Featured Is a manual transmission in the cards for the new Supra?

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Supra93, Sep 19, 2018.

?

Only interested if it comes in manual?

1. Yes - must have manual

86.0%
  2. No - the auto is what I want

14.0%
  1. corry29

corry29 Active Member

Car(s):
    ハチロク
    Liked:
    If anything, we'll probably have to end up waiting for the refreshed/revised model of the a90 Supra to see the tradition 3 pedal manual transmission variant. So upon release, us here in the US will probably only have the automatragic option, along with other markets that is not Japan or RHD

Toyota will probably offer the transmission exclusively in Japan first to see how the sales go, and if it's successful, then they'll probably contemplate on bringing it to the US or other LHD markets.

That's my educated guess

MA617M, A70TTR and Modal170 like this.
  2. PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I’ll believe it when I see it. Sorry to sound like such a skeptic, but this isn’t the first time I’ve heard something promising from Toyota about the MKV only to be disappointed by a follow-up review.

We shall wait and see...

3. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    I like that line of thinking... Given Au pretty much get the Japan variants ;)

diss7 and Timmo598 like this.
  4. zakira

zakira Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    The Metro, Uber and Lyft :(
    Liked:
    I doubt they'll offer the MT in Japan at all. There's almost no market for it over there.

Jeff Lange likes this.
  5. mas921

mas921 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BK38!! Z33 and a CZ4A
    Liked:
    Programmer
    i think he was talking about 2 different things. MT and RHD. there is a PERIOD between both sentences

":....there is hardware ready. Right-hand drive? Yes, of course."

especially since this is an Aussie magazine

Supra93, Guff, Captain_Kirk and 4 others like this.
  6. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Tundra TRD Pro, ST205 GT4, JZA70 TT-R, Q50-RS
    Liked:
    ah, I guess that would make far more sense ^

SupraStew85 and mas921 like this.
  7. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    S....6....5....3 :bow:

8. cebesius

cebesius New Member

Car(s):
    AP1 S2000, NB Miata 5MT, GL Mazda6 6MT
    Liked:
    #23 Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    I wrote to the Toyota Customer Experience Center the other day to try to make a case for offering a manual transmission on the new Supra, and to be a point of data in their system. Here is the response I received (personal information redacted):

Dear [redacted],
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc.
    We appreciate your inquiry into the Toyota Supra.
    Toyota is developing a new Supra with a manual transmission. Please go to pressroom.toyota.com
    for further information.
    Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.
    Sincerely,

[redacted]
    Toyota Customer Experience Center​

This seems encouraging. Nevertheless, I can't help but seize on the word "developing", which seems to have been carefully chosen. Note that there is no statement about bringing such a car to market, when it might be available, where it might be available, etc.

I would love to get one of these, but only if I can get it with a manual transmission. In my view, it's a quintessential part of what makes driving a car fun. It should especially be an option in a sports car where fun should be a priority. I hope they follow through.

9. zakira

zakira Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Well the whole car is still being developed, so developing is the correct word. I think that's 100% that a manual will be offered.

Supra93 and VeniceKing like this.
  10. JP_Supra

JP_Supra Active Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    Supra MKV
    Liked:
    If they actually make the right choice and offer it on Day 1, i'm absolutely sold on it! @AnyoneWorkingForToyota

11. johnny_10196

johnny_10196 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    Ford
    Liked:
  12. diss7

diss7 Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    A4, GT86, 997, TE27
    Liked:
    This is all Chinese whispers at this point.

Assistant engineer with broken / no English, contradicting head engineer / company line.

Claims of multiple reports as if that’s evidence in itself.

A70TTR and upnsmoke like this.
  13. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    The ZF S6-53 is a 6-speed manual transmission that is rated to handle up to 391 lbf/ft of torque. This transmission has proven itself to be a VERY reliable and strong manual transmission. The ZF S6-53 transmission is used in many modern (heavy and torquey) BMW's (e9x, f13, e64, etc). This transmission is used in many swaps because of its reliability above 1000whp. It's the most stout manual transmission produced by ZF. It's much stronger than the Getrag 420g that was in the E46 M3 6spd...and those are strong transmissions. The Getrag V160 in the MKIV Supra is rated to handle up to 361 ft/lbs of torque....however, we all know that it is capable of handling almost three times that load.

I'm thinking, since Getrag no longer makes any transmission worthy of being put in a high horsepower car anymore, and ZF seems to be the top choice for alot of car makers (not to mention the relationship they have now with the BMW and the MKV/Z4 project)....the ZF S6-53 6spd manual transmission may make it's way into the MKV. If so, that would be an AWESOME move by Toyota and would once again make the Supra an attractive buy for hardcore tuners.

KahnBB6, Viselord, A70TTR and 5 others like this.
  14. upnsmoke

upnsmoke Well-Known Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    Toyota MR2 GT, Nismo 370Z , Subaru Liberty Outback
    Liked:
    earliest they would or could introduce a manual is facelift, assuming they have an approved but shelved manual ready to go.

But I have my doubts, Japan's market is drawn to automatics these days, the "racing" versions of cars are kept manual usually, the four cylinder sporty cars are also left manuals but 6 cylinder and above, basically "medium" to large cars tend to be automatic, its highly dependent on the market... young buyers vs mature buyers, one cater for more luxurious cars the other more "fun" cars, somewhere in the middle is the compromise but those people tend to end up not minding the drive train in the end as long as it performs.

A70TTR likes this.
  15. zakira

zakira Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Well I knew it was over when in that interview between Tada and Inada Daijiro took place. Daijiro is the life long king of the tuning scene as we all know, and he was telling Tada that a manual isn't needed for the A90, that it's primitive. The only reason you would want it is so that your hand has something to do. lol

A70TTR and solidsamir like this.