Interview Questions for Detroit from the Fans

What 2018 Auto Show do you Toyota will pick for a possible unveiling?

• Detroit

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Chicago

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • New York

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Geneva

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Los Angeles

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Pebble Beach Concours D'Eleganc

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • None of the above, it will take place at a 2019 auto show.

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Its almost time for Tokyo! Is anyone going? Also anyone with a media pass? :D

I think it would be great to put together a list of Q&A from the fans and enthusiasts for someone over at the Toyota side to answer.

So if you could ask a question what would it be?

Sponsored

NYC_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
1. When the New Supra goes on sale where does it fit in the Toyota/Lexus model line up i.e. is it intended to be the true halo sports car for Toyota as a whole?
(Without asking is that place reserved for the Lexus LCF and/or a possible second generation LFA to which the generic answer would be we don't speculate on future products.

2. Will the top performing model be offered with a manual transmission?

3. What was the biggest challenge in the development of this car?

Ok I could keep going but I will stop for now...

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
If the new FT-1/Supra prototype is finally unveiled at this year's Tokyo Auto Show, will the top performing model on display be the highest spec version envisioned or will there be a future higher-horsepower/performance model unveiled another year down the road (aka a base C7 Corvette vs a C7 Z06 or a Camaro SS vs a Camaro ZL1)?

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1. What cars will this car compete with?
2. In terms of the chasis; was anything modified to extend the length/width compared to the Z4 besides the exterior panels+bumpers etc. (if this is even the case)?
3. If badged a Supra, what other name(s) was being considered? or if not badged a Supra, why?

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Assuming it is a concept car:

1. Why did Toyota feel a need to make another concept?

2. How close will the production car come to the concept, or how much of the styling will carryover onto the production car?

3. When and where can we expect to see the production car debut?

Last edited:

MR.TOYOTA

First Name
Cogy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sciontc,mk3supra
1. Will it be a toyota or bmw motor? (doubt it'll be answered tho lol)

2. are the rumors true? 4cyl model? and 6cyl?

3. if not named supra, what will it be called? and will this be the "halo" sport car to represent the brand as toyota? (other than lexus?)

4. how close is it till production? late 2018 as 2019 model? or are we waiting even longer still?

5. What we see from the new concept when revealed, how close will it be to production form? and how much will carry over?

i think that's it for me for now...

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Oh snapppppp, I will have to ponder on this. Also, I wonder how much tickets are....

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
1-Do they want my money? :p (a.k.a will it come with a manual? )
2-Target Weight for the higher end model?
3-Extrapolated from the spy shots, the J29 actually has shorter wheelbase than the GT86 (ZN6), so won't the higher HP car naturally be wider and longer?
4-What was Toyota's influence in this project vs BMW's? is the J29 a coupe G29 or is it more than just that? In other-words what have they done to retain he supra legacy?
5-Are they planning on using electrical/electrically assisted Turbos?
6-Will the J29 ever come with a Sport-Roof / Targa top? (especially since it shares a platform with a convertible)

(bonus; 7-do they read this forum? )

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Mines is a comment and question.

When the FT1 was unveiled may people thought it would be base on the production LF-LC (LC500).

Question part.

1. Were there any serious thoughts and consideration from Toyota for using the LC's bones for a new Supra?
2. Follow up: If so, what happened for Toyota to decide to go another route?
3. Was it BMW that came to Toyota for the idea of a Z4/Supra, or was it the other way around?
4. Why did Toyota not do this project in house?
5. Has Akio driven the prototype as reported by many media outlets?
6. What role has Toyota played in this joint venture?
7. Is Toyota worried about BMW reliability issues?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
1. What competitor's car(s) was/were used as a benchmark for this project? (Eg. Porsche Cayman was used for 86 Development)
2. In 2016, a manufacturer-registered MKIV Toyota Supra was caught testing on the Nurburgring, along with some Lexus F-models and a Porsche 997 911 GT3RS. Was this MKIV Supra just for benchmarking, or was it using an MKIV shell with new drivetrain components? Also, was the 911 GT3RS being used as a benchmark for the Supra?
3. How much of the development team on the MKV Supra is carried over from the FT86 Project team? And was the 86 used as a benchmark for chassis/vehicle dynamics?
4. The FT86 project was designed with the intention of creating a canvas for owners to modify their cars, as explained by Tada-San in numerous interviews. Is the MKV Supra designed with the same regards to modification in the aftermarket, both first-party and third-party?
5. Will Toyota be introducing MKV Supra hubs/stores for owners, similar to Area86 for 86 owners?
6. Are there plans to participate in racing with the MKV Supra, such as the GRMN 86 and LFA that won at the 24h of Nur?
7. In the early stages of development, was there any plan to pursue the MKV Supra project entirely in-house at Toyota, with production in Motamachi? What factors led to the decision of partnering with BMW?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Here are my questions...and these are serious questions:

1) If Toyota wanted to capture and echo the essence and soul from the 2000GT & Supra for the FT-1, did that mean there will be comparable quality and engineering for the FT-1?

2) Will we actually see a manual transmission in the new FT-1?

3) Will Toyota have a true Nissan GT-R competitor?

Kbreak30

First Name
Sitt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 Lexus LS430 / 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
1. I'd like to know the most realistic release date or at least pre-order for US market. Any differences between Japan market and US market as far as options?
2. Since we aren't going to get a real numbers (horsepower/ weight), will the new Supra outperforms the Lexus RCF interms of power? Less power but much lighter? Very close in power output? Slower? Faster?
3. What car type would the Supra be categorized in, 2 seater? 4 seater?

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
Not a question but more of a statement.

Lack of a manual transmission will be a deal breaker for me regardless of any of the other stats.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.