👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46, E39
Are you talking to me? If so, who am I bashing or criticizing exactly? Bunch of internet turds who crap on the Supra any chance they get? Why, are you one of them?
All I said was if it was financially viable for Toyota, they'd have put a manual option in the thing :dunno:
Maybe I got you wrong but I just joined this community 2 days ago and all your replies in this post are either praising the auto or some expletives about what you picture the manual buyers to be :dunno:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Maybe I got you wrong but I just joined this community 2 days ago and all your replies in this post are either praising the auto or some expletives about what you picture the manual buyers to be :dunno:
I'm not praising it, I'm saying performance wise, these days, the auto is better. Which is a fact. A manual just can't keep up.
Not just manual buyers. All the trolls all over Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, car forums, etc. "If the Supra had this or that I'd buy one", a manual, a Toyota engine, pick your poison. Meanwhile they couldn't qualify for a BRZ, let alone a Supra because they still have 83 payments left to make on their 600 dollar TV.

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
I would have been a 2020 owner had they offered a manual from the start. I come 20+ years of autocrossing and tracking manual cars. So I am definitely a pro-manual guy. With that said, the ZF auto on this thing is pretty damn good. So good, that I realized it wouldn't be a hinderance when having fun on the autocross course or track. Once I came to that realization, I decided to get the 2021.

muckduck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 95 Supra TT, 2008 T4R
Said this before in other threads, but probably worth it again.

I was a manual purist for a while and held off buying a Supra because of the Auto. Had MANY manual cars - 350z, MK4 Supra, M3s, 1m Coupes, 981 GTS, 987.2 Cs, 993 911, s2000, ND2 etc.

I seriously cross shopped this with an M2C 6 speed because it had the manual. I gotta admit, these new modern 6 speeds are not as fun as they used to be. Cars are:

1) Too fast and boosted - so there is a different rush with an auto/dct now than a 6 speed that you used to not get. The auto is really nice for these faster, turbo cars.

2) 6 speeds are a bit numb now - auto rev matching that you cant turn off, rubbery shifters etc all make shifting a 6 speed only marginally more involving...you press a third pedal and move a stick thingy around. I made a joke that it would be funny if an OEM made a 6 speed that is all electronic - so you aren't even manually operating a clutch, your pedal just switches a switch to engage/disengate like my iRacing setup =)

I feel now the manuals are best for NA and slower/older cars where it is really more involving and where you make excuses to shift. My GTS was so frustrating because I wanted to rev it out and I couldn't unless I was going jail speeds. It begs to be driven on the track and I don't go as often as I would like. I think the most fun manual modern cars ive driven/owned are actually the ND2 MX5 and the BRZ (is that "modern" anymore =)

That being said, if Toyota released a manual supra, I'll go test it and see for myself. But the way I figured was it might take a year or more before they release it. Who knows if dealers will mark them up (my bet is yes) and I don't pay markups - so I am years away from potentially owning one. Figured buy one and enjoy so that IF it never happens, I didn't waste time =) But the Auto with its fairly short gearing makes it pretty fun compared to my 981 GTS that redlines at 80 mph in second...

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Hurr durr auto faster, auto race car. Echo chamber.
I love manual, Supra would be fun with one, kind of why I’ve been on the fence buying one. But after driving them I admit the auto is good.

Manual is a backroad driving pastime. It has its place. If they don’t offer one by the end of next year I’ll end up getting a 3.0 premium with the ZF anyways.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Said this before in other threads, but probably worth it again.

I was a manual purist for a while and held off buying a Supra because of the Auto. Had MANY manual cars - 350z, MK4 Supra, M3s, 1m Coupes, 981 GTS, 987.2 Cs, 993 911, s2000, ND2 etc.

I seriously cross shopped this with an M2C 6 speed because it had the manual. I gotta admit, these new modern 6 speeds are not as fun as they used to be. Cars are:

1) Too fast and boosted - so there is a different rush with an auto/dct now than a 6 speed that you used to not get. The auto is really nice for these faster, turbo cars.

