Featured Is a manual transmission in the cards for the new Supra?

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Supra93, Sep 19, 2018.

?

Only interested if it comes in manual?

1. Yes - must have manual

79.5%
  2. No - the auto is what I want

20.5%
  1. JP_Supra

JP_Supra Active Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    Supra MKV
    Liked:
    Honestly if they try to play that game of pushing an automatic supra onto people, i'll just buy it, blow up the motor and then swap in a 2J/6spd.:dunno:

2. stevesnj

stevesnj Active Member

Car(s):
    GT86
    Liked:
    I'd rather have the auto. I've enjoyed manual trans for a long time. The auto in manual mode will outperform a standard manual. It shifts faster than any manual.

tisdrew, A70TTR, Jabba and 2 others like this.
  3. Mike Myers

Mike Myers Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
    Liked:
    That’s absolutely right. And the 8-Speed ZF is (one of) the best automatic transmissions in the world. A real masterpiece of engineering. Wanna switch manually? Just push the shifter to the left and have fun!

A70TTR and stevesnj like this.
  4. PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    It’s not about how fast the auto shifts compared to a manual....its about the driving pleasure and (for guys like myself who tinker with their cars) the longevity and load capabilities when modified. Unless going DCT, a true automatic transmission generally doesn’t have the load capacity that a manual does....the newer transmissions might be better, but still generally speaking a manual transmission is always built beefier because there is the human error factor engineers always take into consideration. With auto’s they know the hydraulic line pressures and computers take over and prevent human errors from grenading the trans. Back in the MKIV days, the 6spd trans vs. the auto trans on the TT’s was like day and night in terms of strength and reliability. People never noticed this until the cars started getting modified. Same with my Z32, the 5spd manual can handle 3 times the oem power compared to the auto. This is usually the case across the board in the auto industry.

I agree, stock for stock the manual Supra would lose to the auto, but let’s be real here....how many MKV Supra buyers will be purchasing one to leave stock???

dawsonj87, Viselord, KahnBB6 and 4 others like this.
  5. Mike Myers

Mike Myers Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
    Liked:
    Those guys HERE will not leave the Supra stock, but over all most customers will only change alloys or so, not the engine or transmission.

hanswurst24 and stevesnj like this.
  6. stevesnj

stevesnj Active Member

Car(s):
    GT86
    Liked:
    I'd do only basic mods if(when) I'd get a Supra. The engineers give the buyer a great canvas to work with but the canvas [as is] is still a quality product off the factory floor.

7. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    That’s what I mean, the guys who will heavily mod their car don’t need to worry about how quickly to shift....their power output will pull their cars away quickly in any gear. Stock for stock, the human factor (shift time) is key and a computer will almost always shift faster....but, for the modified folks shift time is not as important as strength and durability of their transmissions.

8. bogglo

bogglo Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Lexus GS
    Liked:
    At the end of the day it all comes down to the direction the world is moving in. Just like everything technology, world is moving towards less work more efficiency. It all comes down to who is willing to hold out the longest. Just like toyota is still sticking to NA engine while other have moved on (GSF, RCF, LC).

If Toyota give us the setup in the GR HV Sport concept, will that be manageable by the manual lovers?

hanswurst24 and A70TTR like this.
  9. LEG1T

LEG1T Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    91' Nsx
    Liked:
    Automatic people arguing why they like auto and why manual lovers should just be happy with an automatic. Is like vegans telling me why I should only eat veggies because its proven to be better for me.

Just cause you guys love it, doesn't mean we should.

Let us be.

Guff, rtoadyt, mas921 and 9 others like this.
  10. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #40 Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Yeah, no one will ever convince me the driving pleasure of an automatic is greater or better than that of a manual....no one. I have come to accept DCT’s and modern auto’s....heck even my favorite super car (GTR) is a DCT. However, I know that for the hardcore enthusiasts, a manual is key in building a fast car. Even the high HP GTR’s, EVO’s, etc... with DCT’s need to have their gearsets and transmission internals upgraded to handle the loads. Not very common on manual cars.

