Is a manual transmission in the cards for the new Supra?

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
CVT? I hope so!
Nissan wants to know your location

Advertisement

Kleanish

Reaction score
Car(s)
98 C43 AMG
3 options...ZF8, Rev Matching Manual(let's be honest..), and a Hybrid option i presume?
I'll think they'll for sure add rev matching because of what tada said about "anyone can drive this car" and believe they will continue that mindset with the manual. The new corolla has rev matching, but you can turn it off!

Kleanish

Reaction score
Car(s)
98 C43 AMG
Also I thought about this a couple days ago. Hyrbid, ICE auto, and ICE manual. Think that'll be a first among automobiles and will probably be a last.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Also I thought about this a couple days ago. Hyrbid, ICE auto, and ICE manual. Think that'll be a first among automobiles and will probably be a last.
Hmmm...GRMN MKV with a TTL6 that borrows hybrid tech from the TS050 would be absolutely bonkers

KahnBB6

Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
Or perhaps a variation on the odd automated manual that still had a gearstick in that 86 HV Sport concept. Not my preferred choice but... if that ever makes production in any Toyota alongside a traditional manual... interesting.

KahnBB6

Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ All very promising and exciting if true.

KahnBB6

Reaction score
Car(s)
....so, whats the third? I thought even the JDM 4cyl had the same autobox the rest of the world is getting. Maybe the 4cyl is getting a smaller, cheaper manual.
I think the third may be whatever A70 hinted at in another thread. From Tada's comments in that Road and Track article posted earlier today it does make more sense that in the markets that offer the 197hp and 255hp 2.0L turbo versions of the Supra, those models may not get a manual option because then they would cut too closely into the GT86's market appeal.

In fact, it just occurred to me that when Tada was quoted as saying "If the Supra had a manual transmission, there's nowhere for the 86 to go." he could have been very subtly hinting at the rumored redesign of the 86 and some improvements to address power criticisms of the current generation. A manual Supra four cylinder definitely could cut into its market in that case.

The I-6 turbo GR and GRMN models however... would seem to be very far away from the specs and price proposition of the GT86. At least most would agree it is.

corry29

Reaction score
Car(s)
ハチロク
Lol.

Manual MKV Supra = Turbo 86/BRZ
(Not in terms of performance)

On the other note/poll though

Would you guys prefer the MKV Supra with a Toyota developed turbo inline 6 but Auto only or a MKV Supra with the given B58 with Manual

I’m an Alchemist, but there must be an equivalent trade.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Subaru WRX
Would you guys prefer the MKV Supra with a Toyota developed turbo inline 6 but Auto only or a MKV Supra with the given B58 with Manual
Ooh I like this question. I'm a go with the B58 MT.

EDIT: I also want to see what's the most preferred.

Zillafullboost

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTR-R35
Lol.

Manual MKV Supra = Turbo 86/BRZ
(Not in terms of performance)

On the other note/poll though

I didn’t think I would like the autos, but being able to paddle shift and very quickly in my GTR satisfied my need for a manual transmission.

My choice would be a Toyota developed engine if it was let’s say the next “3JZ” with an 8 spd auto dual clutch.

Tallgeese

First Name
Tallgeese
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV when it comes with a third pedal
I registered on this forum just so I could gripe....

Why is it that Toyota cannot make a sports car without some type of asterisk?

86 - under-powered

RCF - monstrosity of a chassis, long geared transmission dulls the power

Supra - no manual​

To say that having a manual supra takes away from the 86 is just lazy. No offense to anyone who owns a 86 but when I think of that car, I think of some little boy who got his parents to buy him a $200 t-shirt that says "Supreme" on it. I'm sure that's not a sentiment shared but everyone but also, i'm sure that i'm not the only one who feels like that. Can someone it Toyota's marketing team please tell me the logic of patting yourselves on the back for offering a manual Corolla hatch and then calling it "sporty" but not offering one in your halo sports car? Why is it you can bring to market a TRD Camry and TRD Avalon (that no one even asked for) but not a manual Supra?

Toyota, if you only read one thing, let it be this:

Corolla, Camry, Avalon = not sporty so please stop forcing "sport trims" down our throats. The TRD name is so over-saturated that its not synonymous with the phrase "appearance package with no real, tangible performance mods unless you count "stiffer shocks" :crazy::crazy::crazy:)

Supra = sporty so just give us the damn manual; my checkbook is waiting​

john_galt

First Name
john
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra
what are the pros of manual these days? the fun factor?

Kleanish

Reaction score
Car(s)
98 C43 AMG

Manual for sure. For me, there is no question. I honestly could care less about the engine. Give more than 250 hp at least, but definitely want a great feeling car to drive and a great looking car before all else.

Advertisement

Advertisement