Featured Is a manual transmission in the cards for the new Supra?

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Supra93, Sep 19, 2018.

?

Only interested if it comes in manual?

1. Yes - must have manual

86.0%
  2. No - the auto is what I want

14.0%
  1. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Tundra TRD Pro, ST205 GT4, JZA70 TT-R, Q50-RS
    Liked:
    #61 Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    I'm guessing it ends up being the 8HP50; the outgoing Z4 had the 8HP45 and the 50 series is the 2nd gen replacement afaik

2. PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #62 Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    I thought it was a good analogy though no?...lol.

I do agree with the video that every gear shift in a manual is unique....and has it's own "character." This is so true....and I even have gears that I love and hate on my own car....lmao.

SupraStew85, Mike Myers and LEG1T like this.
  3. BRX

BRX Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Abdulla
    Car(s):
    Tundra, Celica, GT86
    Liked:
    Everybody hates 1st gear, all that trauma from learning to drive stick causes PTSD. Not to mention launching with multiple disk clutches :puke:

4. bogglo

bogglo Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Lexus GS
    Liked:
    +1

I Slow down before I hit traffic with the hope that it will move before I come to a complete stop just to avoid going to gear 1. fun times.

5. Mike Myers

Mike Myers Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
    Liked:
    I’m doing the same with my AT just to save energy ;)
    But of course, you guys are absolutely right!

6. Jdmuscle

Jdmuscle Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Yogi
    Car(s):
    94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I guess you haven’t driven a manual or one with multiple disks... I have three cars at the moment with multiple disk clutches and they are typically easier to launch if not the same as the stock clutch.

Jeff Lange likes this.
  7. mkivalex

mkivalex Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
    Liked:
    Anyone that actually knows how to drive standard does not worry about driving in first gear lol.

vb22, tisdrew, tarpatel and 6 others like this.
  8. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    For me it's not so much take off....but the short time in first gear. Has alot to do with my rear ends ratio more than anything. I can stay in 1st longer, but the whine and feel of the transmission with the upshift to second is garbage. 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th is where I usually am most of the time and the shifts are swiss watch smooth.

Everyone's experience is different I am sure....but that's the beauty of manual transmissions, they have their own characteristics in every gear.

9. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    The first gear in my A70 is awful.. the R154 with 3.91 rear end is a great combo, but 1st gear is so short that it's obnoxious. The 3.73 rear ends help, but then you have even longer gears for everything else.

Used to hop into my buddy's R33 GTR, and his 1st gear was soooo much better.

KahnBB6 and PerformanceSound like this.
  10. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Yup! Especially for high HP cars, the lower gear ratio is key and better driveability in each gear. For NA cars or lower HP cars, the higher gear ratio makes the car feel quicker, but your in and out of gears alot....at least on my setup. I got Z33 rear diff conversion mounts to get a lower ratio rear-end (350/370 Z) when I go with a different trans. My goal will be to get in the same gear ratio range as the MKIV Supra's setup...good acceleration from the high HP, but great top speed and longer time in each gear. We'll see how that works out...:D

Have you considered going with a Ford IRS rear end for your A70? They are super strong, and come in a plethora of different ratios to dial in. I was considering this, however, the R200 series of rear ends from Nissan are like Lego's....you can bolt them up into anything from a Datsun to an Infiniti and come in various ratios.

A70TTR likes this.
  11. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    If I was going to swap rear ends to something stronger, it would like be the Ford 8.8 or something as stout as you mentioned.

Thankfully, even A70 rear ends are pretty damn tough. It's the R154 that's the weak link eventually, but what I was getting at is that the stock ratios with 3.91 allow you a great balance between tq and time in gear, but Aisin used a super short first gear because it was a truck transmission.

OS Giken actually used to make a gearset 1-3 that fixed that and made the ratios more linear to each other, while also ensuring they could take far more tq. A stock R154 in good condition will typically sheer the teeth off third gear and exhibit slight case flex at ~600wtq. Some can make them last a lot longer by pedaling into power or not doing hard launches, but thankfully my car only makes 450wtq (1J positive point? lol).

PerformanceSound and jm6k like this.
  12. BRX

BRX Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Abdulla
    Car(s):
    Tundra, Celica, GT86
    Liked:
    My V8 swapped 86 is using the stock transmission with a twin disk FX725. It is considerably worse getting it moving from a stop than the previous organic clutch I had. 1st gear is practically useless even with a taller 3.73 rear end. At least it holds the power. I have daily driven that thing for almost 1 year and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Can't wait to throw that transmission out for a T56.

PerformanceSound likes this.
  13. PerformanceSound

Car(s):
    Subaru STI
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    The T56 Magnum has become the choice transmission nowadays, good move. Although pricier than other options, it is uber strong.

BRX likes this.
  14. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    85mm CD (Like G50 and V160) and 30mm FW gears. They're a good thing, except for the double overdrive.

A70TTR and PerformanceSound like this.
  15. Mike Myers

Mike Myers Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
    Liked:
    There was an interview with BMWs Z4 product managers and the most important news seems to be this one:

“The [sDrive]30i and [M]40i will only come with a sport automatic,” said Ederer. “The 20i will come with a manual gearbox as standard”. If you’re in Europe, don’t expect the manual until 2019, though.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/14/interview-we-talk-bmw-z4-with-its-product-managers/

There’s no need that Toyota goes the same way, but my guess is: If there ever will be a manual, it will only be available for the Supra 20i.