šŸ‘£ Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-I

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkIV TT 6-speed (sold), EVO6 RSII (sold), Audi S4 (current)
yes and no.

we are forgetting that Toyota has focus groups that they invest millions into. Of the Supra was to come out with a manual, itā€™ll sit. Why ? Because NO ONE is going to want to buy a $55K sports car that will loose to a Hyundai Veloster. A manual transmission is slower than an automatic. This is not a topic of debate. If you want a manual, got buy a GT-86, it has a brilliant manual gearbox. The Supra is for the refined who canā€™t be bothered with rowing gears.

dude even the car illiterate give props to how fast the supra shifts.

the supra doesnā€™t need a manual, what it needs is a Targa Top and a better sound system. Things that will actually make it a better all around driving experience.

the transmission it has is one of the best in the world that shifts lightning fast. Shifting w/paddles on sport mode in the Supra gives off an awesome vibe. It feels refined, expensive and you loose no power !
I won't argue against the fact that Toyota will have produced the auto based up on market research rather than enthusiast's desires, because generally speaking most car enthusiasts are not people who buy cars brand new, this is a well known issue and one that unfortunately doesn't drive the market in to types/formats of cars that we as enthusiasts would wish to see.
This is why we see huge demand for the likes of manual gearbox cars in the 2nd hand market where the majority of enthusiasts compete for purchase.

Any way, what I would argue against is this focus on 'beating' other cars as being something important for manual gearbox drivers. Any car can be made to beat another by throwing in as much money as you want in to it. For me, and I presume many other manual gearbox drivers, what is important is the in-gear acceleration, the power delivery and a good solid feel from the manual box in order to provide the driver connection that many manual drivers want.

The terms of "rowing gears" and "throwing gears" to me sounds like comments from those that obviously don't like the effort of a manual box, fair enough, but a driving enthusiast comes in different flavours and many of us simply wouldn't buy an auto because that is not the experience we want.

The term "refined" also doesn't really mean anything to me when you describe a difference between an auto or manual box because again, the experience we want as manual drivers is to be in full control over the gears and the shifting, we can choose to be 'refined' about it or choose not to be, this gives an additional level of character, challenge and control to the car.
It also comes back to a point I mention a few times when discussing the ultimate gear change where the auto box is held as supreme, in that how often during the ownership of a car does the driver go 100% on trying to attain the perfect 0-60 time? Does it even mean anything if you manage to achieve the same time as the advertised value? I'm guessing not that often and not so important. What is important is the in-gear acceleration and whether that puts a smile on your face.

Even on track driving there is no need for 0-60 ultimate acceleration, unless you are competing. Its all about the in-gear acceleration and simply some of us want to have manual control over that via a clutch pedal.

Any way, I respect your choice (and others) with opting for an auto box, you sound like you are happy with it, but my reply here is to defend those of us who really want to see manuals continue as an option and not be forced out of a choice due to the overblown claims of a "climate crisis", emissions, "refinement", 0-60 times, "too fast for a manual", blah blah blah etc. etc. etc. The MkV Supra would suit a manual box, it wouldn't be "too fast" for it given that many other cars have built a great reputation on high bhp manual options, and there would be plenty of us out here who would relish the experience of "throwing/rowing" our own gears.
The thread poll result can't be that wrong surely ! 62% wanted a manual versus 38% who wanted the auto. ;)
Sponsored

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I'll repeat myself 100th time, manual should be an option along the 8ZF. Some ppl act like they would HAVE to buy one when its offered.
Ofc auto is objectively "better" and faster but that is not the point of chosing manual. Also I belive autos would sell much better anyway, like 9:1 like in M2's or 718's. But it would give people an option, they would not have to chose manual and most would not buy it but its there, as a choice. Premium brands do it perfectly where you can customize your car how you like. You can have a bucket carbon seats and a leather dashboard if you like. That is missing from Supra in my opinion. For example I would not take the heavy adjustable seats, I'd take basic audio and less safety features and max out on optional performance parts if there were any, just to make it lighter and more sporty, I would throw away everything that is not making it better to drive and making it heavier.
Also, the manual would generate more hype for the car, would help to silence some of the " OMG itsa BMW uga uga" idiots and all journalists/yt testers that moan for manual.
I know it will make them lose some money and BMW manuals are average comapred to some high ends like Porsche. But imo such niche car should have a dose of craziness and not every single decision should be cost-based.

So, give optional manual, give targa top option, allow more customization (like different interior colors instead of this "all black"). Than make a global hardcore GRMN with S58 and send it off.

kaiv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46, E39
I keep reading this line that "cars are too fast for manuals these days", and it makes no sense whatsoever.
A manual is driven as fast as the driver wishes it, it is not dictated to the driver by any other means.
Many cars in the past have been high-bhp manuals and they've developed a great reputation for being so. My old MkIV Supra was tuned to well over 400bhp and I drove numerous other MkIV's and other performance cars with well over 600bhp, all those manuals gearboxes suited those high-bhp levels, the driver simply chose to accelerate and change gear as fast or as slow as he/she wished.

The problem that has crept in with all these manual vs auto comparisons is that there seems to be an irrational focus on the 0-60 time.
The 0-60 time is a good bragging note for those that feel it is important to them, but for manual gearbox drivers this is not really going to be anything of concern as long as the in-gear acceleration is good enough.

I think Toyota will have lost many many MkV sales due to there not being a manual gearbox option. With competition from the likes of Nissan now giving manual buyers another option I fear that the MkV Supra will start to fade as just being another 'digital' offering for the i-phone generation. (No offence aimed at any of you guys, this is just my frustration with Toyota's bean counters venting out).
yes and no.

we are forgetting that Toyota has focus groups that they invest millions into. Of the Supra was to come out with a manual, itā€™ll sit. Why ? Because NO ONE is going to want to buy a $55K sports car that will loose to a Hyundai Veloster. A manual transmission is slower than an automatic. This is not a topic of debate. (...)

^ It's not up for debate -never was- and yet you guys keep bringing it up again and again.

I mean, the very post you quoted and responded to is literally explaining to you that this isn't much of a concern to the manual driver/buyer.

Maybe having the fastest 0-60 and what not is high on your priority list and that's just fine.

I find it incredible how some of you guys seem completely unable to wrap your head around the fact that this isn't the case for everyone.

Blaque Diamond Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV
Any way, what I would argue against is this focus on 'beating' other cars as being something important for manual gearbox drivers. Any car can be made to beat another by throwing in as much money as you want in to it. For me, and I presume many other manual gearbox drivers, what is important is the in-gear acceleration, the power delivery and a good solid feel from the manual box in order to provide the driver connection that many manual drivers want.

The terms of "rowing gears" and "throwing gears" to me sounds like comments from those that obviously don't like the effort of a manual box, fair enough, but a driving enthusiast comes in different flavours and many of us simply wouldn't buy an auto because that is not the experience we want.

The term "refined" also doesn't really mean anything to me when you describe a difference between an auto or manual box because again, the experience we want as manual drivers is to be in full control over the gears and the shifting, we can choose to be 'refined' about it or choose not to be, this gives an additional level of character, challenge and control to the car.
It also comes back to a point I mention a few times when discussing the ultimate gear change where the auto box is held as supreme, in that how often during the ownership of a car does the driver go 100% on trying to attain the perfect 0-60 time? Does it even mean anything if you manage to achieve the same time as the advertised value? I'm guessing not that often and not so important. What is important is the in-gear acceleration and whether that puts a smile on your face.

Even on track driving there is no need for 0-60 ultimate acceleration, unless you are competing. Its all about the in-gear acceleration and simply some of us want to have manual control over that via a clutch pedal.
There have to be a lot of factors that play into the question of who's faster.

By theory, the modern automatic gearbox eliminates all the "delays" from the stick shift ritual. But even in an ultimately perfect scenario, manual and automatic Supras will still have slight differences in weight, reaction time, etc.

Now in the real world, no driver will react and shift with robot precision every single day. Some have a heavy right foot, and others don't. Are we talking about a straight-up quarter mile or track times? What kind of upgrades does the car have?

The best we can do is speculate about these things. But again, it will always boil down to driver preference. I'd rather enjoy any car as it is from the factory first

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Iā€™m going out on a limb here, but Iā€™m pretty sure there will be no manual for 2022 and definitely not for 2021.

call me Mrs Cleo.

Wait, no, donā€™t call me Mrs Cleo now that I think about it.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Iā€™m going out on a limb here, but Iā€™m pretty sure there will be no manual for 2022 and definitely not for 2021.

call me Mrs Cleo.

Wait, no, donā€™t call me Mrs Cleo now that I think about it.
For the model years 2021 and 2022 no the Supra wonā€™t get a manual option.

For model years 2023-2026 weā€™ll see. Itā€™s very telling that the sole special edition Supra for the 2022 model year is a carbon fiber appearance and trim package thanks to covid slowing everything down over the last year.

Hereā€™s hoping MKV production isnā€™t cut down due to the microchip shortage.

Status
Not open for further replies.