Is a manual transmission in the cards for the new Supra?

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters

PerformanceSound

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 2019 Subaru STI, 1972 FJ40 LandCrusier
Vehicle Showcase
images.jpg

:bow:

I am sure a leak will be up in the near future....:D:rolleyes:

Advertisement

93Siro

First Name
Sina
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4
images.jpg

:bow:

I am sure a leak will be up in the near future....:D:rolleyes:
These transmissions are not the best shifting transmissions but they are very strong. It's quite popular in Europe drift scene to bolt 2JZ/LS engines to the diesel ZF manual trans. I have a turbo 325i E30 and i bolted the GS6 to it and it's even on stock clutch at around 500whp. The N54 guys have many problems with their cars but manual transmission failing isn't one of them.

https://www.bimmerboost.com/content.php?8541-VTT-GC-s-make-902WTQ-830WHP

PerformanceSound

Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
These transmissions are not the best shifting transmissions but they are very strong. It's quite popular in Europe drift scene to bolt 2JZ/LS engines to the diesel ZF manual trans. I have a turbo 325i E30 and i bolted the GS6 to it and it's even on stock clutch at around 500whp. The N54 guys have many problems with their cars but manual transmission failing isn't one of them.

https://www.bimmerboost.com/content.php?8541-VTT-GC-s-make-902WTQ-830WHP
Yep...

Now remember, Tada did say that one of the biggest factors was transmission feel. I am sure there will be some sacrificing of "refinement" for strength and durability. I mean, that's exactly the case with the V160 right?...notchy and noisy, but strong asf! :D

KahnBB6

Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
I’m fine with notchy and slightly noisy if it’s at the level of a V160 or Tremec Magnum.

I wouldn't even particularly mind the equivalent *feel* of an Aisin AR-5 or R154 Tripod if that’s all they could muster but I think *any* modern manual transmission for cars is way beyond any of the feel and limitations inherent in those.

As long as it’s equivalent to or smoother than the shifter and pedal feel of a V160 I don’t see any problem.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Yep...

Now remember, Tada did say that one of the biggest factors was transmission feel. I am sure there will be some sacrificing of "refinement" for strength and durability. I mean, that's exactly the case with the V160 right?...notchy and noisy, but strong asf! :D
I can see the "refinement" going into the ZF8 Supras

PerformanceSound

Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can see the "refinement" going into the ZF8 Supras
Exactly! If someone wants a smooth shifting (still fast) MKV Supra, the ZF HP8 will more than handle the job.

A70TTR

Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
They will likely base it on a production manual, but like the 86 they will essentially create a 'new' trans based on feel that suits Tada's preferences.

F1 Silver Arrows

Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Wasn't the manual transmission from the FRS/86/GT86/BRZ a Toyota transmission? I know for a fact the automatic was a Toyota transmission. I just find it funny that the automatic was before used in big, luxurious cars in the mid 2000's and then slapped that same transmission in a 2012 car.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Wasn't the manual transmission from the FRS/86/GT86/BRZ a Toyota transmission? I know for a fact the automatic was a Toyota transmission. I just find it funny that the automatic was before used in big, luxurious cars in the mid 2000's and then slapped that same transmission in a 2012 car.
Yes, the trans and diff were from the Altezza

MA617M

Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Both the auto and manual are an Aisin box :)

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
They will likely base it on a production manual, but like the 86 they will essentially create a 'new' trans based on feel that suits Tada's preferences.
Similar to the GRMN Mark X which used a reworked version of the RA62/63 from the IS250/200d/220d.

The automatic and manual transmissions are both supplied by Aisin, and are from the same families as transmissions provided to Toyota for the Altezza (AZ6 manual, also used by Nissan and Mazda) and IS250 (automatic). While Aisin is a part of the Toyota group of companies, and they were used in Toyotas as well - and were clearly used because of the Toyota part of the partnership, Subaru is the one sourcing them and as such they are stamped with Subaru on the casing.

The differential is an actual Toyota unit, manufactured by Toyota. It uses the LSD from the IS300 and the case and ring & pinion from the IS250 AWD (newer models use a 4.3:1 gearset).

This brings up an interesting point, clearly Subaru is the OE for the transmissions in the BRZ/FR-S/86. They are supplied to Subaru by Aisin, but based on earlier designs that Aisin developed for and with Toyota and are also sold to other OE's. Just because a part says Subaru on it means that it's a Subaru part, or a Toyota part. There is a lot that goes into engineering something, and of course there will be a familiar design language used, etc., but a Toyota engineer can easily spec a part from the BMW parts bin; alternatively, Toyota could work with a manufacturer on a design and it could say BMW on it. The Supra has a ton of BMW parts bin stuff on it, and stuff BMW developed for the Z4 and other cars, but unless a part was used by BMW for a good amount of time before the Z4/Supra project got rolling, it's impossible to know what came from where. A lot of people will point at various parts labels on the car as meaning it is or isn't a Toyota because of situations like this.

Arguments will go on about this for years, so buckle up.

Jeff

smokie

First Name
J
Reaction score
Car(s)
05 Evo RS
Ok, so official release day, everything that has been leaked is confirmed. But No info on the manual?

Is this something that has been covered, but I haven't read it?
Is the 4cylinder coming to the US?

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
No manual at this point.

Jeff

Advertisement

Advertisement