Featured Is a manual transmission in the cards for the new Supra?

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Supra93, Sep 19, 2018.

?

Only interested if it comes in manual?

1. Yes - must have manual

82.8%
  2. No - the auto is what I want

17.2%
  1. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Tundra TRD Pro, ST205 GT4, JZA70 TT-R, Q50-RS
    Liked:
    Given that the Japanese are speaking about the 4cyl already, I'd say 4cyl either isn't coming this year or may not end up coming to the US at all.

IIRC the 4cyl speak is all AT though atm.

supraboi, 2JZ-No-Sh*t and Supra93 like this.
  2. Turbro

Turbro Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    94 Supra TT 6 Speed, 91 180sx 5 Speed, 15 FoST, 13 FoST
    Liked:
    Manual is what I am waiting if possible. Hopefully by that point it gets a real spoiler and a targa option. Highly doubtful but one can dream.

3. OP
    OP
    Supra93

Supra93 Moderator

First Name:
    Tommy
    Car(s):
    Supra & RX7
    Liked:
    Chef
    Garage Profiles:
    I was thinking the same thing. It's kind of odd how Toyota Europe and Japan have announced the 4 cylinder Supra, but not a word from Toyota USA.

A70TTR likes this.
  4. mkivdreamer

mkivdreamer New Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    Honda S2000
    Liked:
    Could someone explain how the possibility of a manual and a 4 cylinder are related?

I have been waiting for this car for so long, but the lack of a manual is a real disappointment. Everyone knows the most sought after mkiv is the 6 speed TT. To not offer a manual makes no sense.

Unfortunately it’s not a Supra to me without a manual. I’ll likely pass if it doesn’t happen.

5. 2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    My feet
    Liked:
    Because the 4 banger Z4 20i in Europe already comes with a MT, whereas the I6 is auto only.

6. The Comedian

The Comedian Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 Subaru BRZ
    Liked:
    I feel like they should have started production 50/50 auto/manual to see where customers are opening their wallets to.

I'm betting this would be a 70/30 take MT/AT

Justin and KahnBB6 like this.
  7. McWicked

McWicked Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Stutz Bearcat
    Liked:
    Gentleman of Leisure
    Garage Profiles:
    Based on the take rates of many other modern sports cars that offer both, your estimate is almost exactly opposite of the reality.

RyanGT3RS, Vaevictum, jm6k and 2 others like this.
  8. KahnBB6

KahnBB6 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
    Liked:
    #143 Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    I came away very impressed today all things considering. Of course I still want to see how the GRMN top tier cars play out but the #1 thing that instantly makes even an A90 Supra base model a no-go is the lack of a manual transmission.

I get it that BMW felt a drop-top convertible 2-seater with 382hp didn't need a manual for some reason. That's their business. But Toyota's variant of this co-developed car is a much more hardcore sports machine that is downright weird lacking a manual. Especially if it will be the LAST pure internal combustion engine high performance Toyota sports car.

TSS 2.0 and the cost to get that to work with a manual... yeah, I understand the need for this safety functionality of it but at the end of the day I really love driving a manual vehicle and until absolutely no more are sold... that's the kind of transmission option I am always going to gravitate towards. Even in rush hour traffic I'm still happy I have a stick shift.

I don't care how good the A90's ZF 8HP is with its 4.1 second 0-60. I wouldn't spend $50k+ on this car when anything else that is comparable with a proper manual is on sale.

So... I really like what I saw today and I am still interested in news and the other variants and special improvements that Tada-san wants to make along the way, how the aftermarket community will react, how the car will be raced, etc.

But for me, I won't even remotely consider an non-manual A90. It's a shame because I'm pretty much sold on this car otherwise. Life is too short to not have the style of fun you want to have with a fun car :)

SupraStew85, Justin, A70TTR and 2 others like this.
  9. Redphaser

Redphaser Member

First Name:
    Eddie
    Car(s):
    2017 Golf R 6MT, 2006 Lotus Elise
    Liked:
    I'm a bit torn on this. I could easily make the "it'll be my daily driver so auto is a better choice for traffic" argument, but I've daily driven manual for almost 6 years now and haven't personally had an issue. I love driving manual and most of my cars have been manual.

Initially, I was super bummed about not having the option for the Supra since it's on the top of my list when it comes to what I want my next car to be. But as time moves on I find myself not caring quite so much about it. Had it been a Dual Clutch transmission I would honestly be perfectly fine with no manual, but a "standard" torque converter auto didn't sit well with me, at least at first. I did google around a bit and read some info on the 8-speed ZF they're using and seeing the specs and learning more about it on it put me more at ease.

If they offered a manual I'd probably still lean that way but I don't think I'll lose any sleep at this point getting the auto (especially if I find a way to keep the Lotus Elise, that's going to be the kicker I think).

Right now I'm in the boat of "Manual would be awesome, but I'm fine without it."

Other than that I'm loving what I've seen so far :D

A70TTR, Jabba, Turbro and 2 others like this.
  10. corry29

corry29 Active Member

Car(s):
    ハチロク
    Liked:
    My wishful thinking is that the GRMN will have Toyota’s very own 6cylinder mated with a 6sp manual.

Wishful, yet hopeful

Justin and Turbro like this.
  11. mas921

mas921 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BK38!! Z33 and a CZ4A
    Liked:
    Programmer
    #146 Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    A70TTR likes this.
  12. smokie

smokie Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    05 Evo RS
    Liked:
    I also find it interesting how nobody has mentioned anything about the electric ebrake? It seems as if the last drivers car is a GT86.

Is the demand not overwhelming for the manual? Whos buying these automatics? LOL. I don't care how good the auto is I still prefer to be involved with shifting the car.

KahnBB6 likes this.
  13. MT6

MT6 Active Member

Car(s):
    Supra
    Liked:
    According to Toyota they talked to Supra fans/enthusiasts and a M/T was not a big requirement. :bs:

I think BMW decided that the 3.0L Supra will not get a manual. Toyota either didn't have a say in this or doesn't care.

14. Kleanish

Kleanish Active Member

Car(s):
    98 C43 AMG
    Liked:
    Yeah wanted to post something on lines of what you said. We have to play this smart. We have to get as many people to back whatever way we choose to convince Toyota to offer a manual.

Like many have said, they can't possibly build a drivers car and not offer a manual. I see a world 30+ years in the future where autonomous and electric cars are 90% of the road. But these last few manual, driver-oriented cars will be the ones we car lovers save (along with older, simpler classics). Where we pay 9 bucks for a tank of gas to hit the track or back roads. That is the tradition and legacy Toyota is turning away from by not offering a manual.

Goddamn, I'm getting a little fired up. How can we convince them?

15. Turbro

Turbro Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    94 Supra TT 6 Speed, 91 180sx 5 Speed, 15 FoST, 13 FoST
    Liked:
    I so agree with you in the future 30 years. I think its going to happen sooner than that like 15-20 years where most people drive an EV everyday. Heck, I will gladly drive an EV everyday (which will be auto obviously) once they get some cooler looking ones out.

BUT for those weekends... I 100% do not want an auto sports car since our daily will be an ev auto most likely. You are seeing the last generation ICE manual cars forever IMO. 10 years from now will be almost impossible to get a manual car. I want to row the gears for sure (this is if my knees stay in good shape in 30 years when im 60). Get them now while you can, they wont be around forever.

Kleanish and Jabba like this.