👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
What is wrong with the B58??? The MKV just needs a manual option, 6 piston calipers, lighter wheels, and some flashier aero and it’s good to go!
Nothing, just S58 is a better version of B58 :D
I'd rather see -100kg than +200hp tbh...
And manual... every1 says they will buy one but when its time to put money on the table 9/10 gets an auto.
I agree with brakes (never 2much stopping power) and lighter wheels (11.5kg stock is not "optimal").
Sponsored

Last edited:

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2021 Toyota Sienna
Nothing, just S58 is a better version of B58 :D
I'd rather see -100kg than +200hp tbh...
And manual... every1 says they will buy one but when its to put money on the table 9/10 gets an auto.
I agree with brakes (never 2much stopping power) and lighter wheels (11.5kg stock is not "optimal").
This^

Car enthusiasts are the loudest crowd (no offense) but when it comes to take rates, the autos outnumber the manuals 9:1. That is aside from Porsche owners. They're about split.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
This whole situation with the S58 potentially being thrown into the Supra reminds me of when BMW decided to "upgrade" the M2 with the S55.

If you guys aren't familiar with that whole debacle, I'll try to summarize it for you....

In short, lots of regular M2 owners were initially really pissed off about the news. But once the car released, it honestly wasn't that worth it to upgrade. The car was slightly faster but also weighed about 100-150 lbs more. Although a lot of M2 owners ended up switching to the M2 comp (with the S55), they did so mainly because BMW threw in a hoist of other upgrades. These upgrades included better seats, interior, BRAKES....etc... which made things worth it.
Yep, this is accurate as a N55 M2 ex-owner. I will add, that the one huge turn off for me with the S55 was the exhaust note due to the twin turbos. Didn't matter what after market exhaust and or downpipe you installed, the M2 with S55 engine never sounded good (in my personal opinion); while the N55 sounded freaking amazing (close to what the B58 sounds).

If Supra goes with the S58 engine, it would be the same story. I do not like the S58 exhaust note at all. Some people may say you don't buy a car just for it's sound; but to me, sound is everything. Just my 2 cents.

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2021 Toyota Sienna
Yep, this is accurate as a N55 M2 ex-owner. I will add, that the one huge turn off for me with the S55 was the exhaust note due to the twin turbos. Didn't matter what after market exhaust and or downpipe you installed, the M2 with S55 engine never sounded good (in my personal opinion); while the N55 sounded freaking amazing (close to what the B58 sounds).

If Supra goes with the S58 engine, it would be the same story. I do not like the S58 exhaust note at all. Some people may say you don't buy a car just for it's sound; but to me, sound is everything. Just my 2 cents.
haha! Totally forgot about the difference in noise. Yes! So many complaints about it. The N55 definitely sounded better.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
This^

Car enthusiasts are the loudest crowd (no offense) but when it comes to take rates, the autos outnumber the manuals 9:1. That is aside from Porsche owners. They're about split.
I was shocked when I read recently that more Toyota 86 buyers in recent years were buying the 6AT vs the 6 speed manual. To a tune to 73% auto vs 27% manual. Pretty shocking. But with the BRZ Subaru was seeing the opposite, where majority of buyers bought the manual.

I have driven the 6AT in the BRZ, and it was just okay at best and not on par with the ZF.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
What is wrong with the B58??? The MKV just needs a manual option, 6 piston calipers, lighter wheels, and some flashier aero and it’s good to go!
Stock, the S58 on the new M3 has been dynoed at 548hp and 480tq. If Toyota were trying to offer a more powerful variant of the Supra this would surely be a good way to do it. This would not be a small bump it would be significant. I do think this engine would pair really well with the ZF too.

From a manual perspective they should offer it on every trim possible, from the 2.0 up to the 3.0. I hope if they do offer it, it is not on some limited model with a much higher price tag.

We have been promised almost annual changes with the Supra and Tada mentioned several times that the car will see performance updates several times throughout the MKV generation. We have had one bump I fully expect another. S58 may not be likely though because that may require suspension upgrade, brakes, cooling, bigger wheels/tires, etc, etc. They have to make sure the car is reliable through the warranty period and beyond. I do think a car like this, while possible, could push the car M3/M4 territory price wise ($80-100K) and I am not sure how that will sell unles we are talking very limited run like 200-500 models.

Jaxness

First Name
Jax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxness.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra LE #1292, 2012 Yamaha R6

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Last edited:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I believe it to be true. I have a friend in Los Angeles that drives prototype cars and reports back on their drivability. He sent me a video of him driving a manual MKV, because he knows the auto is the only thing I dislike about my Supra. He's not capable of the level of video editing skills required to fake it, and it looks pretty damn real to me.

And I obviously won't post the video and risk his job, so I expect a lot of "yea right" responses.
But if any of you are local and want to see, I'd be happy to share, lol.
Tada-san has said in many interviews that there are manual prototypes that are testing.

However, just because there are prototypes doesn't mean that it will make production.

Case in point:
Convertible, shooting brake, hybrid, and turbo versions of the 86 were also confirmed to have working prototypes or mules and none of them ever saw the light of day.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
Manuals are so much fun in the right conditions and really connect you to the car but the ZF transmission is a modern marvel.

I have the same in my X3MC as the Supra and its just amazing and doesn't really leave me wanting a manual (which is surprising). I never use the paddles.

I have to wonder though, once electric cars become the mainstream are people going to want to give up the ICE for logical reasons (assuming it is faster) or will people hold onto that too?

Next will be self driving cars and then we'll all be in pods that take us from A to B lol.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Next will be self driving cars and then we'll all be in pods that take us from A to B lol.
I'm sorry, but as someone born in 1985 that grew up tinkering with (and eventually building & programming) computers as we saw the proliferation of them taking control over every aspect of our lives, I don't trust them to not burn my morning toast, let alone safely pilot my vehicle on public roads! Eff. That.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.