👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
My V8 swapped 86 is using the stock transmission with a twin disk FX725. It is considerably worse getting it moving from a stop than the previous organic clutch I had. 1st gear is practically useless even with a taller 3.73 rear end. At least it holds the power. I have daily driven that thing for almost 1 year and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Can't wait to throw that transmission out for a T56.
The T56 Magnum has become the choice transmission nowadays, good move. Although pricier than other options, it is uber strong.
Sponsored

Reactions: BRX

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
There was an interview with BMWs Z4 product managers and the most important news seems to be this one:

“The [sDrive]30i and [M]40i will only come with a sport automatic,” said Ederer. “The 20i will come with a manual gearbox as standard”. If you’re in Europe, don’t expect the manual until 2019, though.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/14/interview-we-talk-bmw-z4-with-its-product-managers/

There’s no need that Toyota goes the same way, but my guess is: If there ever will be a manual, it will only be available for the Supra 20i.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
I spend a lot of time on the GM Performance website, and according to them, the T-56 Magnum can hold some 700-single-digit torque, and it's like $5k.
(Looking at you Tada, surely you can make a tranny that handles 3/4 that for cheaper)
Did you use an LS or a BB crate? V8-swapped Sciobarus are nice.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
And you mated a T-56 to that? How?
Would be useful to apply to other engines.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
And you mated a T-56 to that? How?
Would be useful to apply to other engines.
I haven't yet. I will eventually. I mated the factory 6 speed (J160/AZ6) to it. It's not that hard if you know what you're doing or at least know a shop that does. All you need is an adapter plate, custom flywheel, transmission mounts, a custom shifter extension, and a custom driveshaft.

If that sounds expensive, it's because it is even without the cost of a T56. That's the only reason why I just went with the factory 6 speed for now, cost.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Some good news here is that the B48 and B58 are modular. Any manual transmission and flywheel designed for the 20i will fit a 40i. (Strength issues aside). Not that it matters as much as there already exists components for the B58 for a manual from other cars like the M240i.

The real nicety would be the existence of mounting hardware, hydraulic components and pedals.

Yes this would work nicely if built. Less components that need to be designed.

Jeff

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Some good news here is that the B48 and B58 are modular. Any manual transmission and flywheel designed for the 20i will fit a 40i. (Strength issues aside). Not that it matters as much as there already exists components for the B58 for a manual from other cars like the M240i.

The real nicety would be the existence of mounting hardware, hydraulic components and pedals.

Yes this would work nicely if built. Less components that need to be designed.

Jeff
Keep it on the down low, we don't want Toyota/BMW to make it even more difficult than it already is.

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
https://www.goodspress.jp/reports/199248/2/

By the way, the test car that was prepared this time was "the specification with the highest performance" (Mr. Tada). It is worrisome what kind of specifications will be included, including development after release, but for now there is no formal information. However, I would like to report from Tada that I heard some fun comments such as "There is enough torque even with a 2-liter turbo engine" or "I have tested the MT specification the other day."

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
"specification with the highest performance"
I'd like to believe this is the serialized MKV he's talking about but he probably means it's the I6 not the lower spec I4.

"There is enough torque even with a 2-liter turbo engine" or "I have tested the MT specification the other day."
I hope I'm wrong but those two sentences back to back makes me think only the I4 will get the manual transmission.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
The test car this time was a right hand specification, but a turn signal lever was attached to the left side of the steering column (Japanese specification appears to be a turn signal on the left side)

------------

And above all, the sound that reaches the ears was comfortable. The sound that is transmitted to the driver in the car is said to be "directed with a speaker" (Mr. Tada)

-------------

The test car this time is still a prototype under development, and further refinements are scheduled before release. Even after being launched, Mr. Tada talks about his vision, "Every year, we will make improvements by adding variations."

All excerpts from that article.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
"Every year, we will make improvements by adding variations."
So if we want the best MKV we should wait 'till the end of it's production cycle :doh:

Hopefully it would get a manual transmission & 400-500hp, what it should have had from launch.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.