Interviews w/ Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada (Post Launch)

ichitaka05

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
^Maybe @ichitaka05 can translate for us? :)

interview.jpg
I donā€™t do free translation. Guff had to vip me around the whole trip at Detroit. lol

Half joke a side, atm Iā€™m busy at work. Didnā€™t see much ā€œnewā€ info was giving from the quick look of it. Few ā€œAh~ I figuredā€ kinda answers.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
The last video interview posted above (the one with Akio Toyoda in a dress down cardigan)... I love that guy's style. The video I mean. The choice of the cutting, the big throwback red Kanji text like old commercial segments used to have, and his fast 70's tough investigative reporter/presenter style (at least that was my impression). It was fun.

I don't know what they discussed or what his thoughts were but he does a very entertaining, high energy auto journalist video :)

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/revealed-future-new-toyota-supra

Revealed: the future of the new Toyota Supra

Faster versions? Lightweight versions? A roadster? Here's what to expect

The new Toyota Supra isnā€™t here yet. So far weā€™ve only driven a disguised prototype, and UK deliveries are unlikely to begin before this September. However, that doesnā€™t mean we donā€™t want to know what Toyota might have in store for the Supra further down the line. With that in mind we sat down with chief engineer Tetsuya Tada to find out about faster ones, slower ones, manual ones, tuner ones and ones that might look a bit differentā€¦

Can we expect some fast Supras?
I asked Tada-San if heā€™d be able to use a BMW M engine in the Supra. Specifically the new 500bhp twin turbo 3.0-litre thatā€™ll soon appear in the new X3 M and X4 M, and next year in the new M3/M4. Cue standard obfuscating answer: ā€œAs we further develop the car I believe that deals can be made and concluded as necessary, and one iconic element of Supra is in-line cylinders and we need to cherish that.ā€

This is when you have to read between the lines. The answer, I suspect very strongly, is no. Besides any question of packaging, justification for using that engine would only come if BMW also signed off a new Z4 M Roadster, which it shows no signs of doing. Mā€™s direction seems SUV-fixated at present and the market for roadsters with anything over 350bhp is currently very limited.

So a lightweight one instead?
Yeah, thatā€™s the more likely direction. At Geneva, Toyota showed a GT4 racer (above). Same engine and suspension, less weight. This is a theme Tada-san has already touched on with Top Gear. ā€œAt some point I would like to make a track-limited Supra with less weight,ā€ he told us a while back. ā€œWeā€™re already making a racing version so we know if you take out 100kg itā€™s a completely different car ā€“ you donā€™t even need any more power.ā€

This time he expanded on that: ā€œFor GT86 we came up with 100 units of a special version, called GRMN, for Japan only. And in one day we had 3,000 orders. That kind of special version is what we have in mind also for Supra. But this time I hope that customers worldwide can enjoy this. Engines obviously need to get better, the horsepower probably needs to be improved, the suspension or the body balance is something that could also be improved or reviewed.ā€

So hereā€™s the guess: The Toyota GR Supra will spawn a limited edition GRMN Supra with a bit more power (BMW produces this engine with up to 382bhp in countries not subject to EU emissions regulations), but perhaps 100kg less weight thanks to lighter wheels, carbon brakes, carbon seats, less soundproofing and so on. A proper halo model for Toyota.

Will there be slower Supras?
Although Toyota hasnā€™t officially commented, itā€™s well known that plans for an entry-level Supra are well advanced. As Tada-san commented, ā€œthe Supra needs to continue to evolve each yearā€, hinting that thereā€™s a plan for a whole model range rather than just this one Ā£52,695 coupe. The entry-level engine will be BMWā€™s single turbo B48 2.0-litre four cylinder motor (pictured above, from a BMW 330i).

Tada-san added: ā€œThe 2.0-litre engine will be lighter, which would improve the balance, so in a way youā€™ve come up with an even better handling of the car. And itā€™s not only the engine that will be lighter, we can make the transmission lighter, so actually itā€™s a considerable difference in the weight ā€“ about 100kg lighter.ā€

What we donā€™t know is how much power the base Supra will get. Itā€™s fitted across the BMW range, from the Mini Cooper S to the BMW 630i and develops anywhere from 181bhp to 255bhp. In the Z4 it comes in two tunes: either 189bhp or 255bhp, giving 0-62mph in either 6.6 or 5.4secs. For simplicity of development itā€™s pretty safe to assume Toyota will follow BMWā€™s lead.

