation that also contains info how to hardwire a detectors.
Guess I missed that. Thanks.
Sponsored