Advertisement

Featured Is a manual transmission in the cards for the new Supra?

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Supra93, Sep 19, 2018.

?

Only interested if it comes in manual?

1. Yes - must have manual

66.3%
  2. No - the auto is what I want

33.7%
  1. KahnBB6

KahnBB6 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
    Liked:
    For this particular model, given what it is as a sports car and the demand for a manual already, it makes zero sense NOT to offer a manual until the Supra MKV needs to go hybrid for all but the niche trim levels (GRMN, etc) in later model years.

Jeff, your idea of pulling the code/parameters from a manual GRMN ECU is probably the only second best way to convert the early GR 6 cylinder cars to manual without having any electronic, sensor or emission test issues (for most states that have testing that is).

Toyota really needs to put a manual into volume production though, not just on the GRMN. It is a limited window anyway and this is their halo sports car, not a Camry or even a Corolla hatch (which offers a NEW manual for 2019...).

I can only understand their logic in being cryptic and stringing everyone along with the manual question if it is part of their plan TO rile people up who really want a manual version... and get them to be both vocal and vote with their wallets.

Though I am a bit confused as to how more people buying the auto-only Supra is going to do anything more than confirm to Toyota corporate that people wholeheartedly accept there being no manual available.

Do dealers note to the corporate offices every time they lose a potential sale on a Supra after a customer refuses to put a deposit down on a no-test-drives limited availability model because they made it abundantly clear that they refuse to buy or even put down their deposit unless there is a manual version available on the lot or to order?

Toyota keeps saying "we will sell a manual Supra if the demand is there". Okay... so for the actual customers who CAN buy this car, how is this demand gauged when the diehards will see that manuals are getting scarce as of 2019 and they would be more inclined to shrug and buy one *now* from Porsche, BMW, Ford, Chevy, etc.?

I hope they make the right decision. At the very least, Jeff, I hope the GRMN will have a stick so that we can pull its unique programming and cut and paste that into the automatic ECUs of regular GR Supras.

That still won't allow such conversions to be legal in CA unfortunately no matter how functionally correct they are but for everyone else it would hypothetically be a good second best solution.

Unless Toyota does add a manual to the GR option list, for CA customers who want a manual Supra it still seems like the only sure-fire options will be the very limited and expensive GRMN manual... or extremely risky and shady out of state registration for their manual-swapped MKVs.

2. AsupramkvC

AsupramkvC Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gerich
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    #302 Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Sounds quite interesting. It’s definitely a possibility. I think the 3 transmissions would be the current 8-speed Auto, a DCT, and a 6-speed manual transmission.

If the manual makes its way, hope it’ll make it to the 3.0-liter inline-6 version.

3. AsupramkvC

First Name:
    Gerich
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    #303 Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Remember...Akio Toyoda said at Detroit that good things come to those who wait. So you already know what he meant by that statement.

supraboi and XtremeMaC like this.
  4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
  5. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Car(s):
    5G 4Runner, MK7 Golf, AZW LE Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I don’t know, people can talk the talk but will they walk the walk? I doubt the majority of them saying that would have considered the Supra in the first place.

XtremeMaC likes this.
  6. AsupramkvC

First Name:
    Gerich
    Car(s):
    Liked:
  7. RTP

RTP New Member

Car(s):
    2015 FR-S
    Liked:
    I'll comment on this since I am one of the people in that boat.

I am the owner of 2015 FR-S, had always planned on upgrading after 4 years, and the new Supra was certainly something I had my eye on. The boat sank on two accounts. The first was cost - 70k CAD is out of my budget. Second was MT, which was a must for me. I'm picking up a '19 Camaro SS w/track package (and of course, manual) next weekend.

I'll say this on the whole situation. After hearing 4 years of whining about giving the twins more power, I don't want to hear any complaining about the cost. Every time a manufacturer gives a people what they want (86 was the affordable, light, RWD sports car everyone wanted) they find something else to whine about. Now the Supra is here with more power, and the components and price to go along with it - don't complain about the cost.

Where I do think the mistake was made is on the transmission. You're not going to sell a lot of 70k Toyota's, you just aren't and that's ok - this is a halo car, a brand ambassador. It therefore should embody the message you are sending your audience, and you're not doing that with a sole ZF auto transmission offering. This isn't a TT RS.

8. A-I

A-I Member

Car(s):
    Supra MkIV TT 6-speed (sold), EVO6 RSII (sold), Audi S4 (current)
    Liked:
    Been in many a discussion with people over the manual option and it seems the default position is that car enthusiasts are not the ones whom manufacturers listen to when they design new models.
    Manufacturers focus only on what will sell on the forecourts.

And it seems in the modern day the type of people who go out and buy brand new sports/GT cars are not car enthusiasts, the majority of them are car flippers, youtube fashion "look at me" types, and lease companies. So in their worlds its all about the 0-60 bragging figures and how one car stacks up against another - not to mention the draw of a limited production model that will gain collectible status that flippers will sell to buyers with no interest in driving and every interest in viewing the car simply as an asset.

Its a shame really, because the expectations for the MkV were set very high, given the drip feeding hype that Toyota leaked out over the years. They made it appear as if the MkV was for the enthusiast, but it seems the their financial department stepped in to focus only on sales figures.
    This is not only seen with the omission of the manual gearbox but also on the very toned down 'hairdresser' looks of the production model in comparison to the FT-01.

The MkV will never likely become an evolution of the MkIV, because they've completely changed the platform, from a Sports GT to what they are calling a "pure sports car". But to at least allow it to become an enthusiast's car they need to offer a 6-speed manual.

Turbro likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Supra93

Supra93 Moderator

First Name:
    Tommy
    Car(s):
    Supra & RX7
    Liked:
    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/revealed-future-new-toyota-supra#5

KahnBB6, XtremeMaC, Psychodo and 5 others like this.
  10. shrapnel

shrapnel Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    VW Golf 7
    Liked:
    I asked Toyota Germany if its a good idea to wait for a manual...
    Their answer:
    There are no Plans for a manual in the next two years, whats After that they can‘t Tell.
    attached you find their answer in german.
    That is so sad

5749BB37-BB2F-4428-8132-823481D79E10.jpeg

supraboi and johnny_10196 like this.
  11. jm6k

jm6k Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    cars
    Liked:
    While probably true (if a manual is in the works, it's at least a year away), they want to sell you a car today, not tell you to wait for a manual.

12. AsupramkvC

First Name:
    Gerich
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    There should be a manual in 3.0-liter inline-6 guise. This is intangible.

13. zigzagz94

zigzagz94 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BRZ, 3g Eclipse
    Liked:
  14. AsupramkvC

First Name:
    Gerich
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Toyota said that the Supra is a car for the driver, which means there should be driver involvement all over. Yes, there’s driver involvement with an automatic; but definitely not as pure as to how a manual car offers.

KahnBB6 likes this.
  15. rtoadyt

rtoadyt Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Reto
    Car(s):
    None
    Liked:
    I remember once toyota had that concept car that has gears to row on with, like actual stick shift but no clutch pedal. What do you all think of that? What if they offered that in the a90?