What about a manual gearbox?
So far itā€™s not in the offing. The 3.0-litre straight six is only available with the ZF eight-speed auto. Although BMW does produce that engine with a six-speed manual transmission, the suggestion from Tada-san is that Toyota wonā€™t follow suit: ā€œThe sports automatic version that [weā€™re] coming up with now is probably very different from the sports automatic cars that customers have in mind. Itā€™s a great evolution from what they have seen in the past.ā€

Then he went on to say, ā€œif they still feel that they need the manual version I hope to hear their feedback and voices after thisā€. Enough pestering might just get us a manual, then.

I suspect itā€™ll only be available with the 2.0-litre engine ā€“ as a way of lowering the entry sticker price, and perhaps on the GRMN ā€“ as a way of further separating Supra from Z4. Expect rev-matching software.

A new cabin design?
A point he raised, not me. The Supraā€™s interior, as we all know, bears a very striking resemblance to the Z4ā€™s. The architecture is identical, and the cars are built together on the same Steyr line, in Graz, Austria. In a passing comment, Tada-san said, ā€œmost sports car fans and customers would want evolution of the interior specificationā€¦ so thatā€™s what we have in mind in terms of the evolution in the futureā€.

This is interesting. Thereā€™s obviously a realisation that lifting so much from BMW is potentially damaging as it separates the Supra from the rest of the Toyota range, especially the GT86 (which Tada-san talks of as an ongoing project). Quite what Toyota can do to disguise the BMW origins ā€“ and indeed whether it would want to, given the difference in perceived quality between the two marques ā€“ remains to be seen.

Surely there'll be lots of tuner support?
Yep. Aftermarket tuning is a big part of Japanese car culture. And Toyota will actively support it. In fact, it already is. ā€œActually, just one week ago, I showed the Supra prototype to tuners in the training plant, so that they can start working on tuning partsā€, said Tada.

And yes, heā€™s aware that this will include people fitting the legendarily tuneable 2JZ engine from the fourth generation Supra. That was another 3.0-litre six-cylinder, but with two sequential turbochargers. As standard it had 320bhp, but the engine was so strong it could cope with four figure outputs. Itā€™ll happen again people, and you get the sense from Tada-san that heā€™ll actively encourage it. Behind the scenes at least.

How about a Supra roadster?
ā€œI think targa would be a higher probability or possibility than an open car version,ā€ says Tada. This is no surprise. Build a roadster and you tread straight on BMWā€™s toes. Do a Targa and you nod back to earlier Supras.

Besides, Tada comments, a full electric roof ā€œwould be heavier, it would disturb the handling. And handling is everythingā€.

He went on to say that there are some difficulties with a targa top. ā€œIā€™ve looked at it, and some customers say that itā€™s hard to store the roof and that once itā€™s been removed they donā€™t ever want to have [to do] it againā€¦ and because itā€™s tied to storage.ā€

Fair points, but not insurmountable. How about a clever electric mechanism? ā€œThat would be heavier.ā€ So probably not. But surely a manually removable panel or panels that could be stored in the car would be a viable solution? No comment. It would be lightweight, and wouldnā€™t reduce the Supraā€™s LFA-beating structural stiffness? Still no comment. I reckon thatā€™s as close as weā€™ll get to a confirmation.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
I hate how vague these Q&As are. I wish we could just get a straight answer. :banghead:

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
So basically, no S58 engine, the GT4 wouldn't have much hp increase, no manual, 2JZ swaps are encouraged, wait for aftermarket support to catch up and no targa.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Well he did say...
ā€œif they still feel that they need the manual version I hope to hear their feedback and voices after thisā€.

How do we contact this man? Lol Did that petition ever go anywhere? Let's get some votes on that sucker and ship it to him.
Sponsored