You know what they say, “if you ain’t got a stick, you ain’t got a d**k!” :p....relax everyone, that was a joke.

SPMS, Viselord, LEG1T and 2 others like this.
  11. zedsix

zedsix Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Somecar
    Liked:
    haha that's a bit over dramatizing the entire situation, but hey - I agree with you. Most new gen kids are learning to drive automatic - it's not like back in the day where parents would teach their kids how to drive a manual car since they'll have some old shit box laying around with a manual gearbox. So kids grow up now with the knowledge now of how to drive an automatic and there's now a larger market for automatics than manual.

I was one of those kids that drove manual, was heavily into the car scene. I am a bit older now and purely for the pleasure if I were to buy another sports car to thrash it would be a manual, purely for the experience it gives me. For a daily car I would hands down drive an automatic purely because where I live there's road congestion almost 8 hours a day and driving a manual in those sort of conditions becomes a bit of a drainer.

This is a sports car and it seems to be aimed towards performance, driver excitement and fun - it needs a manual. I am looking forward to Toyota releasing a manual version.

Jabba, Viselord, KahnBB6 and 3 others like this.
  12. BRX

BRX Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Abdulla
    Car(s):
    Tundra, Celica, GT86
    Liked:
    This.

I daily drove my 86 and once you start modding it the manual becomes a chore. Adding a turbo and 100hp to that car made the stock clutch slip and once you go aftermarket with your clutch it's never the same again. You have to break it in, adjust the pedal, deal with the crickets and rattling noises, harsher engagement, etc. The ZF manual transmission is definitely a beast of a transmission (Can't be compared to the J160), but a clutch will wear out eventually once you start making power.

Not to mention 90% of the people I know don't know how to drive a stick, making it almost impossible to rely on others to move the car in certain situations like when you're not home.

If the MKV had both options I would be really torn between the two, but as I said before I would most likely get the auto anyway unless it was extremely inferior to the manual. Toyota just made my choice easier.

diss7, hanswurst24 and A70TTR like this.
  13. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #43 Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    I assume you mean the Getrag V160?? If so, there are a number of manual transmissions (factory oem, not modified) that can handle the same if not more power than a V160.

We all love the MKIV's no doubt....however, I think alot of the gear the MKIV had may be "glorified" because of the internet and such. One perfect example is the V160 transmission. Although a fantastic piece of hardware, and has proven itself to be very durable and reliable...I can't agree that the new--er ZF manuals are not as good if not better. The ZF manuals (not all) are awesome transmissions....I am actually in the process of trying to source a ZF S6-xx 6spd transmission for my 2JZX project. There are tons of ZF swapped drag cars, race cars, drift cars, etc... that have had nothing but success with them. The only difference is not many people see these swaps or know of them. I personally know a handful of people who have done ZF swaps with 2JZ's, LS's, and RB's, all of which have zero videos or posts online about their experiences with those transmissions. However, all of them still run their cars to this day with absolutely ZERO issues and with power figures near or exceeding 1000hp. I think if more and more of those folks posted their swaps or experiences online, you would be hearing a different tone in the MKIV community....I mean, we are already seeing it now with the CD009 right? Again, not all ZF manuals are equal, just like not all Getrag's are equal. If....again ill say 'IF'....Toyota puts a beefy model ZF manual transmission in the MKV Supra, it will only be a matter of time until the internet glorifies that transmission and 'dethrones' the Getrag V160 from it's king seat. I love the V160/161....a great transmission no doubt. However, manual transmissions have come a long way since then, and the "stick" is still alive and well in many high performance cars....easily capable of over 1000whp without breaking a sweat.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post...I just wanted to throw that out there for everyone. Hopefully, we see a badass setup with the MKV....and not a W58 version 2.

***Correction*** The C4 ZR-1's factory manual transmission was a ZF.

SupraStew85 likes this.
  14. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Tundra TRD Pro, ST205 GT4, JZA70 TT-R, Q50-RS
    Liked:
  15. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles: