👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
^ It's not up for debate -never was- and yet you guys keep bringing it up again and again.
yep......

Neither for or against a manual. Like other posts, I would rather see the targa than a manual. Be that as it may, all you need to look at is the fact that the new C8 does NOT come in a manual and it all came down to economics. They just didn't make money sense to GM. Most Corvette buyers are not looking to change their own gears (some call it the "old fart" syndrome) so when the C7 ended and manuals only made up a minor percentage, GM said no way for the C8.

Now talking about a Porsche GT3 selling more manuals, well that car is not produced at the level of the Supra or the C8 and although to some, the Supra is expensive, anyone who can afford a GT3 demands that it come in a manual or Porsche would not sell them. The Supra does not have that kind of leverage.......The economy according to Porsche is a total different ballgame than the one according to Toyota.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I hope there will never be a manual Supra ever. Autos are the way to go now!! I been spoiled by the zf……. ?
Cool! Enjoy the ZF8 in your Supra. You already have everything you want in this car already (maybe with the exception of an S58 engine?).

If Toyota does end up selling a manual Supra though no one will force you to buy one over an automatic edition.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Cool! Enjoy the ZF8 in your Supra. You already have everything you want in this car already (maybe with the exception of an S58 engine?).

If Toyota does end up selling a manual Supra though no one will force you to buy one over an automatic edition.

And you keep waiting for the fairytale manual for the Supra…. Lol

Reactions: max

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
And you keep waiting for the fairytale manual for the Supra…. Lol
lol. I’m just not interested in one of this generation unless it’s offered. If it isn’t ever offered by the end of MKV production then fine.

I fail to understand how my own interest in Toyota offering a manual transmission option for this sportscar harms your enjoyment of your own Supra MKV in any way.

I’m not attacking you for enjoying the ZF8 transmission.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
lol. I’m just not interested in one of this generation unless it’s offered. If it isn’t ever offered by the end of MKV production then fine.

I fail to understand how my own interest in Toyota offering a manual transmission option for this sportscar harms your enjoyment of your own Supra MKV in any way.

I’m not attacking you for enjoying the ZF8 transmission.
The guy is toxic, leave them alone. It ain't worth it.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, that's for sure. It's definitely not worth it. As if he thinks he's going to influence what I feel like buying. As I said, I'm not at all dogging on the ZF8 or anyone's enjoyment of it. It's a great transmission. I'm just not interested in it, myself.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I'll totally buy another one if it is released with a manual option... but as the poll is "Only interested..." I already answered NO by purchasing one as soon as it was available.

It's more than a little distressing the trend in current culture (in this case car culture - but it applies broadly as well) to return to a "one-size-fits-all" attitude. Not sure if it's a byproduct of social media, social programming, regulation bloat, or whatever... but I fear we're about to revisit our automotive origins of "you can have any color as long as it's black" soon.

Kinda weird at a time when "diversity" and "inclusion" are the buzzwords du jour - how everyone seems to even more readily condemn anyone that wants to follow a slightly different path to the same destination.

/rant ;)

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'll totally buy another one if it is released with a manual option... but as the poll is "Only interested..." I already answered NO by purchasing one as soon as it was available.

It's more than a little distressing the trend in current culture (in this case car culture - but it applies broadly as well) to return to a "one-size-fits-all" attitude. Not sure if it's a byproduct of social media, social programming, regulation bloat, or whatever... but I fear we're about to revisit our automotive origins of "you can have any color as long as it's black" soon.

Kinda weird at a time when "diversity" and "inclusion" are the buzzwords du jour - how everyone seems to even more readily condemn anyone that wants to follow a slightly different path to the same destination.

/rant ;)
^^ You've really hit the nail on the head with that. I don't understand the attitude either from a car culture standpoint. I like all kinds of cars new and old using many kinds of drivetrain designs. There is no one "right" car.

I understand why in general *manufacturers* are offering far less drivetrain and chassis options than in years' past other than exterior colors but occasionally there are some special models that give you some choices.

In the next few years by the end of the 2020's we are going to have even fewer diverse drivetrain options available than we do now and while there will always be special enthusiast models the trend will affect them as well. Primarily the larger long term shift to battery-electric or fuel cell electric drivetrains and vehicle chassis designs.

By then these arguments about fun manual transmissions being inferior to fast shifting automatics and DCTs will be irrelevant when most EVs will have single speed reduction gear axles or in some cases 2-speed fully automated gearboxes. 3-speed fully automatic gearboxes will probably be very rare. None of those will involve so much as paddle shifters when the rest of the vehicle electronics control them seamlessly.

Even so, people who love driving and enthusiast cars with special or weird options are going to adapt and find and modify (or build) what they want. There will always be people doing things out of whatever the norm of the day is.

No matter what future options are or aren't offered for the MKV generation Supra I feel the most important thing is to have fun with a car like this. Digicidal I hope your MKV always puts a smile on your face any time you drive it and the very same goes for Axix23. No matter what car and model trim type of that car you drive no matter what transmission you ordered it with it should always make you grin when you get behind the wheel and drive it.

My 2JZ-GTE manual SC300 does that for me and I'll put some other new model with a manual transmission next to it before the new options will all be EVs.

Even then I'll still be very picky and insist/expect that the EV be very driver oriented and be actually fun to drive. If I have to severely hack it or totally replace the main electronics with aftermarket and/or open source electronics at that point to get what I want from a model that starts out closest to what I want in a fun car then so be it.

It's just a type of transmission. It only has so many years left in pretty much only special enthusiast models going forward. For those who like it there's nothing wrong with their own prioritizing the enjoyment of it for as long as it's still around before everything goes EV... which will render engine sound moot, totally change what tuning can be done and which will make nearly all torque curve correction unnecessary.

Except for manual cars converted to EV which will still have just a little of the fun factor left in even though shifting won't be necessary most of the time. But hey, to each their own at that point ;)

I say again... I have nothing against the Supra's ZF8 transmission. It's very good. If an auto remains the only transmission type on offer for the entire model run then it takes nothing away from the sportscar as is and the MKV is also not the only sportscar and enthusiast fun model out there.

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Oh it certainly does (put a smile on my face every time I drive it)... however, I would love to have the opportunity to augment that smile with the satisfaction of having another pedal in it. As it is, I see that as a very, very remote possibility unfortunately. However, with the new BRZ and 400Z being future (budget friendly) options... as well as existing Porsche possibilities (though far less budget friendly ones) I'll survive somehow. ;)

It helps greatly that the manual option (if it were to ever actually happen) would also be sourced from BMW and likely not all that great by comparison. At least I tell myself that it wouldn't be a very good one... makes it easier to forgive. LOL. I do have to say that the ZF8 is an incredible "slush box" - easily the best I've ever driven, and surprisingly comparable to the DCT in the Cayman I had (not quite there, but close).

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Well my .2 cents. I have had at least one manual vehicle in my garage since I was 16. I turn 50 in a few weeks. I currently have an SS1LE Camaro (6 speed manual) and I put in an order for a C8 Corvette (DCT only option). I finally came to terms that with modern transmissions that they are just better performance for the dollar. I say this after driving a Porsche PDK Cayman vs a Porsche Cayman 6 speed manual back to back. For the first time I can remember,I got more excited driving the PDK. I didn't feel less engaged with the paddles in manual mode, and it felt to me like Porsche spent more time and money on the PDK integration than the manual, which had really tall gearing and did not seem like it was paired as well with the engine. With all the continued C8 delays I cancelled my deposit and I hope to bring home a Supra by the end of this week.

My thought is this. I have been thinking about a fun project car for a long time, maybe an older Miata or Lotus Elise. Something very light weight, low tech, and a manual. So if I end up missing the manual that much in the Supra I will put the savings from the C8 towards that type of project.

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra

/rant ;)
100% this! The Supra is my first auto sports car and it’s a very good one despite my initial apprehension. But options are good! I’d like to see both offered but don’t have high hopes. I’ll add another manual car to the garage at some point, but not because it’s better or worse, but 3 pedals offers a different engagement/driving experience that is enjoyable in its own, irreplaceable fashion.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid

/rant ;)
That final jab resonated with me deeply. Love it.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
I'm happy with the automatic Supra. I had a manual 370z before the Supra, and there was times I wish it was an automatic. I imagine if you live downtown in a major city, driving a manual would sometimes be a pain in stop and go traffic. I just purchased a 2019 Honda Civic SI with a manual shift for my daily driver. That should satisfy my cravings for shifting gears.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
I used to think the same thing and even had a couple of "back and forth" with him but at the end of the day, he duped me and I fell for it......now it's just a good laugh....LOL

Back on topic.....my last manual was a 3rd gen FD RX-7 that was an ABSOLUTE SYMPHONY OF EMOTIONS to drive. Best car I had ever driven.......until the SUPRA even though it is an auto!!!!! Back then, the thought of buying one with an auto (which they did offer), was not even a thought.

I like manuals as well but my soul was not connected to one. Never driven a Porsche but it seems that the ZF8 in the Supra is being compared a lot to the pdk in the Porsche so that tells me just how good it is. Still feel that economics is playing more of a role in the manual choices being offered today.

Little nostalgia for the MK4 and manual crowd.....just take note of the one that was favored.....lol
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.