2) 6 speeds are a bit numb now - auto rev matching that you cant turn off, rubbery shifters etc all make shifting a 6 speed only marginally more involving...you press a third pedal and move a stick thingy around. I made a joke that it would be funny if an OEM made a 6 speed that is all electronic - so you aren't even manually operating a clutch, your pedal just switches a switch to engage/disengate like my iRacing setup =)

I feel now the manuals are best for NA and slower/older cars where it is really more involving and where you make excuses to shift. My GTS was so frustrating because I wanted to rev it out and I couldn't unless I was going jail speeds. It begs to be driven on the track and I don't go as often as I would like. I think the most fun manual modern cars ive driven/owned are actually the ND2 MX5 and the BRZ (is that "modern" anymore =)

That being said, if Toyota released a manual supra, I'll go test it and see for myself. But the way I figured was it might take a year or more before they release it. Who knows if dealers will mark them up (my bet is yes) and I don't pay markups - so I am years away from potentially owning one. Figured buy one and enjoy so that IF it never happens, I didn't waste time =) But the Auto with its fairly short gearing makes it pretty fun compared to my 981 GTS that redlines at 80 mph in second...
Exactly 100% this. Perfectly worded. And awesome car list.
Honestly the best feeling manual transmission I've owned was in my STI. It's rod driven rather than sloppy cables (which the regular WRX has) and it was like sliding a bolt action rifle. That car was fun to shift. But most of them are numb. My RX-8 R3 had a Miata/MX-5 transmission and that was pretty good too.
The way these cars get those super low 0-60 times are super low gearing and just throwing a ton of gears in there. 8,9,10 speeds even. That's how the C8 gets it's sub 3 second time. With a regular 6/7 speed manual it wouldn't even come close.
A lot of it is marketing. Porsche goes mid 2 seconds with their turbo S, how can a competing company like McLaren go "we go mid 4 seconds with a manual" they can't. So they all go auto/DCT.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Was just getting ready to post this. My favorite automotive YouTuber.

I've been a manual purist with sports cars for a very long time, but what I realized in recent years is that it isn't always better. If the trans feels numb it doesn't add as much to the experience.

My current car is a manual MK7.5 Golf R. I decided on the manual because a) it was the only option still available on lots for a new one b) I thought keeping the revs higher to avoid crazy turbo lag would feel more natural with a manual c) I wanted a more engaging experience

Point C has definitely been a let down. The Golf manual is so numb, and the car is so quiet most of the time that it makes manual shifting more of an annoyance than anything. Driving around town in comfort mode I have to keep a constant eye on the tac and speed just to know when to shift, because there's no feedback from either the shifter or engine noise (lack of). This has been a far cry from the manuals I enjoyed so much in the NB/NC/ND Miata, and S2000.

I haven't driven a BMW with a manual (just DCT), but I've heard similar complaints to the VW trans. If that's the transmission that would end up in the Supra I'd honestly rather they just skip it.

Last edited:

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
The ZF transmission is what makes the driving experience with the GR Supra so fun. Once you hear the quick snorts from the exhaust as it short shifts you will forget about the manual. ?

-RJM

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Was just getting ready to post this. My favorite automotive YouTuber.

I've been a manual purist with sports cars for a very long time, but what I realized in recent years is that it isn't always better. If the trans feels numb it doesn't add as much to the experience.

My current car is a manual MK7.5 Golf R. I decided on the manual because a) it was the only option still available on lots for a new one b) I thought keeping the revs higher to avoid crazy turbo lag would feel more natural with a manual c) I wanted a more engaging experience

Point C has definitely been a let down. The Golf manual is so numb, and the car is so quiet most of the time that it makes manual shifting more of an announce than anything. Driving around town in comfort mode I have to keep a constant eye on the tac and speed just to know when to shift, because there's no feedback from either the shifter or engine noise (lack of). This has been a far cry from the manuals I enjoyed so much in the NB/NC/ND Miata, and S2000.

I haven't driven a BMW with a manual (just DCT), but I've heard similar complaints to the VW trans. If that's the transmission that would end up in the Supra I'd honestly rather they just skip it.
I had the DSG in my mk7 GTI. It was excellent. Loved that car.

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
But in both videos he also complained about the Supra not having a manual.

I’ve actually talked to Mark (SavageGeese) on a couple occasions. Really nice guy and a true enthusiast.

I also asked him why he thought the Supra needed a manual before and he pretty much said the car is great as a whole but he personally wished it had more character similar to Lexus products. He used a scale where the LC500 is the most “refined” Toyota GT where the RCF is the one with the most quirks. (Transmission shifts fast at speed and etc.) He was saying that a manual in a Supra would give it personality to differentiate it more.

And he did say you can tell it had more personality then any other BMW (the Toyota dna in it) but because it still shares a platform there’s still some numbness.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.